Business Success

JohninCebu
It was an easy situation to start with. He already worked every day and made a good income. Good set up to help him even more. I am just wondering why Miss C had to give them 5,000/month if he already made a relatively good income. Here comes my doubt about the whole story. How could she afford to pay 5,000/month to her father who already had a relatively good income. Why did they need you? I don't get it. The story is not believable in my opinion. Sorry to spoil the party.

It is the Filipino way. Every woman I know who is earning gives to their parents, even if they are earning and relatively comfortable. It is expected and RBS's story and further info fits the real way of life here.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• RBS

• Bob Ward

• HTM

• ckfm

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

mikejwoodnz

What is so unusual about helping support your family ? - My family have been helping themselves to my support all my life :-) We send rice money to my wife's family every month - I wouldn't like to think of my mother in law denying herself food to support her family for the rest of her life - she did enough of that while they were growing up.

I'm impressed! What a great way to handle such a situation. Not only did you help financially, you taught the family a valuable lesson in finances that already seems to have helped steer them towards a more stable and secure future.

My sister and brother in law work with aid in areas of the world that make most parts of Phili' seem rich. (Afghanistan, Malawi etc) If you don't mind, this will be a lovely little story to share at the next family reunion.

My sister and brother in law work with aid in areas of the world that make most parts of Phili' seem rich. (Afghanistan, Malawi etc) If you don't mind, this will be a lovely little story to share at the next family reunion.

I have no problem with that. Just remember that what we (Miss C and I) did here was based on working within Filipino cultural expectations.

There is some logic missing in my opinion. We are supporting our wifes family too. What I am questioning is

why they needed your help in the first place? If she made 10 to 15 K (how come her income is not fixed, does she have a business?) abd gave her gamily 5 K/month, it would be very easy to save up the money to buy their own boat.

why she charged her father interest? A daughter given her parents money and then charging interest?

you are saying that it is a cultural thing to support but basically cutting her off/instructing her not to do that anymore. Why, if you understand the culture so well?

You are telling her to keep secrets from her family? Did you know that Filipino families have no secrets? Why is this necessary, the family so far should great appreciation for their savior?

Now all of a sudden Miss C. has 45 K in her bank account. Wow?

When will they move to Maria Luisa?

Bob Ward
There is some logic missing in my opinion. We are supporting our wifes family too. What I am questioning is

why they needed your help in the first place? If she made 10 to 15 K (how come her income is not fixed, does she have a business?) abd gave her gamily 5 K/month, it would be very easy to save up the money to buy their own boat.

why she charged her father interest? A daughter given her parents money and then charging interest?

you are saying that it is a cultural thing to support but basically cutting her off/instructing her not to do that anymore. Why, if you understand the culture so well?

You are telling her to keep secrets from her family? Did you know that Filipino families have no secrets? Why is this necessary, the family so far should great appreciation for their savior?

Now all of a sudden Miss C. has 45 K in her bank account. Wow?

When will they move to Maria Luisa?

C,

Lighten up just a shade. :thumbsup:

In my opinion, he is doing it right for his particular environment. But what the hell do I know eh?

But every one of your questions has merit!!!

Very nice story....

I hope you and Miss C will continue your initial success...

Way to go!

Micro-lending like this is the best way to help people. There is so much talk on this forum about scammers, lazy Filipinos and failed attempts to assist family members. Thanks for posting your success story. It provides a more positive, and in my experience realistic, view of Filipinos.

Scammers, lazy filipinos, and failed attempts to assist were all true and still do exist. RBS story worked out because the person he helped is already working and knows his skill well. Its just RBS provided Miss Cs father the best alternative to earn more at the same time his kindness not been taken for granted thru repayment. Try to assist a filipino who is neither working or looking for work --either by setting up business or hiring them, their earning would just end up to his drinking buddies and cockpit arena. The reason why the Bombay (indian lenders) are thriving because most filipinos are contented to live day to day and not setting long term goals.

Micro-lending like this is the best way to help people. There is so much talk on this forum about scammers, lazy Filipinos and failed attempts to assist family members. Thanks for posting your success story. It provides a more positive, and in my experience realistic, view of Filipinos.

Scammers, lazy filipinos, and failed attempts to assist were all true and still do exist. RBS story worked out because the person he helped is already working and knows his skill well. Its just RBS provided Miss Cs father the best alternative to earn more at the same time his kindness not been taken for granted thru repayment. Try to assist a filipino who is neither working or looking for work --either by setting up business or hiring them, their earning would just end up to his drinking buddies and cockpit arena. The reason why the Bombay (indian lenders) are thriving because most filipinos are contented to live day to day and not setting long term goals.

