Sign in to follow this  
CMoli

How much $ do we bring? Cash, card or travelers checks?

tomaw

oh I did not know they were going to be staying in Boracay sorry I though they were going to some tiny place close to Bogo

No they aren't. I was only making a joke. LOL! :-)

tomaw

I plan on carrying only a small amount of cash and my debit/Visa card. If my card gets lost or stolen we can use my wife's till mine is replaced.

smokey

I plan on carrying only a small amount of cash and my debit/Visa card. If my card gets lost or stolen we can use my wife's till mine is replaced.

well not good for your wife then as normal mail is a few months to arrive LOL

to_dave007

I passed there yesterday and I didn't notice one but confess I didn't look closely.  I'll be back past there on Saturday and I'll check more closely.  That's a pretty small bank, so I doubt it.  But I'll check

Well.. I did pass the Catcom bank yesterday, and I saw no sign of ATM machine from the road.  Not entirely sure, but I'm not actually sure that there's glass in the windows either, and the bank did look like it took it's title of "rural bank" very seriously.

Here's a little more information from the Philippines Central Bank web site.  I'm thinking that a bank with no web site, and no domain of it's own for email, is likely NOT in the ATM phase of banking technology just yet.

Community Rural Bank of Catmon (Cebu), Inc.

Position: President

Address: 684 Corazon, Catmon, Cebu

Number of offices: 5

Fax: (032) 430-9133

Email: [email protected]

miles-high

Traveler's checks? Are those still in existence? I have never seen/heard of those things for the last 20, 30 years... 

cvgtpc1

Traveler's checks? Are those still in existence? I have never seen/heard of those things for the last 20, 30 years... 

I was in a line behind some Asian tourists in a U.S. airport shop recently, they had traveler checks in their hand and I thought the same thing!  LOL

Edited by cvgtpc1

Kabisay-an gid

I was in a line behind some Asian tourists in a U.S. airport shop recently, they had traveler checks in their hand and I thought the same thing!  LOL

They're actually not a bad option for foreigners traveling in the U.S., since tens of thousands of locations nationwide will accept them.

However, as several others in this thread have mentioned, they're definitely not recommended for travel in the Philippines. Very few places accept them. If somebody makes the big mistake of bringing them to the Phils, their best bet for cashing them would be a BPI bank branch at a major shopping mall, but even then there's usually a daily limit on the amount one can cash.

smokey

Hotel will cash them but if the rate is 45 to one they will give you 42 to one ...

Kabisay-an gid

Hotel will cash them but if the rate is 45 to one they will give you 42 to one ...

Many hotels in the provinces won't accept them, even if you're staying there. A fairly decent hotel I stayed at in Leyte for two weeks some years back, flatly refused to accept them.

Typically just the nicer hotels in the bigger cities that have a substantive foreign clientele will accept them, though there are the occasional exceptions in the provinces.

Enuff

so, curious how your adventure was

SkyMan
However, as several others in this thread have mentioned, they're definitely not recommended for travel in the Philippines.

But if they're stolen they're still secure because the thief can't sell them either.   :)

Edited by SkyMan