Another example of boundless human stupidity

A_Simple_Man
hope I havent offended you. ;)

:wacko: The only time people say that is when they know darn well they have but it is easier to add a disclaimer than to change what they wrote

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• A_Simple_Man

• Penguin

• Bob Ward

• twostrokes

Bob Ward

As the change thing is a pet peave of mine, I will take it upon myself to do some research on the issue and report back.

My first inclinations are:

They are taught to do it so they won't make mistakes counting change.

Laziness LOLOL But it must run through the entire city!!

Conserving the change for the establishment so they will not run out.

Just a silly thing that started and then caught on in a big way.

Corfitz, your point on the elderly taking their time is well noted and we've all seen it. But please try and think before you disrespect the elderly, you might be in their shoes one day. I find the elderly people in Cebu to be a delight. They are witty, wise and they speak better English than many of the young people.

mikejwoodnz
As the change thing is a pet pave of mine, I will take it upon myself to do some research on the issue and report back.

- this is correct - and it's not a "fault" of Cebu it is the standard practise in every Supermarket I have been to in Manila as well. There are many complex reasons - but simplicity is the answer. There has to be a common policy taught to all cashiers and this is it. Some of the reasons 1. If they were to give change this can be palmed and disputed and this pratise minimises this happening. 2. Prevents "Ringing the Changes" - if you need to ask what this is - refer to your local police. 3. Let's say the till is the type that calculates and gives 2 totals - 1 for the change and 1 for the sale - some staff will confuse this and give back to the customer the greater sale amount - usually only in bars - also the operator must view and input the total of the notes tendered - if you then change the notes (mind games) - they lose the plot. Here in New Zealand we have the opposite problem say the till is $18.70 and you give them $20 + 70c - they will not know what to do with the 70c and will insist on you keeping it and giving you $1.30c change instead of $2 ;)

I have watched these transactions with interest in the Philippines as there is little else to do whilst waiting on line at the Supermarket. My conclusions : the staff are rather terse about asking for this change as they expect anyone with half a brain to already have a handful of small coins ready for this.

As the change thing is a pet peave of mine, I will take it upon myself to do some research on the issue and report back.

Laziness LOLOL But it must run through the entire city!!

Conserving the change for the establishment so they will not run out.

Just a silly thing that started and then caught on in a big way.

Corfitz, your point on the elderly taking their time is well noted and we've all seen it. But please try and think before you disrespect the elderly, you might be in their shoes one day. I find the elderly people in Cebu to be a delight. They are witty, wise and they speak better English than many of the young people.

Bob brings up good points regarding the change thing and i do think it is a combination of factors but the primary one being that small establishments in particular just don't keep much change on hand to start with . As for the larger establishments i always will give them change if i have it ( and don't need it ) but fact is if you use public transport you probably need to keep it . ;)

As for the elderly thing i have no problem with the true elder being slower ; just with the young being slower because they have no consideration for others . Besides , i qualify as an elder . :wacko:

I meant no disrespect for the elderly, I aspire to be one some day myself. It was all meant in good fun. If it wasn't for the elderly, we wouldn't have what we have today, here in western europe.

Guess my nordic humor is just a tad too provoking so I'll remember to be more considerate in the future.

The change thing is fine in the smaller establishments where they have trouble keeping enough change on hand.

But it drives me crazy in the supermarket. I am looking at their till. I see a tray full of single pesos, 5 and 10 peso coins, and 20 peso notes and meanwhile the cashier asks me for the exact change.

I need that change for the dozens of other places where change isn't available.

;) Obviously you haven't been to Cebu. When non-Cebuanos get together they do talk about this trait in Cebu. You don't find it in other parts of the Philippines like you do in Cebu. When I talked about the change incident, it isn't a one time thing. It is an every time I shop kind of thing. The total is 118.75. Sir, do you have 18 pesos and 75 centavos? and it's just not me, a friend who is a businessman complains about it and has had to spend extra time training his employees that it's lazy and they shouldn't do it.

Oh so true. We do the bulk of our food shopping at either Metro Ayala or Rustans. At Metro the checkouts are slow, the checkout girls look bored and rarely smile and invariably they ask me for change - to which I invariably reply "no". By contrast, Rustan's checkouts are better designed and faster, the girls look happy and invariably make eye-contact and smile and they have never ever asked me for change - though, on occasion, I have offered it.

Possibly Rustan pays their staff more but they do seem better trained and more customer-centric. Example: yesterday I was in Rustans and joined a line at the checkout. The checkout girl stopped serving the customer ahead of me and rushed to find me a stool to sit on whilst I waited. Oh yes, Rustan's bag-packers do a much better job of separating food and non-food items whilst Metro's simply fill bags.

Now if only Rustan sold fresh milk....

Mark

Edited by Markham

Okay, so there's this young woman making, what ... maybe 200 pesos a day as a cashier? Let's give the big outfits benefit of the doubt and say they are paying the full rate of 250 pesos or so. So little miss clerk makes about six bucks forty Australian, a bit more than six Swiss Franks, or about five and half bucks US. There are maybe 20 girls in line that want her job. And the boss says, "You ask for exact change with every customer!" So she does. And I want to get in her face about it? I don't think so. If I got cranked up about them wanting me to count my pocket change, I'd at least find the store manager, who's probably working for peanuts too (and has maybe 40 people just dying to get her job) to rant on. But she is getting paid at least a few more peanuts to handle the problems.

What I have found works is when they ask me for exact change I say, "No." And the transaction progresses. I get the change back I want usually, though occasionally they won't have the smaller coins to make exact change. I don't get too flustered over a few centavos. I know that some do. And I don't want to criticize them for that. Everyone has their buttons. But unless that poor little cashier makes a real mistake in your transaction, do you really need to put her on the spot?

The change thing is fine in the smaller establishments where they have trouble keeping enough change on hand.

But it drives me crazy in the supermarket. I am looking at their till. I see a tray full of single pesos, 5 and 10 peso coins, and 20 peso notes and meanwhile the cashier asks me for the exact change.

I need that change for the dozens of other places where change isn't available.

Yeah and as anyone who has ever been to Thailand will attest, getting change for a 1000 note is as easy as going to any convenience store and buying a 2 baht candy. They'll dutifully count out the change for you. No problem and no questions asked.

Once we were at country mall. They've got that Barrato Corner(part of Gaisano Country Mall) down near Pizza Hut and my wife went in there with one of my sons while I went to the atm. When I came back, my son wanted a 19 peso toy for him and one for his brother so we went to the checkout with a 100 peso bill. Guess what? Sorry, sir, no change. It was about 7:30 so I asked what time they closed, 8:30, sir. Ok, great, we went to Country Mall, bought some groceries and came back. It was 8:15pm and the security guard had the door locked saying we are closed. I said, why? Never mind that the main part of CM Department Store was still open.

There is no doubt in my mind that the clerks were lazy. Instead of trying to get change when she knew she had none, she just sat there knowing she could tell every other customer who came that there was no change and get out of work. Then, the store was closed early. Again, laziness. Maybe Kristine can offer some other possibilities.

As I said, people are poor because they are either lazy or have made bad choices. Sorry if that offends you, Kristine, but it's the truth. You mentioned lack of choices, but experience has shown that lack of choices is a direct result of bad choices. The more bad choices you make, the fewer choices you have.

Since you are Cebuana and grew up in Cebu, you know about all of the immense opportunities that exist for free education and vocational training in Cebu. Why do you think people do not take the free opportunities for job training?

A_Simple_Man
There are maybe 20 girls in line that want her job. And the boss says, "You ask for exact change with every customer!" So she does.

Its the banks that get me. Whenever I go into the bank and make a sizable withdrawal they have to ask "What do you plan to do with the money?" I mean . . its my money and my business . . . but I'm am honest guy so I tell them . . just going drinking. ;)

Penguin, dont worry no offence taken. I was just voicing my opinions and like I said before you're fully entitled to yours, obviously we are of different opinions when it comes to some of the ways Filipinos do things. We could go on all day trying to argue the issue but anyone can bring up many examples of both good and bad service and at the end of the day I personally think it is more beneficial to focus on the positives and wake up each day appreciating the good things in life instead of whinging about petty and insignificant issues. If this is all you have to complain about you must have a very fortunate life. ;)

smokey
There are maybe 20 girls in line that want her job. And the boss says, "You ask for exact change with every customer!" So she does.

Its the banks that get me. Whenever I go into the bank and make a sizable withdrawal they have to ask "What do you plan to do with the money?" I mean . . its my money and my business . . . but I'm am honest guy so I tell them . . just going drinking. :thumbsup:

my thing with the bank is you have to wait for them to write the number of each bill down on a piece of paper you will throw away and there will be 10 employees in the bank but only ONE cashier is working and there are 20 people waiting... but what the heck look at the good part at least you have money to take out..

:thumbsup: Obviously you haven't been to Cebu. When non-Cebuanos get together they do talk about this trait in Cebu. You don't find it in other parts of the Philippines like you do in Cebu. When I talked about the change incident, it isn't a one time thing. It is an every time I shop kind of thing. The total is 118.75. Sir, do you have 18 pesos and 75 centavos? and it's just not me, a friend who is a businessman complains about it and has had to spend extra time training his employees that it's lazy and they shouldn't do it.

I don't think it's lazy at all. However, they will not ask for 18.75 if the total is 118.75.. they will ask for .75 if you hand them a 200 peso bill. It is just time-saving.. and it is a good way to spend all the centavos you get. If you don't give the .75, you might get a bunch of annoying 20 peso bills, coins, etc.

• Admin (Retired)
broden

problem or not it's not just in the RP .. i see cashiers in the states ask for exact change all the time

i don't think anyone likes to wait in line anywhere but it's just life

laziness

Filipnos are not indolent. During the Spainish era, it was common among the Spanish to believe Filipinos are lazy.... but Jose Rizal showed in an essay, how this is a myth.

Filipinos are hard workers, but not industrious (like Germans). Germany take it easy more, but get a lot done. For example, Filipinos dion't get much done because they think small--- go to the vitamin department. see if they want to sell you individual tablets. See if they sell eggs or ciggarets individually.