Another example of boundless human stupidity

I went to a little mp3 player shop of which there are many down here. The music was deafeningly loud (and distorted) and I couldn't hear a word the sales girl was saying so I shouted "I can't hear you, the music is too loud" in the vain hope she might turn it down a little (or a lot). I saw her lips moving but she made no attempt to take down the decibels so I yelled one more time: "I want to buy this one but I have to go somewhere else to buy it as I can't hear you." Not being adept at lip reading I don't know what she replied but clearly the boom boom sounds were way more important to her than making a sale so I went a couple of doors up and bought the exact same model.

Playing music at that volume in addition to causing permanent hearing damage to the staff, is bound to drive away customers so why do they do it?

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• A_Simple_Man

• Penguin

• Bob Ward

• twostrokes

smokey
I went to a little mp3 player shop of which there are many down here. The music was deafeningly loud (and distorted) and I couldn't hear a word the sales girl was saying so I shouted "I can't hear you, the music is too loud" in the vain hope she might turn it down a little (or a lot). I saw her lips moving but she made no attempt to take down the decibels so I yelled one more time: "I want to buy this one but I have to go somewhere else to buy it as I can't hear you." Not being adept at lip reading I don't know what she replied but clearly the boom boom sounds were way more important to her than making a sale so I went a couple of doors up and bought the exact same model.

Playing music at that volume in addition to causing permanent hearing damage to the staff, is bound to drive away customers so why do they do it?

As my wife has told me many times.... Filipinos LOVE load so they can be noticed

A_Simple_Man

But why did you go inside? If there is loud music, I will pass by and look for the next store.

You can bet this girl was paid by day or monthly and not on her sales, so why she should be interested to sell you something? This would mean work for her! Starting with lifting her a*** hand to turn the volume down ... ;)

I have no explanation why they are doing it (and how they can survive this the whole day). I have less explanation why the owner of this store did not fire her long time ago.

So as I can not change the people, I try not to buy or go there. If everybody does, the problem will solve itself sooner or later ...

twostrokes

A. she doesn't care

B. she has already damaged her ears to a point that it doesn't seem loud to her

C. Assuming she wants to be noticed, -she wants to be noticed

D. She is dummer than a rock

E. All the above..

I remember noticing that same problem in a lot of the nite clubs, even here in the states....How do they expect people to be able to talk, if you can't even hear yourself think.....have never understood that...

Jim

"I want to buy this one but I have to go somewhere else to buy it as I can't hear you." Not being adept at lip reading I don't know what she replied but clearly the boom boom sounds were way more important to her than making a sale so I went a couple of doors up and bought the exact same model.

The root issue isn't about the music, it is an attitude. Plain and simple, the girl was cheating her boss. Her boss is paying her to sell MP3 players, but she chooses to listen to music instead, even to the point of pushing customers away. Ah, but talk with her outside of work and she will tell you how poor she is and how her boss doesn't pay her enough and how she subsists on a meager salary.

Frankly, I have no compassion for someone who is lazy back in the states and cries about money so why would i have any compassion at all for a girl who cheats her employer and then complains that he doesn't pay her enough? If Filipinos want to improve their lives, they need to stop being lazy. Give an honest days work and maybe they will get an honest days salary.

You don't have to go far for this attitude. For example, I was in a store the other day and the amount was 661.73. The girl was asking me for 75 centavos. I started to go into my pocket and then I said, "wait a second. I'm not going to do your job, you give me the change." They are too lazy to even count out the change and expect you to do it for them.

I have grown weary of trying to explain the concepts of audiophilia to Filipinos. They just do not get it. I remember one time, I got into an argument with a guy who build DJ equipment over the lack of any thought to the designing of the equipment. I told him that I had a 50 watt amplifier made back in the 70's that could blow out the windows in a house only at 75% volume. He insisted that is was not possible and then went on to lecture me how his form of speaker design does not even encompass any form of mathematical theorem.

The following day, I grabbed two of my back-loaded 350 mHz horns and my 50 watt Merantz amplifier along with a small portable CD player and went back there. I set it up and you could see the look on his face was of astonishment. Afterwards, he still insisted his way was better even though he actually heard a good system. Today he still insists that a 5,000 watt system (at about 1% to 5% distortion) is louder than a 50 watt system at 0.0001% distortion.

Stubborn till the end. I personally prefer my ears being able to hear things that go clunk in the night, but whatever floats your boat. For me, loudness and clarity are two different things. Should these mobile discos and clubs opt to go with a high-fidelity system rather than what they currently use, then I might visit them, but as long as they are attempting to play it louder then the speakers and amplifiers are capable of handling without distorting the sound I stay clear.

I have no problems with loud music, as long as it is clear and is audible. Anyone here who has had a Merantz system in the past or even people who have one now knows how loud a 50 watt amp can truly be when there is no distortion. If they truley want the bass, then there are better and cheaper ways of producing it versus the expensive amps, all they have to do is learn some mathematics. Then they can build theirselves a single front loaded bass horn tuned in at 40 Hz and see how that does at only 100 watts..... Mwuahahahahaha

-Nick

Then they can build theirselves a single front loaded bass horn tuned in at 40 Hz and see how that does at only 100 watts.....

