Headed to Palawan: El Nido and Port Barton

I was at Port Barton about 20 years ago ...great long sweeping beach good for swimming and became deep quickly .. surrounded by coconut palms ..only accommodation then was A frame cabins ...very basic ..but about P100 a night if I remember ...the road from Puerto Princessa was shite then !!

I'm quite sure it has changed a little since then. :D

• Like 1
  • Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• TheMatrix

• Paul

• Yellowfever

• Rocketman

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I'm leaving here in a few minutes toward the airport where we fly into Puerto Princesa, rent a vehicle for the multi-hour road trip to Port Barton and eventually El Nido.  Be back in 11 days.      

Must try KaLui Restaurant while in PP

Filippinos rough it every day, most people want something out of the ordinary for their vacation.  The opposite of fantasy is, after all, reality ;-)

Posted Images

nomad4ever

Hey, you can get to Malaysia from there? Is that official? Can you elaborate a bit more?

I would be heavily interested! Is there a boat? Need passport? I wouldn't mind to drop in there and enjoy a few days of Malay food, must be awesome to commute between both countries easily.

I'm looking for a way to do that quite a while now, but didn't want to venture into the Sulu sea for it...

Wanna bet it doesn't look like the photos?

It's a place I've always wanted to visit though, and you can get to malaysia from there pretty easy too. Even the name "palawan" is enticing, but then things are not always what they seem. I went some way out of my ways to ride the "vegetable highway" which I've been eyeing off for some time, but there were no vegetables.

TheMatrix

We have arrived:

image.png

First-Glimpse-of-Port-Barton-Bay.jpg

What kind of vehicle will you rent ?

We rented a Toyota Avanza.  It was brand new, pic below.  Price was 17,000p for the week, 2400p ea add'l day.  The vehicle barely made it however down that treacherous road connecting the main highway over the range to Port Barton.  The mud was so the thick and thank God for momentum.  Had to keep going fast to get through the deep stuff and I felt like it was driving boat sometimes, or like driving in a foot of snow.

image.png

Though the road is now paved a good percentage of the way, more than 50%, DO NOT TRY TO GET HERE VIA A SEDAN.  Here's some pics I found of some of the more nastier areas:

image.png

image.png

Here's the route to Port Barton:

image.png

So far, the best place I've been in the RP and the only place I plan to revisit.  If you can, try the Coconut Garden Island Resort off of Port Barton.  Nice secluded resort with great food and good prices.

Will be dining there tonight.  Thanks!

I was at Port Barton about 20 years ago ...great long sweeping beach good for swimming and became deep quickly .. surrounded by coconut palms ..only accommodation then was A frame cabins ...very basic ..but about P100 a night if I remember ...the road from Puerto Princessa was shite then !!

Now these A-frame are going for about 700/night.  Though its difficult to get here, I think the tourist have found it and more are coming.  Prices are sure to skyrocket once the roads are finished.

image.png

image.png

image.png

image.png

We're here for three more nights and then off to El Nido!

Edited by TheMatrix
TheMatrix

More pics, including the resort we're staying at called Deep Gold.

image.png

image.png

image.png

image.png

image.png

image.png

image.png

image.png

• Like 1
NOSOCALPINOY
It isn't on my bucket list anymore with muddy roads going through a jungle like that!
Besides, I would never ever drive anywhere in the Philippines that AAP couldn't provide
Maybe it's better just to take a boat and go to every point around the island where there
is a pier and lodging nearby. 
Just be aware though of the deadly mosquitoes in Palawn! Here's an article about a Philippine
TV broadcaster's son who died of cerebral malaria in Palawan (didn't mention the area).

http://www.google.com.ph/search?nord=1&q=Son+of+Philippine+newscaster+dies+of+malaria+in+Palawan&cad=b&biw=1120&bih=635&dpr=1.5&cad=cbv&sei=jHTAVKf0GMTf8AX_14GoCA

Edited by NOSOCALPINOY
  • Like 1

I tell ya, the more photos I see - the more I can't wait to get back in a hammock drinkin' coconuts. Won't find too many of either, here in Oregon!

