Another example of boundless human stupidity

but my parents taught me to do every job 110%, no matter how little or how much you are being paid to do a job.

Same here Penguin. 110% regardless of the circumstances.

Now I would like to bring up a point on the change issue... or for that matter, the math issue. As many of you know, I am sending one of my helpers back to school to finish her high school. She comes home the other day laughing because everyone in her math class (102+/- students) were fighting because they all wanted to be in her group. The reason for this is that you have to know and understand English very well to pass Mathematics here. 90% of her classmates have retaken the same math class 3 times. Yet it still makes me chuckle every time the sales clerk has to pull out a calculator to add up the total for a couple items and then use the calculator again to figure out the change. 9 times out of 10, if the total comes to something like P37, and I give them P87, they will get confused, return 2 of the P20 bills along with the P7coins, then give me change as if I gave them only P40. Instead of returning to me P50, they try to give me P3, I always end up with more coins then I want for reasons like this.

-Nick

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• A_Simple_Man

• Penguin

• Bob Ward

• twostrokes

Yet it still makes me chuckle every time the sales clerk has to pull out a calculator to add up the total for a couple items and then use the calculator again to figure out the change.

Well I bought a DVD player today in SM that cost 1499. I handed the cashier one 1000 bill and one 500 bill. She needed to use a calculator to work-out the change :any-help:

Mark

KeithAngel
Well I bought a DVD player today in SM that cost 1499. I handed the cashier one 1000 bill and one 500 bill. She needed to use a calculator to work-out the change :wink:

Mark

Pity you had no change :any-help:

Yeah, why didn't you have exact change? Talk about lazy! <evil grin>

Hahaha, I did that once. The total was 178.75, the girl asked for 8.75 and I said, "hey wait a second, I have 78.75" and proceeded to pay it all in 5's, 1's and several pesos in the 25 centavo coins. :any-help:

A_Simple_Man

Hahaha, I did that once. The total was 178.75, the girl asked for 8.75 and I said, "hey wait a second, I have 78.75" and proceeded to pay it all in 5's, 1's and several pesos in the 25 centavo coins. :D

I did about the same thing last month and the three filipino guys in line behind me were just about rolling on the floor laughing. .. I laughed with them but really do not understand what they saw SO humorous about it. . . was the sales girl hinting that she wanted me to give her a 100 P bill and say 'keep the change'?

twostrokes

Maybe one day it will go the direction as here in the States....I have run across a few places now that refuse cash, all they take is plastic...credit/debit cards....They don't want cash in the register, as that reduces their chance of being a target of robbery...and you don't have to worry about giving the wrong change.lol.

jim

Edited by twostrokes
Many poorly paid Filipinos work very hard (some maybe harder than you & I ever worked) and have very good hearts and very good work ethics but dont go generalising the rest of the Philippines because of one bad experience posted on this forum

I live in the Philippines, Kristine. I see the problems and the opportunities each and every day. I'd love to share some of the stories, but I won't on a public forum. I know it's unpopular and it's bad for me to say it, but Filipinos are poor for two reasons, a) bad choices and/or :) laziness. But guess what? That doesn't just apply to Filipinos, it applies to many other nationalities as well, including Aussies, Kiwis, Brits, and Americans.

Unfortunately, you can't fix some of the problems caused by bad choices, but you can fix the problem of laziness and you can educate the people to avoid the bad choices in the future. There are so many opportunities for young Filipinos now that there is no reason why any of them can't be in the middle class, save they are lazy or have made bad choices. Kristine, do you want them to have those opportunities or would you rather them not to have them?

And as for the shop assistant asking for the 75 centavos, did you ever stop to think that she may have just wanted to give you an even amount so you dont have to carry around coins.

:P Obviously you haven't been to Cebu. When non-Cebuanos get together they do talk about this trait in Cebu. You don't find it in other parts of the Philippines like you do in Cebu. When I talked about the change incident, it isn't a one time thing. It is an every time I shop kind of thing. The total is 118.75. Sir, do you have 18 pesos and 75 centavos? and it's just not me, a friend who is a businessman complains about it and has had to spend extra time training his employees that it's lazy and they shouldn't do it.