:o:lmao:

Why not convince them to put on some headphones with that 100watts???? B)

twostrokes
The root issue isn't about the music, it is an attitude.

Attitude.....yes that is a problem...in general if you have 1 filipino working with a supvr near, you get good work and good attitude.

If you get two filipinos working together, you get distraction and productivity goes down...

If you get three filipinos working together, you get a slow down agreement and very little productivity

If you get 4 filipinos working together, you get a labor strike..and not only does productivity come to a stop, but you

end up closing your business and nobody gets a job..

Yes it is a wonderful attitude ...and work ethic....

It is a downward spiral......Filipinos don't work hard because they get little pay..therefore it takes about 5 to do the work of 1 Westerner.....Employers knowing that the productivity is very low, only wants to pay very low salaries, because they have to pay so many to get a job done....and the spiral continues....downward, on and on,

But the answer is not to get new employees, it would be to get new employers because none of the wealthy families are ever going to do anything to change the cycle, or the spiral..they just fire and hire more...

jim

Edited by twostrokes
Bob Ward

One of my first pet peeves in my first few weeks here was the deafening music played at levels that were distorted (clipped) beyond belief. I just could not get my mind to accept the reasoning for the practice. They do it as a way to attract customers, similar to using strobes or other attention getting methods. It might work for s certain segment of Filipinos as they are attracted to the loudest boom boom boom of the bass, regardless of the actual total sound. It just stems from ignorance and lack of exposure to good sound.

About the sales people, it's not really their fault. They are hired at slave wages with no incentive (commission) to sell a product or not. There is very little proper incentive for sales people here in the Phils. They are on flat crappy salaries so their motivation is zip unless the boss is standing right there.

Nick, your audiophile discussion is OT, but I just can't figure where you get some of your information and/or the ways you reference and compare them. I do have a Marantz amp of that era and the 0.0001% distortion (Actually THD) was not achievable in the 70s. Maybe you accidentally added a couple of zeros.

You reference distortion but I think you really are talking about clipping, over driving the speakers. THD is just the accurate reproduction of the amplified frequencies without changing their sound.

Your power comparisons are distorted as well, pun intended! There is peak power and then RMS (.707 % of peak) power. And the calculations vary greatly with the input impedance of the load/speaker.

The big difference in the sound reproduction you referenced is the efficiency of the speaker types you employ.

End of OT!

JohninCebu

It's down to management and training. I have not seen much of either here by PI companies.

mikejwoodnz

Well for the record I have no problem with purchasing things here - why on earth complain about the trivia ? - focus on the truly important things like the supermarket supplying a boy to push my trolley laden with San Miguel home for me for a very modest tip and and wonderful smile and attitude in exchange this was Rustan's in Makati and I have had many similar good experiences in Cebu shopping at my leisure. I do find SM Cebu too loud and kiddy-culture orientated tho and prefer Ayala.

First of all, WHO CARES!!!???!!! How petty to be complaining about this. Like Speedy said, "Why did you go inside?" in the first place.

And as for Penguin.... well, have you personally spoken to the girl and asked her whether she is trying to spite her employer and has she complained to you personally about how poorly she is being paid? Well my guess is... No! For all you know, her employer may insist on playing loud music to attract customers. Please stop assuming things as it is "another example of boundless human stupidity".

Edited by kristine
First of all, WHO CARES!!!???!!! How petty to be complaining about this. Like Speedy said, "Why did you go inside?" in the first place.

And as for Penguin.... well, have you personally spoken to the girl and asked her whether she is trying to spite her employer and has she complained to you personally about how poorly she is being paid? Well my guess is... No! For all you know, her employer may insist on playing loud music to attract customers. Please stop assuming things as it is "another example of boundless human stupidity".

Well speaking to the girl is quite impossible due to the volume level.

Indeed I was making some assumptions. I assumed the business owner was in business to make money and thus wanted to attract customers to sell goods to. The music is likely to have just the opposite effect. I suspect the owner is aware of the volume level and so how is this not an example of stupidity? Being an extremely logical person, I find it irritating when I see blatant examples of irrationality. The fact that I couldn't buy it from that store didn't bother me at all. It was the reason that annoyed me. As to "Who cares?", perhaps no one, so if you find it boring to read such then perhaps don't bother?

I don't know about you, Kristine, but my parents taught me to do every job 110%, no matter how little or how much you are being paid to do a job. From Poby described, there is no doubt at all that the girl wasn't doing her job of selling Mp3 players. How do I know? She sent a customer packing.

The Philippines is never going to get ahead until people get to working. Unfortunately, you have a rich class that wants the poor to stay poor and a poor class who is only too happy to oblige the rich class by disdaining the hard work.