Sign in to follow this  
CMoli

How much $ do we bring? Cash, card or travelers checks?

CMoli

6 of us will be staying in Sogod Cebu in a house for 14 days. Home has a staff and driver that we'll be paying. They'll be shopping and cooking for us as well. My question is how much should each couple bring for a 14 day stay to pay staff, gas, excursions, food etc? Should we bring cash or travelers checks to exchange? Do many places take credit cards? Any other money suggestions?

Mikala

I'd suggest minimizing the cash and utilize ATMs. Traveling with large quantities of cash isn't safe. That being said, I usually travel with a few thousand dollars, if going to the Philippines.

Chance555

Your allowed to bring 10000p into the philippines the rest I would suggest you use your plastic in the ATM s in the malls.

You can also bring up to 10000$ In you currency. Hope that helps some

• Like 2

Paul

They will be on Sogod, Michael. Probably better to take Cash. 

CMoli, do NOT Take Traveler's checks to the Philippines - EVER. They are a pain in the ass to cash, IF you can cash them. 

Not sure what "places" you will be going to in Sogod - or why, really. It isn't as though it is a thriving metropolis or anything. What do you plan to do there, if you do not mind me asking? 

• Like 4

ex231

Too many unknowns in your question. To make it simple, how many staff members and what is their salary per day? What kind of foods will you want? How many excursions and how much will each cost?

I wouldn't waste my time with travelers checks. A lot, but not all mall stores will take credit cards. Which btw, make sure to let your card companies including your ATM card know you'll be traveling. Check the terms of your cards. I think there are only a few that don't charge "foreign transaction fees" that can add up.

I don't like to travel with a wad of cash. But that's just me.

• Like 2

shadow

6 of us will be staying in Sogod Cebu in a house for 14 days. Home has a staff and driver that we'll be paying. They'll be shopping and cooking for us as well. My question is how much should each couple bring for a 14 day stay to pay staff, gas, excursions, food etc? Should we bring cash or travelers checks to exchange? Do many places take credit cards? Any other money suggestions?

Forget the travelers checks, next to worthless. IF you can find someone to cash them, you will get a VERY low exchange rate. Nice, new, crisp USD $100 bills are a good bet, as well ATMs are usually pretty reliable. Make sure your CC company knows you are in the Philippines, as they are known to shut people off when charges from the Philippines start appearing. 

Nobody can answer the "how much" question for you, everyone has differing spending habits and habits.

• Like 9

Enuff

$1000 to $2000 each.

Make sure you all have CC backups.

• Like 2

tomaw

Definitely DON'T bring travelers checks! Very few places take them. We found only major hotels cashed them if we were staying there and major banks. Everywhere though took credit cards. Check with other members about the best places to exchange dollars to pesos. As far as how much to bring you'll go crazy trying to get a consistent answer on this forum. Look instead at this web site: www.numbeo.com. It's the best site I've seen for comparing cost of living with almost any place with almost anywhere.

Cipro

Bring 3 debit cards, at least one on a real bank and at least one prepaid. Prefer to use the prepaid when you can. Only use the cards in bank ATMs, never give them to a business. Bring a couple hundred bucks and have the taxi stop at a bank ATM on the way through town. 

Bring at least one unlocked GSM phone, buy at least one local SIM as soon as you can. 

• Like 5

to_dave007

My first guess is that the total number of places in Sogod that take Credit Cards is ZERO.. Possibly the resort, but definitely nowhere else.  I don't even think there's an ATM in all of Sogod.

Have a meal at Borussia while you are there (if that's not where you are staying).   They don't serve alcohol though (Filipina wife of the German owner is born again Christian).  But the food's not bad. Located right off the main highway right at the south end of Sogod just north of municipal boundary with Catmon.

Several ATM you can use in Bogo..  about 45 minutes north of you.

If you are expecting a night life in Sogod.  well.. don't.

Edited by to_dave007
  • Like 5

sugbu777

do NOT Take Traveler's checks to the Philippines - EVER. They are a pain in the ass to cash, IF you can cash them

Paul is right. Do NOT take travellers checks to the Philippines.

Paul

Have a meal at Borussia while you are there (if that's not where you are staying). 

Excellent advice! 

• Like 2

tomaw

Then, why are you here if that is the site to be on. You get different answers, because, as has been previously stated in this thread - as well as in 1000 others, different people have different spending habits.

By the way, didn't you say it has been over 10 years since you were in the Philippines? Why are you even giving such advice? It has changed a ton since I was last home. That was 3 years ago. See my point, here?

Your site and that one are not in competition because they're not the same thing. One is on Living in Cebu with a lot of opinions that are highly subjective due to a lot of differences in values, interests and experiences. The other just compares the cost of things with one place to another place. For example: I'll put in Huntington Beach and Cebu. It will then give the average cost of products and services in both places. Such as the price of milk in each place. No emotion, no downer experiences, no rose colored glasses. Just dollars and cents data on comparing just about anyplace with just about anywhere. Now what Cebu is like now as to the attitudes of the people, the air quality, best places to eat, entertainment etc. is certainly better answered by people that are currently living there. That is where your forum is most useful. Edited by tomaw

Cipro

Places I've been that didn't have an ATM (like Sabang Beach, Puerto Galera) always had a business that would charge a VISA for cash. This violates the VISA rules but it's more fun in PH. 

I think Sabang has a couple ATMs now though. 

• Like 1