Sign in to follow this  
CMoli

How much $ do we bring? Cash, card or travelers checks?

Paul

Your site and that one are not in competition because they're not the same thing. One is on Living in Cebu with a lot of opinions that are highly subjective due to a lot of differences in values, interests and experiences. The other just compares the cost of things with one place to another place. For example: I'll put in Huntington Beach and Cebu. It will then give the average cost of products and services in both places. Such as the price of milk in each place. No emotion, no downer experiences, no rose colored glasses. Just dollars and cents data on just about anywhere.

I never said anything about competition. I was letting you know why there are so many differing views on costs of living in the Philippines - not that it is really the topic here. 

Woolf

One can bring as many us$ as you want to philippines

if you bring more than 10,000 it must be declared at customs

or you risk confiscation

one can bring no more than 10,000 php in or out

http://www.airsafe.com/issues/baggage/cash.htm

Travel to or from the United States
If you are on an international flight that is departing or arriving the US, there are no limits as to the amount of money a passenger can carry. However, passengers who are carrying currency, endorsed personal checks, travelers checks, gold coins, securities or stocks in bearer form that are valued at $10,000 or more must report the amount that they are carrying to US customs officials. Failure to do so can result in fines or confiscation of the money. This reporting requirement applies to individual travelers, or travelers who are in a family or other group. For example, if a family of five is flying together, and they have $11,000 between them, they are obligated to report these amounts. A passenger is also required to report their non-US cash or currency if the equivalent value in US dollars is over $10,000.

• Like 3

ex231

Your site and that one are not in competition because they're not the same thing. One is on Living in Cebu with a lot of opinions that are highly subjective due to a lot of differences in values, interests and experiences. The other just compares the cost of things with one place to another place. For example: I'll put in Huntington Beach and Cebu. It will then give the average cost of products and services in both places. Such as the price of milk in each place. No emotion, no downer experiences, no rose colored glasses. Just dollars and cents data on just about anywhere.

I went to that site and I wouldn't use it as anything other than a guide because it's certainly not accurate. At least not for my hometown in the US and Dumaguete.

tomaw

I never said anything about competition. I was letting you know why there are so many differing views on costs of living in the Philippines - not that it is really the topic here.

You're right, and I think we're saying the same thing. The topic is how much money to bring and in what form. I think almost everybody has said don't bring travelers checks and how much to bring has too many variables to answer. That's about all I was saying. Edited by tomaw

Davaoeno

6 of us will be staying in Sogod Cebu in a house for 14 days. Home has a staff and driver that we'll be paying. They'll be shopping and cooking for us as well. My question is how much should each couple bring for a 14 day stay to pay staff, gas, excursions, food etc? Should we bring cash or travelers checks to exchange? Do many places take credit cards? Any other money suggestions?

Being the suspicious type that I am my first thought was to try - if possible- to make sure that you dont get overcharged for the home.  Things , such as food, cook, driver etc are much much cheaper here.   You probably have no say in the matter but do try not to get taken advantage of too much .  $1000 per couple goes a long long way here . That is a total of 130,000 pesos between 3 couples .  

• Like 1

tomaw

I went to that site and I wouldn't use it as anything other than a guide because it's certainly not accurate. At least not for my hometown in the US and Dumaguete.

Well, I can't speak for its information anywhere in The Philippines but for my home town in Huntington Beach California it was right on. Also if you disagree with some prices it shows you can edit it and put in your information that will be more current and accurate for the next person viewing it.

Enuff

have you set up transport yet?

at the moment the MOST important thing to do is set up a van to take you from Cebu to sogod and hopefully its a local sogod van that will be available for 2 weeks.

hopefully once you land at midnight you will get a local hotel room. before you get to Cebu (at layover airport) exchange $100 for pesos. this will give you enough to get you to hotel and any little things that pop up. exchange rate will be horrible and make sure you get p20 p50 p100 p200 p500 notes.the next morning when your transport arrives for sogod go directly to Rustans at ayala mall. they have a very good, safe, reputable money changer that gives excellent rate in a very safe atmosphere. while there I suggest you do some shopping as this will be your only opportunity to get some items. 

if you were able to secure transport through the resort next door maybe also you can ask to utilize their hotel safe to keep some of the extra cash, expect to pay for this service. when out and about make sure you have extra funds available, as atms are spotty in that area and often non operational. if you do run low you can also head back to Cebu for atms, shopping & nightlife.

also be prepared for some spotty pricing. since no Filipinos in your group many will try to take advantage and charge a few pesos extra. if you think its outrageous than by all means say something and be prepared to walk away without the goods or service.

have fun

• Like 1

Skywalker

Cash is King in the Philippines.

