Digitek DT-2843R AC/DC Multimeter

If I ever set up an new bench I'll want some newer instruments, until then handheld has to be all I can mess with. Anyone here ver mess with or use something like this

51sYXYJhYoL.jpg

I bet Martin has. I've been following him a long time, on ScrewTube. You ever watch his videos, C Man?

thebob

If I ever set up an new bench I'll want some newer instruments, until then handheld has to be all I can mess with. Anyone here ver mess with or use something like this

51sYXYJhYoL.jpg

No but I want one. I've got a couple of old analogue scopes that I'd like to take to Cebu but they are just too big. 

The guy on the solar forum that did the review of tons of multimeters didn't give Mastech a good rating.

Avoid these things they are cheap and awful.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-LCD-Digital-Multimeter-DT830B-not-include-battery-/351268528440?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_2&hash=item51c93c6138

I need one that will test caps

The meter Paul posted tests ESR for small caps. Take them out of circuit first.

Edited by Paul
fixed URL
  • Like 1

No but I want one. I've got a couple of old analogue scopes that I'd like to take to Cebu but they are just too big. 

The last one I ever used was in my Electronics Cluster (2 class time periods) class, in high school. It looked a bit like this:

USA PACO ES550B 01.jpg

certifiedfordtec

I still use my radio shack one from like 1992. Not sure if it does caps or not. Never needed to test one I guess.

• Like 1
thebob

I still use my radio shack one from like 1992. Not sure if it does caps or not. Never needed to test one I guess.

Starting from about 15 years ago, the dialectic paste in lots of capacitors is defective. The recipe was stolen from the Japanese manufacturers and wrongly copied. Capacitor plague There are still lots of these and copies of them in the supply chains.

Almost every flat screen TV I've repaired was because of bad caps in the power supply destroying an FET or a regulator upstream. Cheap fixes that often take hours to troubleshoot.

The same problem is prevalent in inverters and charge controllers used in solar systems.

• Like 1

THe nice thing about this is that not only is it a tiny (and semi-good) scope but it also does signal generation and such. It's not a super duper instrument but for something cheap you can bang around in your pocket? Yeah, I'd use it.

• Like 1

I have a Craftsman, re branded something else I am sure.   But what I really want is one with an automatic shutoff, I always leave it on and drain the battery!