Mate this is common practise in Australia. Like Kristine said its better than bein handed a mountain of coins. Im so used to it i even offer the extra if they dont ask me. I'd rather have a flat wallet with notes than one bulging with coins.....Out of sight out of mind....

Sometimes it's not laziness. Some stores do not have much 25 cents or even coins.

Bob Ward
Many poorly paid Filipinos work very hard (some maybe harder than you & I ever worked) and have very good hearts and very good work ethics but dont go generalising the rest of the Philippines because of one bad experience posted on this forum

I live in the Philippines, Kristine. I see the problems and the opportunities each and every day. I'd love to share some of the stories, but I won't on a public forum. I know it's unpopular and it's bad for me to say it, but Filipinos are poor for two reasons, a) bad choices and/or :lol: laziness. But guess what? That doesn't just apply to Filipinos, it applies to many other nationalities as well, including Aussies, Kiwis, Brits, and Americans.

Unfortunately, you can't fix some of the problems caused by bad choices, but you can fix the problem of laziness and you can educate the people to avoid the bad choices in the future. There are so many opportunities for young Filipinos now that there is no reason why any of them can't be in the middle class, save they are lazy or have made bad choices. Kristine, do you want them to have those opportunities or would you rather them not to have them?

And as for the shop assistant asking for the 75 centavos, did you ever stop to think that she may have just wanted to give you an even amount so you dont have to carry around coins.

:huh: Obviously you haven't been to Cebu. When non-Cebuanos get together they do talk about this trait in Cebu. You don't find it in other parts of the Philippines like you do in Cebu. When I talked about the change incident, it isn't a one time thing. It is an every time I shop kind of thing. The total is 118.75. Sir, do you have 18 pesos and 75 centavos? and it's just not me, a friend who is a businessman complains about it and has had to spend extra time training his employees that it's lazy and they shouldn't do it.

Mate this is common practise in Australia. Like Kristine said its better than bein handed a mountain of coins. Im so used to it i even offer the extra if they dont ask me. I'd rather have a flat wallet with notes than one bulging with coins.....Out of sight out of mind....

In the Phils small change and coins are very useful. In other more developed countries, I could care less!

But what can you buy with 25 cents nowadays....

Way back I can get 5 fishballs for that amount... now it cannot buy one since its 50 cents per piece

I buy one "ice water" ....now bottled water is 10 pesos

Pan de sal was 25 cents...now its 2 pesos at least

I do not know why the government keep on minting 25 cents...maybe they should shift to .50 :huh:

Bob Ward

I hear you. I said small change (bills) and coins. I hate the .25 coins cause they just take up space and the cashiers always ask for them.

A_Simple_Man

Way back I can get 5 fishballs for that amount... now it cannot buy one since its 50 cents per piece

I buy one "ice water" ....now bottled water is 10 pesos

Pan de sal was 25 cents...now its 2 pesos at least

I do not know why the government keep on minting 25 cents...maybe they should shift to .50 :huh:

I keep getting the 10 cent coins with the hole in the middle. Are they still being minted or is it just people trying to get rid of them by giving them to me?

A_Simple_Man

This reminds me of my first week in Phils. . . I did not know there was a coin smaller than a Peso and so . .

I rode on a trike and gave the man 30 Pesos (or so I thought) . . a 5 Peso coin and a 25 Peso coin . . . He got mad and gave the money back to me so I gave him more . . . another 25 Peso coin .. . He threw the coins in the dirt and then he and I proceeded to get into a heated argument . . it wasn't until the next day that I realized there ARE NO 25 Peso coins . . I was trying to pay him 5 and a half Pesos . . Um m m ... my bad :huh:

• Admin (Retired)
broden

This reminds me of my first week in Phils. . . I did not know there was a coin smaller than a Peso and so . .

I rode on a trike and gave the man 30 Pesos (or so I thought) . . a 5 Peso coin and a 25 Peso coin . . . He got mad and gave the money back to me so I gave him more . . . another 25 Peso coin .. . He threw the coins in the dirt and then he and I proceeded to get into a heated argument . . it wasn't until the next day that I realized there ARE NO 25 Peso coins . . I was trying to pay him 5 and a half Pesos . . Um m m ... my bad :huh:

i think i saw this episode of mr bean :lol: