Another example of boundless human stupidity

And as for Penguin.... well, have you personally spoken to the girl and asked her whether she is trying to spite her employer and has she complained to you personally about how poorly she is being paid? Well my guess is... No! For all you know, her employer may insist on playing loud music to attract customers. Please stop assuming things as it is "another example of boundless human stupidity".

I don't know about you, Kristine, but my parents taught me to do every job 110%, no matter how little or how much you are being paid to do a job. From Poby described, there is no doubt at all that the girl wasn't doing her job of selling Mp3 players. How do I know? She sent a customer packing.

The Philippines is never going to get ahead until people get to working. Unfortunately, you have a rich class that wants the poor to stay poor and a poor class who is only too happy to oblige the rich class by disdaining the hard work.

I understand that not everyone works 110% the way that you and I have been bought up but some people may not be as fortunate as us but it still doesnt give you any right to criticise how other people work. Yes no doubt the girl wasnt doing her job of selling MP3's but to say that she's doing it to spite her employer or that she complains about her poor salary is wrong. All I was saying was "How do you know?" as you seem to think you know about her life. Many poorly paid Filipinos work very hard (some maybe harder than you & I ever worked) and have very good hearts and very good work ethics but dont go generalising the rest of the Philippines because of one bad experience posted on this forum. And as for the shop assistant asking for the 75 centavos, did you ever stop to think that she may have just wanted to give you an even amount so you dont have to carry around coins. I believe you need to stop seeing the worst in situations and maybe focus more on the positives. Especially if you plan to live in the Philippines for awhile cos if you dont like the way things run there then you and I both know what you need to do. :o

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• A_Simple_Man

• Penguin

• Bob Ward

• twostrokes

Maybe the sales girl was not at fault at all. Perhaps your voice wasn't clear enough. If I were in that situation, I would write my message to her on a piece of paper. Afterall, she could hear you fine, but can't quite make out the meaning of your English at that moment. but maybe she could understand, and Maybe she said (sorry, Sir, the volume knob is stuck).. or (sorry, Sir, but I'm not allowed to). Proabably the volume was not as loud as you preceived it to be because she answered you.

Without knowing what she said, posts like this:

A. she doesn't care

B. she has already damaged her ears to a point that it doesn't seem loud to her

C. Assuming she wants to be noticed, -she wants to be noticed

D. She is dummer than a rock

E. All the above..

really get on my nerves. Is this a complain forum? What about the other customers in that building?

Edited by bamboo

IMO, it is a fact that this girl was cheating her boss or only stupid.

But it is also correct, that there are philippinos who are good and hard workers and also intelligent.

After searching for a couple of years, I have my good people together now, like in Germany, it was very hard to find them. Hardworking, trustworthy and intelligent, though two of them have no college degree.

But I think, some here are overreacting to the posts of other members.

Bob Ward

Many people need to be a bit more patient and tolerant in my opinion. There are very clear stages one goes through while acclimating here. Culture shock is a very real issue to deal with. http://edweb.sdsu.edu/people/CGuanipa/cultshok.htm Some days things will get to you more than others. One that still gets to me is the way many Filipinos just wander down the street or corridor in the mall with no real sense of direction or manners. But you just learn to live with it.

I really find myself agreeing with Poby on this as I find loud music offensive and the disinterested attitude of some - but not all - store staff is quite baffling. But that pales into insignificance when, as Bob points out, some Filipinos wander aimlessly without paying attention to where they're going -- the worst culprits, IMHO, are those who wander around the Malls head down texting.

Don't get me started on mobile phone use by car drivers here :shocked:

Mark

Oh good gosh, I resemble that remark. Well, I try to find a corner to text in, but since I can't see close up with my glasses on, I'm often so clueless. My favorite annoyance are the folks that get off the escalator and just stop. Maybe to text, maybe to talk to their companions about what to do next. But the concept that the escalator is full of people following them just doesn't seem to dent their noggins. Sometimes it is just the right spot to tie junior's shoes. Other times it is where a couple of aging matrons have to relive their high school glory days. I try to remind myself that I am retired, that there is no where I really need to be and if necessary, I clamber across the handrail to get past them. None of it is worth breaking a sweat over. The noise thing is universal. I was in the states listening to surfing oldies turn into loud thug rap replete with graphic language at the local Baja Burrito restaurant the moment the owner walked out the door and turned the place over to the young manager. Some things, including youth, are universal.