Yes, and al American is thick and criminal. :thumbsup: If we are going use the standard that many are using her on LinC about the RP and the people. This is perhaps more accurate about the Americans based on the facts:

65 percent of adults are overweight or obesity, by 30 percent of overweight, 30 percent with obesity and five percent with extreme obesity. (Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, CDC)

And:

Measured against the population, the percentage prisoners in the United States over five times as high as in Britain, just over six times as high as in China and nearly nine times as high as in France. The number of prisoners in relation to population is also three-and-a-half times higher in the U.S. than in countries like Iran and Libya. (Human Rights Watch and Bureau of Justice)

In a country with as many people as RP there are many variations of truths. Do not judge all because there are some bad eggs.

Personally I know several of Americans who are not thick and criminal. ;)

Pleas read this with a smile, not as an insult on the US and Americans.

Harry

• Admin (Retired)
Aerosick

I'm 5' 8" (173 cm), I weigh 140 pounds (63.5 kg) and the only prison record I have is Johnny Cash singing "Folsom Prison Blues".

Since I was born in Arkansas, USA, where do you fit me into your imaginary America??? Or do you discard the ones that won't fit into your preconceived "box"...

(I think you watch too much TV)

;)

Billy

I'm 5' 8" (173 cm), I weigh 140 pounds (63.5 kg) and the only prison record I have is Johnny Cash singing "Folsom Prison Blues".

Since I was born in Arkansas, USA, where do you fit me into your imaginary America??? Or do you discard the ones that won't fit into your preconceived "box"...

(I think you watch too much TV)

:thumbsup:

Billy

Hmm, maybe not all of the people from the RP are scammers or lazy. :thumbsup: (Shocking) :thumbsup:

Harry

(BTW I

Scaianna, to address the questions that you raised-

1. Why they needed your help in the first place? If she made 10 to 15 K (how come her income is not fixed, does she have a business?) and gave her family 5 K/month, it would be very easy to save up the money to buy their own boat.

Miss C's income varies because it consists of a salary plus commissions. Her living expenses in Lapu-Lapu include about P4k per month for rent, power and gas. She was giving her parents living near Buenavista P3k to P5k per month from her income. This is just the Filipino way. It is not in her Filipino cultural thinking to save long-term (while her parents would not receive her support).

2. why she charged her father interest? A daughter given her parents money and then charging interest?

She was not charging them interest on the money she was giving to her parents. We required her papa to repay more than the boat cost (interest if you like) so that a further boat could be afforded in the future.

3. You are saying that it is a cultural thing to support but basically cutting her off/instructing her not to do that any more. Why, if you understand the culture so well?

I did not instruct her to cut off support for her parents. It was her unilateral decision. Miss C's original intention was to try and set her parents up so that they would not need (or want) additional financial support from her. Her reasoning in this is that one day she expects to marry and have children. Then she will not be in a position to help her parents in their older age.

4. You are telling her to keep secrets from her family? Did you know that Filipino families have no secrets? Why is this necessary, the family so far should great appreciation for their saviour?

Yes I did recommend to her that she keep her saving secret from her family and "friends". It is necessary because the Filipino family/friends unit is almost communistic in their thinking on "wealth". If someone in this unit has much more money than the others, they are expected to share (give) it to the others. this is irrespective of what may have been previously given to those in that unit.

5. Now all of a sudden Miss C. has 45 K in her bank account. Wow?

This includes the P20k (half of which is theoretically mine) already paid by her papa for the new boat plus what she has saved over the past 11 months (about P2k to P3k per month) while not sending support to her parents. She also understands that she needs to be in a financial position to pay for another new boat (probably about P25k) early next year.

6. When will they move to Maria Luisa?

I don't know the place. Miss C is also hoping one day to move into a nice small apartment with rent of about P4k to P5k per month.

Scaianna, I wonder how much you really understand provincial Filipino culture?

Edited by RBS

We all understand Filipino culture from different points of view and each situation and each Filipinas family is very different, so one size cannot fit all and both your ways of doing things may be correct for your respective families and it will continue to change as your situations change. Believe me on this one.

Hmm, maybe not all of the people from the RP are scammers or lazy. ;) (Shocking) :thumbsup:

Harry

(BTW I