Sogod is a strange destination for first timers to the Philippines.

It would have been more useful to have visited this site, for better advice on locations and possible costs.

There is a chap from Europe staying in my village here.  He is in a pretty run down house and he's paying 50,000 pesos for a month.  I was astonished when he told me.  He said he found it on the internet. 

Edit:  Just spotted the other thread.

Edited by Skywalker
  • Like 1

broden

no travelers checks

bring as much money as you can afford to lose

• Like 1

Humboldt

As advised here already let your bank know that you will be using the credit card in the

Philippines , it's not a good feeling to see your card eaten by an ATM machine ..

Then have to try and track it down , which requires going to the main branch of the bank

and have to explain what happened to some policy enforcer, telling you by law I'm not required

to give this back to you , translated means I'm looking for a bribe ..

• Like 1

CMoli

Not sure what "places" you will be going to in Sogod - or why, really. It isn't as though it is a thriving metropolis or anything. What do you plan to do there, if you do not mind me asking?

We are staying in Sogod because that's where the house we are renting is. We planned on taking multiple trips throughout the island, as we understand that it's a rural area. I was concerned about lack of bank atm's in that area.

I do like the suggestion to take a prepaid debit card so there is no direct access to my bank account. Thanks everyone for the helpful input! I love this forum...so helpful!

• Like 1

CMoli

have you set up transport yet?

at the moment the MOST important thing to do is set up a van to take you from Cebu to sogod and hopefully its a local sogod van that will be available for 2 weeks.

hopefully once you land at midnight you will get a local hotel room. before you get to Cebu (at layover airport) exchange $100 for pesos. this will give you enough to get you to hotel and any little things that pop up. exchange rate will be horrible and make sure you get p20 p50 p100 p200 p500 notes.the next morning when your transport arrives for sogod go directly to Rustans at ayala mall. they have a very good, safe, reputable money changer that gives excellent rate in a very safe atmosphere. while there I suggest you do some shopping as this will be your only opportunity to get some items. 

if you were able to secure transport through the resort next door maybe also you can ask to utilize their hotel safe to keep some of the extra cash, expect to pay for this service. when out and about make sure you have extra funds available, as atms are spotty in that area and often non operational. if you do run low you can also head back to Cebu for atms, shopping & nightlife.

also be prepared for some spotty pricing. since no Filipinos in your group many will try to take advantage and charge a few pesos extra. if you think its outrageous than by all means say something and be prepared to walk away without the goods or service.

have fun

We do plan on staying at a hotel near the airport and have already arranged transportation to get there. We have a local Sogod driver who is picking us up, taking us to exchange money, and taking us to stock up at the "Costco". Thank you!!

We won the 14 days in a charity auction. The owner of the home donates it every year to a local non-profit...that was the reason for choosing Sogod.

• Like 1

davedude

On all my two week Asian trips, be they Thailand, HK, Tokyo or the Philippines, I take a minimum of $1500 USD cash. Change just a little bit at the airport for pocket change to start with and then hunt for the best exchange rate to convert the rest of it as needed. Carry enuf for daily expense in my pockets and the balance in a security wallet around my waist inside my underwear. Has worked well since I started traveling to asia in 2003. I seldom bring back any money. On this last trip to Cebu in November 2014 I went thru $3kUSD but only $2k of it was cash the rest was credit card.

Dave Dude

cvgtpc1

I think $100 a day plus $500 in cash will be plenty.

A lot of us have a family entourage to support while visiting which can increase costs considerably but you don't have that issue.

• Like 2

CMoli

we are stopping at the German restaurant on our way to the house.Our driver is the German owners delivery man. I've hear the food there is really good

Edited by CMoli
  • Like 2