Business Success

We all understand Filipino culture from different points of view and each situation and each Filipinas family is very different, so one size cannot fit all and both your ways of doing things may be correct for your respective families and it will continue to change as your situations change. Believe me on this one.

You are so right.

In discussing and advising Miss C on the boat purchase arrangement, I took into account my experiences in dealing in business with provincial Filipinos and the insight Miss C gave me on her family and their way of thinking and doing things. By working together to help achieve Miss C's goals, we hope for a successful outcome.

That outcome is for her parents to be relatively financially secure in their latter years without the need (or want) for further regular financial help from herself.

Edited by RBS
  • Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• RBS

• Bob Ward

• HTM

• ckfm

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

You have a good idea and I really hope it works for you, I have tried and failed so many times, but I have still not totally given up. My wife is great and one of her nieces is great but most of the rest of our family has no idea how to save or how to look out for tomorrow and they will most likely never have any more than they now have, sad but a reality........ I have sent 6 to college and only one finished and his story is still yet to be told, and I only hope that it is a success story but I do have my doubts and feel like most of the money spent over the years has just been wasted, but on the other hand, if it brought some happiness to some lives, then it was at least spent well in that aspect. Teaching them to make a difference in the lives is the correct thing to do IMHO, while throwing money at them does nothing but makes them rely on that money, so keep up the good work and maybe it will spread and improve other lives.

..... Teaching them to make a difference in the lives is the correct thing to do IMHO, while throwing money at them does nothing but makes them rely on that money, .....

This is what I have learned over the past 12 years associated with Filipinos in the Philippines. I was pleasantly surprised when Miss C originally told me that she thought the same thing about the money that she was giving her parents each month. Miss C wanted a future for herself and for her parents, independent of Miss C's circumstances.

Remember, this was Miss C's idea. All I did was offer my guidance, counsel and one half of the financial support. I suppose Miss C could have done it without my financial support, it just would have taken much longer. I also believe that it was easier for Miss C to get her parents to agree to repaying the cost of the boat because a "foreign businessman" (not just a "rich foreigner") was involved in the arrangements.

I think that if it was just her savings involved, there would be little likelihood of her parents ever paying off the new boat. Her parents (and even possibly Miss C) would have considered it as just another "gift" from their daughter working in Cebu.

Those are all relatively small amounts. To each his own but if the story is true, then I would feel uncomfortable planting some kind of mistrust (interest charged to her parents, secrets etc.) which could have quite some effect for the future, IF Miss C may change her mind about the generosity/help applied by her saviour and/or her relationship with her family.

Micro-lending like this is the best way to help people. There is so much talk on this forum about scammers, lazy Filipinos and failed attempts to assist family members. Thanks for posting your success story. It provides a more positive, and in my experience realistic, view of Filipinos.

Scammers, lazy filipinos, and failed attempts to assist were all true and still do exist. RBS story worked out because the person he helped is already working and knows his skill well. Its just RBS provided Miss Cs father the best alternative to earn more at the same time his kindness not been taken for granted thru repayment. Try to assist a filipino who is neither working or looking for work --either by setting up business or hiring them, their earning would just end up to his drinking buddies and cockpit arena. The reason why the Bombay (indian lenders) are thriving because most filipinos are contented to live day to day and not setting long term goals.

Yes, and al American is thick and criminal. :as-if: If we are going use the standard that many are using her on LinC about the RP and the people. This is perhaps more accurate about the Americans based on the facts:

65 percent of adults are overweight or obesity, by 30 percent of overweight, 30 percent with obesity and five percent with extreme obesity. (Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, CDC)

And:

Measured against the population, the percentage prisoners in the United States over five times as high as in Britain, just over six times as high as in China and nearly nine times as high as in France. The number of prisoners in relation to population is also three-and-a-half times higher in the U.S. than in countries like Iran and Libya. (Human Rights Watch and Bureau of Justice)

In a country with as many people as RP there are many variations of truths. Do not judge all because there are some bad eggs.

Personally I know several of Americans who are not thick and criminal. :D

Pleas read this with a smile, not as an insult on the US and Americans.

Harry

Here is again an example which I pointed out before.

First you insult people (oh yes, in Scandinavia this may be funny but not in the US of A) and then you expect to be forgiven.

You cannot make an insult unhappen with the remark that it is not meant to be an insult. LOGIC, SENSITIVITY

:thats-funny:

Here is again an example which I pointed out before.

