Perceptions of Crime in Major Philippine Cities

rainymike

Numbeo is a useful site that I check from time to time. Survey data only, but at least it gives you a sense of how expats perceive a place.

Here you can compare perceived crime rates between Manila, Cebu and Davao. LOL ... see which city wins from the view of those living there.

http://www.numbeo.com/crime/comparison.jsp

smokey

aren't they different populations?     don't scare yourself using citys in the west

Edited by smokey
  • 4 weeks later...

I compared Cebu to my home of New York City and interestingly enough, very similar on the provided link.

contraman

Any place is only as safe as you make it.

I am sure you can find danger in almost any city of the world if you go and look for it.

In almost 3 decades of traveling to the Philippines I find myself in no more danger now,  than I did when I first started coming here.

Sure, I have had a couple of instances of concern. Two to be exact.

1 could have occurred anywhere an was opportunistic on behalf of the perpetrator.

The other was a "Only in the Philippines" moment with the tazer that I have previously reported here.

The bottom line is, If you go looking for trouble,  Anywhere, My bet is you will find it.

• Like 7
smokey

Any place is only as safe as you make it.

I am sure you can find danger in almost any city of the world if you go and look for it.

In almost 3 decades of traveling to the Philippines I find myself in no more danger now,  than I did when I first started coming here.

Sure, I have had a couple of instances of concern. Two to be exact.

1 could have occurred anywhere an was opportunistic on behalf of the perpetrator.

The other was a "Only in the Philippines" moment with the tazer that I have previously reported here.

The bottom line is, If you go looking for trouble,  Anywhere, My bet is you will find it.

by looking for trouble do you mean  its best not to stop in fast food places when its dark out..??  and a big plus is do NOT learn to speak the language or you might be tempted to talk back to a local who is insulting you as a joke

contraman

by looking for trouble do you mean  its best not to stop in fast food places when its dark out..??  and a big plus is do NOT learn to speak the language or you might be tempted to talk back to a local who is insulting you as a joke

Thanks

For Nothing :(

This is one of the most stupid comments I have seen on LinC

(Not the most stupid but one of the most stupid)   :banghead:

F&^%.   My wifes dorm room was broken into while she was in it.  We had an attempted armed robbery and my pocket was picked all in Cebu.   Crimes in US ZERO!

Whiner

• Like 1

It is not a perception when I have had people tell me to my face that for p5000 no one would ever see the person again and where I have had quite a few people offer me guns for the cost of a decent meal out..

While I know hitmen also whack people in the US, people in the US would be more likely to tell authorities if someone asked them where to find a hitman, all you would have to do in the Philippines is ask many a taxi driver or anyone else who gets around, where to buy a gun or how to find a hitman.

Keep a low profile but also a person must make sure to not let someone lose face, or to piss off anyone who has enough money and a reason to want them dead. 

In my extended family some of the men and women have been shot or stabbed, I do not know of any friend or family back home who has, although many years ago I had a guy cut me and shortly after regret he did.

• Like 1

and a big plus is do NOT learn to speak the language or you might be tempted to talk back to a local who is insulting you as a joke

Thanks For Nothing   This is one of the most stupid comments I have seen on LinC (Not the most stupid but one of the most stupid)  

I don't know, I think it maybe be better to not know the local language too much. It's hard enough without knowing it to bite back when people snigger or heckle you. If I really knew what they were saying I might be tempted at arguing like the French and Indian men.

• Like 1
smokey

Thanks

For Nothing :(

This is one of the most stupid comments I have seen on LinC

(Not the most stupid but one of the most stupid)   :banghead:

well thank you for your reply that and 35 peso can get me a coffee at any DD

• 3 weeks later...

F&^%.   My wifes dorm room was broken into while she was in it.  We had an attempted armed robbery and my pocket was picked all in Cebu.   Crimes in US ZERO!

Whiner

I don't know anyone (in the first person) who didn't bring their asawa to the U.S. to live.