Great photos, Steve. Thanks.

• Like 1
TheMatrix

It isn't on my bucket list anymore with muddy roads going through a jungle like that! Besides, I would never ever drive anywhere in the Philippines that AAP couldn't provide emergency roadside service! https://www.google.c...thephilippines Maybe it's better just to take a boat and go to every point around the island where there is a pier and lodging nearby. 

An helicopter is always an option too!

I like, the more desolate, the better.  I wish there were still  places where no man has ever set foot.

• Like 1
TheMatrix

I tell ya, the more photos I see - the more I can't wait to get back in a hammock drinkin' coconuts. Won't find too many of either, here in Oregon!

Great photos, Steve. Thanks.

A fast talking salesman sold me a hammock in Oslob.  He wanted 2000p, and I thought I got a deal at 800.  The next guy came around and offered to sell me one for 400.  Dang!  Anyway, I'll have a hammock up between two trees by this summer.

• Like 2
Rocketman

I'm searching for a nice secluded resort in Coron if you end up that far north.

nomad4ever

So no way to get from Port Barton to Malaysia? I googled, but nothing came up... @Yellowfever?

BossHog

there's a well-established people trafficking route

not, safe, legal, or in anyway a good idea.

• Like 2
TheMatrix

So no way to get from Port Barton to Malaysia? I googled, but nothing came up... @Yellowfever?

There's no ferry service from Port Barton to anywhere.  Port Barton is a hole in the wall.  No electicity, no roads.  Hardly a place for a ferry run.  However, there are lots of boats and I'm sure you can hire a boat to take you to Maylaysia.  Do a search for ferry services out of Puerto Princesa.  You'll may find ferries to neighboring countries and islands.  

We stayed at Coron a couple years ago.  Keep in mind, no direct flights from Cebu, therefore you fly into Manila and take another flight to Busuanga.  We stayed at this resort:

Here's some pics from our stay in Coron

Almost a year ago I was here http://www.livingincebuforums.com/topic/69639-majikas-island-beach-resort/

Wish I was back there now.  Secluded, quiet, everything taken care of.  I suspect the price is negotiable if you give them a ring and tailor the holiday to exactly what you want.

It isn't on my bucket list anymore with muddy roads going through a jungle like that!
Besides, I would never ever drive anywhere in the Philippines that AAP couldn't provide
Maybe it's better just to take a boat and go to every point around the island where there
is a pier and lodging nearby. 
Just be aware though of the deadly mosquitoes in Palawn! Here's an article about a Philippine
TV broadcaster's son who died of cerebral malaria in Palawan (didn't mention the area).

http://www.google.com.ph/search?nord=1&q=Son+of+Philippine+newscaster+dies+of+malaria+in+Palawan&cad=b&biw=1120&bih=635&dpr=1.5&cad=cbv&sei=jHTAVKf0GMTf8AX_14GoCA

It is beautiful there.  The road to Port Barton from the main road was an interesting ride.  If you stay at Secret Paradise Resort (on the mainland, but a boat ride from Port Barton as no road access) they will pick you up in a 4x4 from your hotel in PP.  A stunning place to stay and one of the few places in the Philippines I would like to go back to.  I was there 2 years ago and still remember waking up and sitting up in bed and looking across the bay and the fish jumping out of the water.  Some of the reviews on Tripadvisor complain about the sandflies, but no sign of them when we were there.  Also complaints about the food, but the seafood was great and delivered fresh each day by the local fishermen. 

Yellowfever

I remember hearing a couple years ago that there was going to be a roro from puerto princesa to Sabah, was supposed to start early 2014 but looks like it hasn't eventuated after a bit of googling.  Shame because it had always been in the back of my mind that you could take a bike into malaysia that way.  

• Like 1