Medical repatriation insurance

Hello

I look for a "medical repatriation insurance". It covers emergency care and later transportation to your home country if needed. (I come from a country in northern Europe and have medical coverage there.)

I do NOT wish to pay fees for general travel insurance covering robbery, theft, lost luggage, delayed flights etc.

I do not intend to use it for minor medical problems. It should be an emergency backup and can have a high deductible and preferably lower fees.

The insurance should be valid in the Philippines and world wide.

Does anyone have suggestions?

I just checked AMEX which does not seem to accept new policyholders now.

Thanks.

youngwillie

If it's only for a short time like less than a year just take the insurance.

I know insurance is just a racket but you never know and public hospitals in Phils look bleak to me (I'm also a northern European)

contraman

My credit card covers me for repatriation if I used the card to purchase my flight to that country :)

If it's only for a short time like less than a year just take the insurance.

I know insurance is just a racket but you never know and public hospitals in Phils look bleak to me (I'm also a northern European)

I agree with all you say. I have lived in the Philippines for a couple of years but also travel extensively in other places.

But it is for longer period. I have been abroad for 15 years without coberage and I am coming to an age where I feel I must check out this option.

Many years ago some friends had "medical repatriation insurance". It worked well from what I heard. Good hospitals were chosen locally.

My credit card covers me for repatriation if I used the card to purchase my flight to that country :)

I think all those credit card insurances only covers the first 45 (60?) days or so.

Same with travel insurance included in home insurance. (At least medical, apart from some assault coverage.)

For longer stay abroad I think you need separate medical insurance to cover medical emergencies.

youngwillie

I agree with all you say. I have lived in the Philippines for a couple of years but also travel extensively in other places.

But it is for longer period. I have been abroad for 15 years without coberage and I am coming to an age where I feel I must check out this option.

Many years ago some friends had "medical repatriation insurance". It worked well from what I heard. Good hospitals were chosen locally.

I don't know how accurate this actually would be if tried but I have heard of (only heard of) UK citizens who are foreign residents, having problems being treated by the NHS upon their return. If you returned and were resident for some weeks or a month then you would be RESIDENT but the problem allegedly happened when they were trying to come for example from Morocco back to the UK and get treatment.

As I said I don't know for sure. It was just something I heard. With the attitude of the current administration I would not be surprised if it were true.

You don't say where in Europe, so maybe other countries are less cold-hearted but it is something you may want to check out.

I don't know how accurate this actually would be if tried but I have heard of (only heard of) UK citizens who are foreign residents, having problems being treated by the NHS upon their return. If you returned and were resident for some weeks or a month then you would be RESIDENT but the problem allegedly happened when they were trying to come for example from Morocco back to the UK and get treatment.

As I said I don't know for sure. It was just something I heard. With the attitude of the current administration I would not be surprised if it were true.

You don't say where in Europe, so maybe other countries are less cold-hearted but it is something you may want to check out.

I have been through all that. My national insurance company tried to "unregister" me from the insurance of my country.

They claimed some completely made up rules. I had to use a lawyer to stay registered in my country.

My lawyer tells me to keep an apartment in my country that I never let to anyone else, just forward mail temporarily etc etc

Very important point you take up. Many fail to think of this. One guy from my country went to PI didn't listen to advice and had to go back to sort things out.

SkyMan

Problem solved, use Contraman's credit card to buy your flight to the Phils.  :)  This site is so helpful.

• Like 1

Problem solved, use Contraman's credit card to buy your flight to the Phils. :) This site is so helpful.

Sorry. I don't think the problem is solved.

I have never heard of any credit card giving travel insurance more than 45 or 60 days after you use it to buy air ticket.

What I need and ask for is long term medical coverage.

Good topic.  I was thinking about this recently and have not got around to researching it.  A quick search shows a Consumers report article and as suggested will check me credit card coverage.

http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/2012/06/do-you-need-travel-insurance/index.htm                       Whiner

I had purchased my tickets with a Bank of America  Visa card and checked their site for coverage.   It was not an easy check and took some time.  It seams Visa has emergency travel assistance, but will not cover 1 cent of costs.

I am exploring    http://insuremytrip.com   now.            

Over the years I have never concerned myself with travel insurance, but my health is not what it was and the world is  changing.   Whiner