Sign in to follow this  
Hankc1949

I want to Fly Fish

Hankc1949

Hello I recently received a membership to IFFF ( International Federation of Fly Fishers) http://www.fedflyfishers.org/Home.aspx  As a DAV this organization gave me a free membership good till 2050. Since I'm 65 this is pretty much a Life membership. I have wanted to learn to Fly Fish for as long as I can remember but I never took the time to learn. Now fully retired I have the time but not the access. I can't even find a place here in Cebu that sells Fly rods, reels, or flies. From a recent internet search the closest group of Fly Fishers to me is in Malaysia. When I go to the Amazon site looking to buy a Fly Fishing gear, almost all the ads say "This item does not shipped to the Philippines".  Where the hell am I, another planet? Anyway, if there are any Fly Fishers living here in the Cebu or elswhere I really hope you'll get in touch with me. Tell me where you fish, where you get your gear, and any other tips you can give me.

mrPres.jpg

My Hero. You go Get'Em Mr. President!!

Edited by Hankc1949
  • Like 1

Jeepney

TCE tackle manager Rainer works from a warehouse now, after the shop closed,

if you checked at the SM/Ayala sports shops, then there is a chance that he has what you are looking for,

or is maybe able to order it along with other supplies he needs.

Edit, make sure to contact Rainer before you go there, Singsong Village is between Mabolo Church and San Mig Brew.

http://www.istorya.net/forums/hobbies-and-crafts-50/234890-likes-fishing-604.html

Si Rainier, former boss sa TCE naay bag-o nga tackle shop, 'Reel Tackle', naa sa Singson Village, Mandawe, in front of Aidan Surplus. Contact No. 09173219341. Basin makatabang

rod and reel combos you can buy at Chris sports and Hahn sa SM,

some other stores in carbon area.

other suppliers if you have facebook you can search this guy.. based in dipolog but he ships his product too..
got some tackles from him..

his name is kenny
https://www.facebook.com/kennys.tackleshop

another guy is from cebu.. Ben Fogle
you can check his site and u can leave msg there too..

Fishing The Philippines | Fish, Fishing spots, Lures, Tactics and more

i heard there's a tackle shop to at cebu yacht club..

I flyfish in Ireland, will be doing this with the mayfly season this year again.

Never tried it here in the PH.

But sure learning to flyfish here is possible, even if you would never land a trout or salmon here....lol...maybe tilapia will take.

Hope this helps you a bit.

Edited by Jeepney
  • Like 2

goggleye

wish i was there i would love to show you how to cast and how to tie up some flies    :-) came back to edit to say a tilapia pond would be a good place to start they are great fun on a fly rod

Edited by goggleye

Hankc1949

Thanks Guys. I have contacted Ben and he is on the look out for gear for me. I'll check out Kenny also.  Tilapia pond does sound like fun I'll make some inquiries. Any more thoughts are welcome.

Regards

Hank

shadow

Hello I recently received a membership to IFFF ( International Federation of Fly Fishers) http://www.fedflyfishers.org/Home.aspx  As a DAV this organization gave me a free membership good till 2050. Since I'm 65 this is pretty much a Life membership. I have wanted to learn to Fly Fish for as long as I can remember but I never took the time to learn. Now fully retired I have the time but not the access. I can't even find a place here in Cebu that sells Fly rods, reels, or flies. From a recent internet search the closest group of Fly Fishers to me is in Malaysia. When I go to the Amazon site looking to buy a Fly Fishing gear, almost all the ads say "This item does not shipped to the Philippines".  Where the hell am I, another planet? Anyway, if there are any Fly Fishers living here in the Cebu or elswhere I really hope you'll get in touch with me. Tell me where you fish, where you get your gear, and any other tips you can give me.

mrPres.jpg

My Hero. You go Get'Em Mr. President!!

I haven't seen gear for fly fishing anywhere, but have seen people fly fishing and catching fish (snakeheads) at Tirumbulo highland resort near Mabinay, Negros Oriental.

Headshot

I have tried flies on the tilapia and bangus at Papa Kits in Liloan, but couldn't even get a single rise. I think they are too used to eating cornmeal bait. I caught a few nice bangus, and quite a few small tilapia, but that was after I switched to bait. The fish there are fed pellets, so I'm not sure they know what wild food is or recognize it when they see it. Therefore, it's kind of hard to fool them with artificial lures and flies.

Edited by Headshot
  • Like 1

Sonny

I have tried flies on the tilapia and bangus at Papa Kits in Liloan, but couldn't even get a single rise. I think they are too used to eating cornmeal bait. I caught a few nice bangus, and quite a few small tilapia, but that was after I switched to bait. The fish there are fed pellets, so I'm not sure they know what wild food is or recognize it when they see it. Therefore, it's kind of hard to fool them with artificial lures and flies.

Present them a fly that looks like a pellet.   :biggrin_01:

• Like 2

Scotsbloke

Fly fishing and golf are the two least efficient sports on the planet.

If you want to catch fish?  Use a net or an explosive in a pool.

If you want to put a wee ball in a small hole?  Don't use a golf club.

goggleye

• Like 2

Jeepney

You can have some fun learning fly fishing here, having a hobby is a must here, and starting in a tilapia pond/lake is a good start, 

there may be chances also at that catchment lake between San Fernando and Carcar.

I can advice you to talk to Rainer, mentioned in my post above, he knows a lot about fishing and the area here.

Also this, not fly fishing but:

Try with a flying fish as bait to go for the sailfish, there is a tournament in April (15th) I think, in Siargao Island, Pilar,

again Rainer knows all about this. And do google this, this kind fishing is much better suited for the Ph.

Imo fly fishing goes together with nature, where other countries give that extra what the Ph do not have:

rivers and lakes with trout/salmon.

• Like 2

Hankc1949

I have been to Papa Kits also. I can believe what you say about the fish

• Like 2

Headshot

The one thing they didn't mention in that video was that those fish were nesting. Nesting Tilapia will attack ANYTHING...whether they see it as food or not. Just get something close to the nest, and you will catch fish. Of course, the trick is to be there when the fish are nesting...and know where the nests are. Having an underwater camera that would help him pinpoint the nests certainly didn't hurt his chances.

• Like 2

goggleye

I saw that too - they are spawning  - most places they are considered an undesirable invasive species  :-)  like here in Florida or Texas   So I can catch and enjoy here whether i am disrupting their spawning or not    i think you could see their spawning beds in the water.

goggleye

I have been to Papa Kits also. I can believe what you say about the fish there. All I caught was bangus. My friend just invited me to go along with him to KL next month. While he's stuck working I'm going fishing. Already found a casting class for $55 and I'll get the gear there. Then come back here and start trying my luck. Thinking a 8 or 9 wt might give me enough versatility to fish fresh or saltwater back here. Any thoughts from you experienced Fly Fishers?

hate to have you buy too much equipment but a 8 or 9 wt is good for saltwater but too big for freshwater.  a 4 or 5 or 6 would make it more fun for a fish like a tilapia  or even a snakefish ..   When you take a lesson always remember if you get frustrated we tend to try harder - with flyfishing it will only get worse if you try harder  -  you have to relax and work on the right arm motion and timing   a stick with a string on it is a good way to start  :-)   its easy and fluid if we just relax  

• Like 1

Hankc1949

Thanks for the advice. Its just what I was hoping for. Relaxing has never been easy for me. Guess I'll have to practice.