Sign in to follow this  
CMoli

How much $ do we bring? Cash, card or travelers checks?

Enuff

What merchant would accept a credit card in the privince?

If you run out of money you can use the CC at the atm to get pesos. Bogo City, 45 mins north, has at least 8 atms available. All will take a CC.

Sure you will pay extra for cash advance but if it's lost or stolen just call and cancel.

A debit card is very similar but slightly different rules on fraud reimbursement.

Edited by bigmook

smokey

What merchant would accept a credit card in the privince?

If you run out of money you can use the CC at the atm to get pesos. Bogo City, 45 mins north, has at least 8 atms available. All will take a CC.

Sure you will pay extra for cash advance but if it's lost or stolen just call and cancel.

A debit card is very similar but slightly different rules on fraud reimbursement.

well lets hope they don't need a ride to bogo and find the banks are on one of their 50 holidays a year and you can use an American credit card to get a cash advance at a bank that is not your bank in the usa ?  I find using the banks own atm often don't work at their own bank never mind a bank they never heard of they better have the hook up on the right bank in bogo

Enuff

I'm sure you run into problems everywhere you go.

I have account at eastwest bank and use whatever atm is nearest. Never had a problem. Also never had an issue using an American credit card at Philippines atm.

I guess I'm just super duper lucky.

Edited by bigmook

smokey

I'm sure you run into problems everywhere you go.

I have account at eastwrst bank and use whatever atm is nearest. Never had a problem. Also never had an issue using an American credit card at Philippines atm.

I guess I'm just super duper lucky.

well most American credit cards will be flagged when you try to use them unless you tell your bank in advance your going to the Philippines... but you already knew that and unless they have an account in east west bank already chance are they wont have an atm card from that bank ...  and only certain CC can be used to get cash advance and often you need to inform the bank before you travel and they charge a nice fee for the use of a cash advance   ,,,,,  now how much can you draw using your east west atm say in Russia ? These guys are on vacation and maybe don't have bank accts set up here already

Edited by smokey

Enuff

well most American credit cards will be flagged when you try to use them unless you tell your bank in advance your going to the Philippines... but you already knew that and unless they have an account in east west bank already chance are they wont have an atm card from that bank ...  and only certain CC can be used to get cash advance and often you need to inform the bank before you travel and they charge a nice fee for the use of a cash advance   ,,,,,  now how much can you draw using your east west atm say in Russia ? These guys are on vacation and maybe don't have bank accts set up here already

you're absolutely correct about everything

master of all worlds, far and near

• Like 1

smokey

you're absolutely correct about everything

master of all worlds, far and near

i learned the hard way ... first trip i came with travelers checks..  second trip credit card.. denied call the 1 800 number on the back of your card ... oh this number is not free if your calling from a number outside the us you will be charged direct dialed rates  /////   due to the heavy volume of calls we are receiving your wait time will be ... 10 min...  please stay on the line your call is important to us you wait time is now 8 min...

CMoli

Heres the answers to several questions. We won the home in a charity live auction...which I now realize that we paid a lot for (but it was to a worthy cause so Im good with that). The staff that works at the home are very honest, per the owner, and will be taking us to exchange money. As of right now after reading I think we have decided to bring $1000 USD in new $100 bills, per couple. 3,000 in pesos from our local money exchange (here in LA) and bring our debit card. I have already notified our bank of the dates we will be there. One question, cant remember if its been answered. Do I have to declare what we are bringing in if its under $10,000 USD...or is it different there. We will not have to travel with that much cash all the time, as once we get to the house we can lock our money up. I assume if we run out of money the staff will be able to help us locate a bank ATM within an hour or so...maybe on one of our outings. Thanks all for the info...its getting less scary each day thanks to this forum...and highly amusing. 

• Like 1

Cipro

Biggest issue I had was all the ATMs in town being empty on payday.

Enuff

Heres the answers to several questions. We won the home in a charity live auction...which I now realize that we paid a lot for (but it was to a worthy cause so Im good with that). The staff that works at the home are very honest, per the owner, and will be taking us to exchange money. As of right now after reading I think we have decided to bring $1000 USD in new $100 bills, per couple. 3,000 in pesos from our local money exchange (here in LA) and bring our debit card. I have already notified our bank of the dates we will be there. One question, cant remember if its been answered. Do I have to declare what we are bringing in if its under $10,000 USD...or is it different there. We will not have to travel with that much cash all the time, as once we get to the house we can lock our money up. I assume if we run out of money the staff will be able to help us locate a bank ATM within an hour or so...maybe on one of our outings. Thanks all for the info...its getting less scary each day thanks to this forum...and highly amusing. 

$3000 usd is about p130,000 +/-  less than p10,000 per day

not sure of your eating habits or cost of the van hire you have arranged but 6 adults eating in a local restaurant will run about p1,000 much more if you go to an upscale restaurant. I would think a van hire will run more than p3,000 per day.

depending on the outings you have planned they could run p2,500 to p10,000 per day (snorkeling, scuba, boat excursions, sightseeing tours, mountain biking, ferry to Camotes etc.)

keep in mind if you do need cash that most US cards only allow $400 per day (p17,000) so going to get cash could be time consuming.

also, download an app for exchange rates prior to leaving. once in hotel in Cebu check the rates to make sure you are getting a favorable rate. The money changer in Ayala @ Rustans is typically very good. if rate is p44.126 to $1 they will be around p44.000 or more. an exchange rate of p43 will net you p3,000 less.

Edited by bigmook

CMoli

$3000 usd is about p130,000 +/-  less than p10,000 per day

Do you know if we need to claim this when entering the country?

Enuff

Do you know if we need to claim this when entering the country?

no, if unmarried, each person can bring up to $10,000 usd each, if married its $10,000 usd per family/couple. No need to mention at all.

Monsoon

6 of us will be staying in Sogod Cebu in a house for 14 days. Home has a staff and driver that we'll be paying. They'll be shopping and cooking for us as well. My question is how much should each couple bring for a 14 day stay to pay staff, gas, excursions, food etc? Should we bring cash or travelers checks to exchange? Do many places take credit cards? Any other money suggestions?

Cash is still king in the Philippines. I would bring cash and ATM cards. Notify your bank of your travel plans. 

Using foreign issued credit cards can be a pain at many retail outlets. 

How could anyone possibly tell you how much to bring not knowing anything about your intended plans and lifestyle? 

tomaw

there you go problem solved ... and using a CC from a US bank in the province that's easy?

The province of Boracay, No problem! :-)

smokey

The province of Boracay, No problem! :-)

oh I did not know they were going to be staying in Boracay  sorry I though they were going to some tiny place close to Bogo   

newbster

Personally I would not bring a ton of cash. To me that is dangerous. I don't like to carry more than $1000. Money changers like Crisp new-ish $100 bills so try to bring those. Also you will get a terrible rate changing dollar to pesos before you reach RP. So I would not bring more than 500 pesos with me. Your rate at the airport in RP will be better but still not as good as you can get it at a mall and that isn't probably not as good as you can get it at a money changer elsewhere. The Visa debit card idea is a great one. If you do use ATM's then try to do it from a taxi so that you can immediately leave the ATM and not be a target walking away with lots of cash. Normally only hotels and not even all of those, and a small percentage of businesses will take credit cards.