Edited by Tatoosh
There are very clear stages one goes through while acclimating here.

Bob, how long would it take to integrate in average in your opinion?

Though I came to the Phils every year since 1999 for at least 6-10 weeks and though I live here now about 5 months, I'm still in it more than I like.

I really find myself agreeing with Poby on this as I find loud music offensive and the disinterested attitude of some - but not all - store staff is quite baffling.

I agree, but we should not forget that WE are the guests and need to adapt to common Philipino sense here. And unfortunately, Karaoke, loud music and disinterested attitude really seem to be common sense.

It's easy to say but sometimes hard to do, I know.

Bob Ward
There are very clear stages one goes through while acclimating here.

Bob, how long would it take to integrate in average in your opinion?

Though I came to the Phils every year since 1999 for at least 6-10 weeks and though I live here now about 5 months, I'm still in it more than I like.

I really find myself agreeing with Poby on this as I find loud music offensive and the disinterested attitude of some - but not all - store staff is quite baffling.

I agree, but we should not forget that WE are the guests and need to adapt to common Philipino sense here. And unfortunately, Karaoke, loud music and disinterested attitude really seem to be common sense.

It's easy to say but sometimes hard to do, I know.

Speedy, I will let you know as soon as I am over it. LOLOLOL As I have pointed out many times, visiting here is just not the same as living here. There are so many variables that come into play. Having some interests and hobbies are a good way to overcome some of the issues. Having regular contact and interactions with other expats helps because you can vent and also learn from others experiences. It's much more effective in person than on a forum where one does not have to really take personal responsibility for one's opinions or actions.

Speedy, I will let you know as soon as I am over it. LOLOLOL As I have pointed out many times, visiting here is just not the same as living here. There are so many variables that come into play. Having some interests and hobbies are a good way to overcome some of the issues. Having regular contact and interactions with other expats helps because you can vent and also learn from others experiences. It's much more effective in person than on a forum where one does not have to really take personal responsibility for one's opinions or actions.

According to your link, I seem to be between stage 3 and 4.

I will experience stage 5 this coming february but I'm sure it will be very mild - there isn't much interest from my side anymore how things are in the old world ... :shocked:

Many poorly paid Filipinos work very hard (some maybe harder than you & I ever worked) and have very good hearts and very good work ethics but dont go generalising the rest of the Philippines because of one bad experience posted on this forum

I live in the Philippines, Kristine. I see the problems and the opportunities each and every day. I'd love to share some of the stories, but I won't on a public forum. I know it's unpopular and it's bad for me to say it, but Filipinos are poor for two reasons, a) bad choices and/or :wacko: laziness. But guess what? That doesn't just apply to Filipinos, it applies to many other nationalities as well, including Aussies, Kiwis, Brits, and Americans.

Unfortunately, you can't fix some of the problems caused by bad choices, but you can fix the problem of laziness and you can educate the people to avoid the bad choices in the future. There are so many opportunities for young Filipinos now that there is no reason why any of them can't be in the middle class, save they are lazy or have made bad choices. Kristine, do you want them to have those opportunities or would you rather them not to have them?

And as for the shop assistant asking for the 75 centavos, did you ever stop to think that she may have just wanted to give you an even amount so you dont have to carry around coins.

:shocked: Obviously you haven't been to Cebu. When non-Cebuanos get together they do talk about this trait in Cebu. You don't find it in other parts of the Philippines like you do in Cebu. When I talked about the change incident, it isn't a one time thing. It is an every time I shop kind of thing. The total is 118.75. Sir, do you have 18 pesos and 75 centavos? and it's just not me, a friend who is a businessman complains about it and has had to spend extra time training his employees that it's lazy and they shouldn't do it.

