Another example of boundless human stupidity

I hear you. I said small change (bills) and coins. I hate the .25 coins cause they just take up space and the cashiers always ask for them.

Jenny and I throw all our coins into a bowl, when needed we fish out some of the one's ,fives and ten pesos, whats left we put in to small piggy banks and give them to our nieces and nephews at Christmas, stops there noise for a while as they count there money and acts as an educational tool as they count and stack the differing coins.

John

Edited by Bukwali
  • Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• A_Simple_Man

• Penguin

• Bob Ward

• twostrokes

twostrokes

and!!!!! once again.....I remember when there were paper coin amounts....they were little bills, a little smaller than monopoly money. That was back when a jeepney rides were 10 centovos, or you could hire a "special" where you got the jeep to yourself for 1 peso...ahh!! the good old days...

do they still have the 1 centovo coins???

Jim

:) I remember the time when one peso was large coin (it's now a collectors item because it has a high silver content). I even bought some for my wedding... :)
Many poorly paid Filipinos work very hard (some maybe harder than you & I ever worked) and have very good hearts and very good work ethics but dont go generalising the rest of the Philippines because of one bad experience posted on this forum

I live in the Philippines, Kristine. I see the problems and the opportunities each and every day. I'd love to share some of the stories, but I won't on a public forum. I know it's unpopular and it's bad for me to say it, but Filipinos are poor for two reasons, a) bad choices and/or :) laziness. But guess what? That doesn't just apply to Filipinos, it applies to many other nationalities as well, including Aussies, Kiwis, Brits, and Americans.

Unfortunately, you can't fix some of the problems caused by bad choices, but you can fix the problem of laziness and you can educate the people to avoid the bad choices in the future. There are so many opportunities for young Filipinos now that there is no reason why any of them can't be in the middle class, save they are lazy or have made bad choices. Kristine, do you want them to have those opportunities or would you rather them not to have them?

And as for the shop assistant asking for the 75 centavos, did you ever stop to think that she may have just wanted to give you an even amount so you dont have to carry around coins.

:) Obviously you haven't been to Cebu. When non-Cebuanos get together they do talk about this trait in Cebu. You don't find it in other parts of the Philippines like you do in Cebu. When I talked about the change incident, it isn't a one time thing. It is an every time I shop kind of thing. The total is 118.75. Sir, do you have 18 pesos and 75 centavos? and it's just not me, a friend who is a businessman complains about it and has had to spend extra time training his employees that it's lazy and they shouldn't do it.

Mate this is common practise in Australia. Like Kristine said its better than bein handed a mountain of coins. Im so used to it i even offer the extra if they dont ask me. I'd rather have a flat wallet with notes than one bulging with coins.....Out of sight out of mind....

In the Phils small change and coins are very useful. In other more developed countries, I could care less!

I know, I live here. Small change and coins are useful in any country but too much of it is just a pain

But what can you buy with 25 cents nowadays....

Way back I can get 5 fishballs for that amount... now it cannot buy one since its 50 cents per piece

I buy one "ice water" ....now bottled water is 10 pesos

Pan de sal was 25 cents...now its 2 pesos at least

I do not know why the government keep on minting 25 cents...maybe they should shift to .50 :)

As a sari store co owner we really do need the 25 centavos. There are so many items to sell where 1 peso is just not enough but P1.50 is too much. But i agree they are a pain. We handle a lot of them everyday

twostrokes
:) I remember the time when one peso was large coin (it's now a collectors item because it has a high silver content). I even bought some for my wedding... :)

I remember those.....also the us/pi coins were still in circulation in the 60's the 5 & 10 Centovos anyway..They had United States on one side and Philippines on the other...They all disappeared by the mid 70's, collectors probably got them all.

Jim