Sign in to follow this  
CMoli

How much $ do we bring? Cash, card or travelers checks?

lucky138

I agree about travelers checks being useless (almost) in the Philippines.  I start with some smaller bills just to get by and a whole bunch of NEW hundred dollar bills and I have never had a problem changing the hundreds into Philippine pesos.  My biggest problem is getting anything but 1000p and 500P notes.  I have been to many stores and if I try to use a 1000P or even a 500P note they would constantly ask for smaller please.  So in the morning I would go to a grocery store in the mall and buy a few small items and use a 1000P note and get change of normally about 900p in all 100p or 50p notes.  During the day I would attempt to break another big note if possible .  If not then at night I would go to a club with a 1000P note and get one drink and use that change.  Between those 2 ways I could get enough smaller bills to last a day or 2.  

Scottiev

I agree about travelers checks being useless (almost) in the Philippines.  I start with some smaller bills just to get by and a whole bunch of NEW hundred dollar bills and I have never had a problem changing the hundreds into Philippine pesos.  My biggest problem is getting anything but 1000p and 500P notes.  I have been to many stores and if I try to use a 1000P or even a 500P note they would constantly ask for smaller please.  So in the morning I would go to a grocery store in the mall and buy a few small items and use a 1000P note and get change of normally about 900p in all 100p or 50p notes.  During the day I would attempt to break another big note if possible .  If not then at night I would go to a club with a 1000P note and get one drink and use that change.  Between those 2 ways I could get enough smaller bills to last a day or 2.  

Keeping enough small bills (100p , 50p, 20p) here is always a challenge . In a bigger store I always give them the largest bill I have and claim I have nothing smaller when they ask. The other place that is good for exchanging a 1000p or 500p bill is a gas station , they usually have no problem with it. Most smaller stores just don't have the change to let you buy a soda or water with a 500p or 1000p bill.

• Like 1

cvgtpc1

When I exchange cash upon arrival at the bank window at the airport I generally get $100 in 100 and 50 notes but they disappear pretty quick.

• Like 1

Woolf

When I exchange cash upon arrival at the bank window at the airport I generally get $100 in 100 and 50 notes but they disappear pretty quick.

as far as I know there is no banks at the airport, money changers yes

• Like 1

USMC-Retired

Bring a few crisp new 100s. Bring a credit/debit card with Master Card or Visa Logo. Then bring just 3,000 pesos from your local bank if you can. You will be fine. Also have a backup plan if you lose your debt card.

mpt1947

6 of us will be staying in Sogod Cebu in a house for 14 days. Home has a staff and driver that we'll be paying. They'll be shopping and cooking for us as well. My question is how much should each couple bring for a 14 day stay to pay staff, gas, excursions, food etc? Should we bring cash or travelers checks to exchange? Do many places take credit cards? Any other money suggestions?

Are you coming in March by any chance?  Are you members of the Americal Division's Veteran's Association?  If yes, let me know I may have some information for you.

cvgtpc1

as far as I know there is no banks at the airport, money changers yes

I'm talking NAIA, never been to Cebu but know changing money isn't an option at Tacloban airport....

CMoli

Are you coming in March by any chance?  Are you members of the Americal Division's Veteran's Association?  If yes, let me know I may have some information for you.

Nope we are coming in Feb and not a part of AVDA

easy44

$500 in cash and a debit card is all I ever needed when I was traveling here, plus a credit card for large purchases if needed.  ATM's are everywhere except smaller towns and easy to access cash there.

A good place to change larger peso bills is a gas station.  This is particularly useful if a taxi driver says he has no change.  I just tell them to go to the nearest gas station.  The local gas stations take smaller bills all day from motorcycle riders and jeepneys and always have plenty of change.

• Like 1

SkyMan

In Sogod you will not likely find an ATM or anyone that will accept a CC.  And nowhere will you find anyone who will take a traveler's check.

I suggest on arrival you stay one night in Cebu to exchange some $100 bills into pesos but not at the airport.  Ayala Mall near the Rustan's is about the best exchange rate.  If one person goes with all the money for all of you they can probably get a bit better rate than individually.

• Like 1

Kabisay-an gid

Community Rural Bank of Catmon has a branch in Sogod. Anybody know if they have an ATM?

easy44

Community Rural Bank of Catmon has a branch in Sogod. Anybody know if they have an ATM?

I don't remember ever seeing any rural bank with an ATM.

smokey

$1000 to $2000 each.

Make sure you all have CC backups.

ok do what ever you want

Edited by smokey

davedude

14 days  better to bring to much then not enough on vacations I can spend 2,000 us a week with taxi ,, dinners ,, drivers etc  14 days 1,000 sounds more like a backpacker vacation

Yes it is.Some of us have more limited budgets. I can't go total backpacker but have in Thailand at Koh Chang once I was wondering if you would make this comment and you did not disappoint! Cheers!

Dave Dude

• Like 1

to_dave007

I passed there yesterday and I didn't notice one but confess I didn't look closely.  I'll be back past there on Saturday and I'll check more closely.  That's a pretty small bank, so I doubt it.  But I'll check