First you insult people (oh yes, in Scandinavia this may be funny but not in the US of A) and then you expect to be forgiven.

You cannot make an insult unhappen with the remark that it is not meant to be an insult. LOGIC, SENSITIVITY

:(

NO I don

Those are all relatively small amounts. To each his own but if the story is true, then I would feel uncomfortable planting some kind of mistrust (interest charged to her parents, secrets etc.) which could have quite some effect for the future, IF Miss C may change her mind about the generosity/help applied by her saviour and/or her relationship with her family.

Whether you believe or not what has happened with Miss C and her family is of no concern to me. I have just tried to explain in an abbreviated way what has happened. I have also explained to you why "interest" was charged on the capital advanced.

As for "secrets" (a savings bank account) between Miss C and her parents, I gave Miss C my suggestion and reasons. Whether she follows through with that is her decision. I am not a control type of person. I have given Miss C the opportunity to make the decisions.

I believe that this small venture is succeeding because Miss C could see a problem developing in the longer term (not that common for provincial Filipinos) and wanted to do something about it. Although I suggested many alternative ways for Miss C to achieve her goal, it was Miss C who thought of and decided that the best way was with a motorised fishing boat. Her reasoning to me was that her papa is already a successful and hard-working fisherman having successfully raised a large family through his fishing efforts. With a motorised fishing boat, he did not have to learn any great new skills. All we were doing was increasing his capacity to earn and thus benefit the whole family unit.

How Miss C convinced her parents to enter into her (not my) arrangement, I know not. That was entirely between Miss C and her family. All I know is that I am still a very welcome guest whenever I visit and stay with Miss C's family.

Edited by RBS

Whether you believe or not what has happened with Miss C and her family is of no concern to me. I have just tried to explain in an abbreviated way what has happened. I have also explained to you why "interest" was charged on the capital advanced.

As for "secrets" (a savings bank account) between Miss C and her parents, I gave Miss C my suggestion and reasons. Whether she follows through with that is her decision. I am not a control type of person. I have given Miss C the opportunity to make the decisions.

I believe that this small venture is succeeding because Miss C could see a problem developing in the longer term (not that common for provincial Filipinos) and wanted to do something about it. Although I suggested many alternative ways for Miss C to achieve her goal, it was Miss C who thought of and decided that the best way was with a motorised fishing boat. Her reasoning to me was that her papa is already a successful and hard-working fisherman having successfully raised a large family through his fishing efforts. With a motorised fishing boat, he did not have to learn any great new skills. All we were doing was increasing his capacity to earn and thus benefit the whole family unit.

How Miss C convinced her parents to enter into her (not my) arrangement, I know not. That was entirely between Miss C and her family. All I know is that I am still a very welcome guest whenever I visit and stay with Miss C's family.

“Some” are just jealous of others success in dealing with the culture in RP. They have had bad experiences themselves, and therefore it must be the country and the people that there's something wrong with. ....

I'm going a bit OT here, however I will try and explain my approach to dealing with people (not just Filipinos) and problems in business.

When dealing with people, I always try to learn as much about the person as I reasonably can that I am dealing with. I then try and put myself in their shoes and into their way of thinking. When problems develop or something goes wrong, I do not look for blame in others but only within myself. I then learn from my experiences, and hopefully am more successful in the future.

Having business dealings in the Philippines over the past 10 or more years has been a steep learning curve for me. I still have failures and more to learn, however the successes are becoming more numerous.

Edited by RBS
Bet_Busta

Back to motorized boats and fishing, just want to share some thought:

1. Rather than than a small boat for each person, how about a bigger one where everybody

work together.

2. Am assuming the the engine used is a gasoline engine. Might consider a diesel engine as

it is safer

Back to motorized boats and fishing, just want to share some thought:

1. Rather than than a small boat for each person, how about a bigger one where everybody

work together.

2. Am assuming the the engine used is a gasoline engine. Might consider a diesel engine as

it is safer

A larger boat was not considered, mainly due to capital restraints. It was important to me that Miss C be heavily (50%) involved financially in this arrangement. To do this, she had to skimp and save P10,000 while still trying to provide financial assistance to her parents. Not easy for her, but it proved her motivation to me.

Having a larger boat means more crew required. This could have come from the family, however if some of the required crew is not available for whatever reason, the larger boat could not be worked and the whole family would suffer.

The boat was actually a package deal from a local boat builder, so we really had no choice in engine type. It is agreed that a diesel engine is safer, however capital costs and future maintenance must come into play. Gasoline engines are cheaper to purchase and knowledge on small gasoline engine maintenance/repair is much more readily available in the provinces.

