Sign in to follow this  
CMoli

How much $ do we bring? Cash, card or travelers checks?

Woolf

I was at Mactan airport last night to pick up someone

I noticed there is a BPI atm  there and also a place that sells sim packs and load

Just as you come out the building turn right there is a small café there, you can get the sim & load,

to the left of the café there is the BPI ATM

Edited by Woolf
  • Like 2

smokey

Yes it is.Some of us have more limited budgets. I can't go total backpacker but have in Thailand at Koh Chang once I was wondering if you would make this comment and you did not disappoint! Cheers!

Dave Dude

not my problem

Edited by smokey

Daddy

Forget the travelers checks, next to worthless. IF you can find someone to cash them, you will get a VERY low exchange rate. Nice, new, crisp USD $100 bills are a good bet, as well ATMs are usually pretty reliable. Make sure your CC company knows you are in the Philippines, as they are known to shut people off when charges from the Philippines start appearing. 

Nobody can answer the "how much" question for you, everyone has differing spending habits and habits.

As Larry said, "Nice, new, crisp USD $100 BILLS." Some money changers will ot accept the older 100 dollar bills, some do.

shadow

14 days  better to bring to much then not enough on vacations I can spend 2,000 us a week with taxi ,, dinners ,, drivers etc  14 days 1,000 sounds more like a backpacker vacation

LOL, I used to do three weeks trips on less than $2000, including airfare, food, lodging, and partying! That's been a while though.

• Like 1

smokey

LOL, I used to do three weeks trips on less than $2000, including airfare, food, lodging, and partying! That's been a while though.

Well maybe that is the exact thing these guys will do and have a great time .... or they could get there and realize they don't have enough money to do what they want and then the vacation becomes a NEXT time we come we will do this and that ,,  If that is their budget then so be it ... 

• Like 2

Enuff

Last year we went to bohol for Christmas and a family of 5 took 6 tours/adentures in 8 days and didn't spend $1000 usd. We ate very well and had tons of fun. Although they are 6 adults I can't see them blowing through more than $12,000 not unless they hang with smokey for the entire 2 weeks.

• Like 1

towboat72

Guy is asking for advise spending thousands and thousands just to get here ...countless hours in the airport , countless hours sitting on a plane why not give him lots of information not just what YOU would want to spend ... the getting here and back will cost much more money then the amount he spends here ... how do I know ???  27 round trips so far

read all the posts ---guy said he won the trip in a raffle he is not spending big bucks to get here

• Like 2

smokey

Last year we went to bohol for Christmas and a family of 5 took 6 tours/adentures in 8 days and didn't spend $1000 usd. We ate very well and had tons of fun. Although they are 6 adults I can't see them blowing through more than $12,000 not unless they hang with smokey for the entire 2 weeks.

lets not turn this into a anti smokey bullshit thread .. I really don't care what they spend but who the heck wants to travel 7,000 miles to a country and NOT have the money they want to do what they want if they don't spend it they can take it home with them money is light to carry ... but not having any is a major hassle

• Like 1

Enuff

Advising 6 newbies who have never visited to bring $24,000

That's great advice.

Edited by bigmook
  • Like 2

smokey

read all the posts ---guy said he won the trip in a raffle he is not spending big bucks to get here

And just what does that have to do with the time he spends there , you guys should really try to help the guy and not spend so much time trying to teach me a lesson I really don't care what they do on their vacation , and the fact they you can have a great time for little money has no affect on what I do ...

easy44

Without going back to look, I think he said the house was free not the airfare?

smokey

That's great advice.

and your advise to bring 6 newbies and carry $12,000 us that will make then snug as a bug in a rug...   hey here is a bit of advise why don't you offer to loan them money if they are short

That's great advice.

yes indeed if they are carrying 1 million peso they will get robbed so better then take one half a million peso so no one will bother then  great advise

NHANORAK

We do plan on staying at a hotel near the airport and have already arranged transportation to get there. We have a local Sogod driver who is picking us up, taking us to exchange money, and taking us to stock up at the "Costco". Thank you!!

We won the 14 days in a charity auction. The owner of the home donates it every year to a local non-profit...that was the reason for choosing Sogod.

Not just the Philippines, but in a lot of countries you need to be a little careful the local driver doesn't take you to a money changer who who will give him a kick back. Obviously this kick back will come from the poor exchange rate you receive. Get an idea of a good exchange rate on the day you travel. If the money changer you're taken to is trying to skim you, I would change a small amount to tide you over (if the skim is not too bad) and then change more at a later date on your travels. If its really a big skim, I would just ask your driver to take you to Rustans and use that money changer.

• Like 2

Enuff

Apparently you don't understand what a CC backup is.

CC backup is a credit card they can use should they fall short of funds.

Bringing a CC verses carrying and extra $12,000 that will be almost impossible to spend is very smart.

Not everyone can waste $2,000 a week. Heck I could eat out 8 meals a day and have a 24hr red horse IV and still not spend p90k a week.

But I will take your advice and pm them my info should they fall short of funds.

Edited by bigmook

smokey

Apparently you don't understand what a CC backup is.

CC backup is a credit card they can use should they fall short of funds.

Bringing a CC verses carrying and extra $12,000 that will be almost impossible to spend is very smart.

Not everyone can waste $2,000 a week. Heck I could eat out 8 meals a day and have a 24hr red horse IV and still not spend p90k a week.

But I will take your advice and pm them my info should they fall short of funds.

there you go problem solved ...  and using a CC from a US bank in the province  that's easy?