One that still gets to me is the way many Filipinos just wander down the street or corridor in the mall with no real sense of direction or manners. But you just learn to live with it.

That's not a Filipino thing, that's an Asian thing. I remember in Thailand how people would walk around not only aimlessly, but also slowly. I'd complain about it always, but then I started walking slowly myself. It's nice, you don't work up a sweat and you still get where you are going. I had learned to adapt, but I was out with some Filipino friends a few weeks ago and they were walking so fast. I was the slow one in the group and content on that. You will pick up things from different cultures that are good as well as bad.

About the stages? I have long been at stage 4. Stage 4 can take a long time to reach for those on their first time living abroad, but they can come much more quickly when you have already lived abroad before. I'd say Stage 2 is when most people pack up and leave.

I absolutely love posts like this. It never fails to amaze me how we can all be triggered by the smallest things.

Our reactions are based on our background, consisting of the sum of past experiences and emotions, which for some of us is important to defend, tooth and nail. Hence the occasional lack of patience.

When it comes to the actual experience described here. Yes, we are all presumptuous sometimes, but as I see it, this is a case of probability.

Could the sales clerk be trying to mouth

mikejwoodnz
The times it gets really annoying is when you're standing behind a 400 year old arthritis-ridden, mothball-reeking blind relic, trying to count out the 18.75 in their bottomless bag, because they don't want the additional change. Ending up not understanding why the sales clerk can't accept the 18.70, a bonbon from WWI and a button, he/she has finally paid..... Guess I just let out another pet peeve :wacko:

- who are you - Peter Pan ? - I kmow many, many people who would cheerfully step out of their graves and exchange places with me. ;)

A_Simple_Man
I kmow many, many people who would cheerfully step out of their graves and exchange places with me.

It would be interesting to see your source of information on that bit of info ;)

Many poorly paid Filipinos work very hard (some maybe harder than you & I ever worked) and have very good hearts and very good work ethics but dont go generalising the rest of the Philippines because of one bad experience posted on this forum

I live in the Philippines, Kristine. I see the problems and the opportunities each and every day. I'd love to share some of the stories, but I won't on a public forum. I know it's unpopular and it's bad for me to say it, but Filipinos are poor for two reasons, a) bad choices and/or ;) laziness. But guess what? That doesn't just apply to Filipinos, it applies to many other nationalities as well, including Aussies, Kiwis, Brits, and Americans.

Unfortunately, you can't fix some of the problems caused by bad choices, but you can fix the problem of laziness and you can educate the people to avoid the bad choices in the future. There are so many opportunities for young Filipinos now that there is no reason why any of them can't be in the middle class, save they are lazy or have made bad choices. Kristine, do you want them to have those opportunities or would you rather them not to have them?

And as for the shop assistant asking for the 75 centavos, did you ever stop to think that she may have just wanted to give you an even amount so you dont have to carry around coins.

:wacko: Obviously you haven't been to Cebu. When non-Cebuanos get together they do talk about this trait in Cebu. You don't find it in other parts of the Philippines like you do in Cebu. When I talked about the change incident, it isn't a one time thing. It is an every time I shop kind of thing. The total is 118.75. Sir, do you have 18 pesos and 75 centavos? and it's just not me, a friend who is a businessman complains about it and has had to spend extra time training his employees that it's lazy and they shouldn't do it.

:as-if: "Obviously I havent been to Cebu?" I grew up in Cebu and I am a Cebuana so I think I would understand my own culture...

So would you say a child whose parents cannot afford to educate their kids who end up begging or picking rubbish are poor because a.) of bad choices b.) of laziness???? I think more like lack of choices. What you dont understand and may never understand is that it is what it is and as much as you and I would like for these things to change for the better, but I dont think moaning about it will help. How about next time you go to a shop and a shop assistant asks you for change you ask why they do that and whether its due to laziness? I'm curious myself... We obviously dont agree to the same things and thats ok we're all entitled to our own opinions so hope I havent offended you. ;)

Edited by kristine