..... Teaching them to make a difference in the lives is the correct thing to do IMHO, while throwing money at them does nothing but makes them rely on that money, .....

This is what I have learned over the past 12 years associated with Filipinos in the Philippines. I was pleasantly surprised when Miss C originally told me that she thought the same thing about the money that she was giving her parents each month. Miss C wanted a future for herself and for her parents, independent of Miss C's circumstances.

Remember, this was Miss C's idea. All I did was offer my guidance, counsel and one half of the financial support. I suppose Miss C could have done it without my financial support, it just would have taken much longer. I also believe that it was easier for Miss C to get her parents to agree to repaying the cost of the boat because a "foreign businessman" (not just a "rich foreigner") was involved in the arrangements.

I think that if it was just her savings involved, there would be little likelihood of her parents ever paying off the new boat. Her parents (and even possibly Miss C) would have considered it as just another "gift" from their daughter working in Cebu.

RBS, this is a sweet thread and very well written ! Thanks, I think for a lot of us this thread is a great one to share with our Significant Other.

The share and support mentality, while endearing and sweet is also one of the most destructive factors I can see so far; as it's almost always abused. You and Miss C have done an admirable and more importantly real life example. Great way to build equity, and maybe even some planning skills.

Has Miss C's father sat down and looked at a detailed budget ever?

It doesn't take long to see that, normal business and budgeting skills seem to be startling concepts to many Filipinos. Not to say this doesn't happen in the West....but there we've all heard the people who tend to do this referred to as welfare waste.

Glad to see the well-fare you two provided isn't being wasted.

.... Has Miss C's father sat down and looked at a detailed budget ever? ....

I doubt if Miss C's papa has even attended high school. A budget to him would probably be incomprehensible. I prepared a rather brief and simple budget/business plan and showed it to Miss C. That took a bit of explaining on my part for her to gain some basic understanding of what I supplied to her.

Miss C is a 22 year old and only a 4-year high school graduate, however she is "street smart" and no dummy. At least she tries to understand and is willing to learn.

Miss C and I still need to work on her idea for her mama's cooked seafood stall in the local markets.

• 3 months later...
Balintawak

That is some good reading RBS.

Ive been thinking some similare strategy for my extended family aswell, just not sure what direction yet. Thanks for the post. Its inspiering. <_<

• 3 weeks later...

Last September, Miss C's papa made his final repayment on the motorised fishing boat. It now belongs to him and he is so proud and happy to have achieved such progress for his family.

Last month (November 2008), I had the pleasure of visiting Miss C's family on Bohol. I spent a few nights living in her parents' bahay kubo near the small cove where papa and his 4 sons keep their boats. I was able to spend some free time with papa and he was able to tell me (through Miss C) some recent history of his family fishing business.

Prior to getting his motorised fishing boat, the family were very poor. At times, they did not even have enough money to buy rice and the family just went hungry. Since getting his motorised fishing boat in 2007, papa and his family's income has increased substantially. They (as a family) have-

• Repaid the P24k on the purchase price of the motorised fishing boat.
  • Purchased 3 fishing nets (further increasing their income), not cheap at P5k to P8k each.
  • Doubled the size of papa's bahay kubo - now 2 bedroom, dining room, lounge, front porch and out-side dirty kitchen.
  • Purchased a second hand "rice tractor". This the family use (when fishing is poor) doing contract work on local rice farms to further increase their income.
  • Purchased a small second-hand colour TV for the family.
  • Purchased a basic cell phone for the family.

I suggested to papa that I would like to again lend him some money to buy a second motorised fishing boat for his family. He was very grateful for my offer, but declined my full offer. He said that he would first save half the cost of another motorised fishing boat and I would then only need to lend him the other half of the purchase price. His reasoning here is that he would then only have to repay me half as much each quarter for the second boat. Smart man!

After a wonderful few days with the family, I returned to Cebu, then Manila and back to Australia.

This morning I received a message from papa. He has found a suitable second motorised fishing boat for the family. Cost is P22,000. He asked me to lend him P10,000 (to be repaid at P3,000 per quarter over 12 months). He has some savings towards his part of the purchase price and the vendor is willing to let him pay the balance off interest free.

It still surprises me at how resourceful and committed this family is to increasing their lot in life. Miss C is very fortunate to be part of such a wonderful family and I consider myself lucky to know them and be able to help.

Edited by RBS