Retired Military hubby

Headshot

Mari, I sent you a PM. Just look up at the top of any page in LinC Forums for a little envelope. Click it, and you will see your PM.

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• NOSOCALPINOY

• Mari M

• ROVER

• Salty Dog

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Good day everybody! Now, here I am with my longest post since becoming a member just 2 days ago Don't know where to post this since questions are all over the place and I'm so sorry about this   F

Just a quick correction here if she has a valid Philippine Pass port and enters as a Filipino she does not need an ACR card (she will be here as a Filipino)

Not true my friend, my wife only shows her US passport which shows she was born in the Philippines and we get the bb stamp every year upon entry. The law also says a copy of marriage license but we ha

Posted Images

Headshot

RAO is an organization set up to help US military retirees overseas. Mail is just one of their services.

FPO stands for Fleet Post Office, which is the organization responsible for overseas US mail. They serve not only the US military, but also US embassies.

AP stands for Asia Pacific, which is like a state code (most drop down menus for address have the FPO region codes along with the state codes). FPO goes in the space for your city in your address and AP goes in the state. Along with that goes the address and the zip code in their respective spots.

SkyMan

3. ACR not needed but will do SSRN?

SSRV?  Correct.  But also not with BB.

4. Exit Philippines before one year is up TOGETHER for him to get another BB stamp.

That's the best and probably cheapest way.  A couple days in HK or Thailand every year is pretty cheap.

8. Philhealth. What's the advantage of having separate membership? Or is it better to just be in both policy?

I don't think he can get PH but he's covered under yours.

10. VA. He does not have any service related disability. Can he still use the VA pharmacy to get his medicines?

I don't think they'll do anything for him if he's not service connected but he may get scripts mailed from the VA in the US.

13. What is the difference between APO and RAO? I've read RAO when in Philippines ,it gives us a US FPO address.  14. Do we still need to maintain US address if we get APO/RAO/FPO in the Philippines?

Retired Activity Office and Fleet Post Office.  If he's a member of the RAO he can get mail through the FPO.  Just like having US Mail but a bit slower.  The RAO is near the Cebu SM mall.  

To NoSoCalPinoy,so husband can apply for 9a just before BB expire and he can stay 6 more months and then exit before 6 months is up? 18 months total?

I'm not NoSo but I thought I would point out that extending a BB is far from free.  While the BB stamp is itself free, once the year is up it's like you've been on tourist visa and extending the whole time.  I think it's p11K or so to extend six months plus he'd have to get an ACR-I card for over $50.  (Yes $)  And he will then be requied to pay travel tax (p1600) and get an exit visa when he does leave which I think is p1500. So you can see why many leave the country for a day every year and get a new BB stamp for free.

Edited by SkyMan
  • Like 1

Yes, he can get his own Phil-Health Policy, they begin allowing it either early 2014 or late 2013 I forget....I have checked with Phil-Health when several expats I know stated that they had gotten it.

NOSOCALPINOY

I thought I would point out that extending a BB is far from free.  While the BB stamp is itself free, once the year is up it's like you've been on tourist visa and extending the whole time.  I think it's p11K or so to extend six months plus he'd have to get an ACR-I card for over $50.  (Yes $)  And he will then be requied to pay travel tax (p1600) and get an exit visa when he does leave which I think is p1500. So you can see why many leave the country for a day every year and get a new BB stamp for free.

To get the facts correct as to how much one would pay for 24 months worth of visa extensions when one's BB stamp has expired, here are the total actual costs below that I've paid in 2 yrs worth of visa extensions. Decide for yourself if it's worth it to leave the country and return for another BB stamp.

We did just that back in 2012 when we went to Hong Kong for a 4 day turnaround trip and spent over P60,000 total for just my wife and myself just for another BB stamp, that's including a vehicle rental with driver to get us to NAIA and back home upon our return. Your choice, P60,000 or half of P35,577? Or for the cost of a roundtrip airfare only, one can fly to where it's cheap, land and wait at the airport for the next flight out to return, saving in hotel room and food, some people actually do that just to save money. 

BTW, Balikbayans are exempt from paying the Philippine Travel Tax when one has been in the country for less than one year. Most travel agents are good about knowing that, but some do not and inadvertently by mistake add it in your airfare cost! Also Balikbayans are exempt from having an onward ticket according to the memorandum in my OP, but be aware that some airlines do not know their own policies and this memorandum. We didn't have onward tickets when we went to Hong Kong and back, but for the regular tourists it's mandatory according to the memorandum. We went on PAL and they knew of the memorandum, but ask your airline just to be certain.     

P10,197.00 1st 6 month extension including ACR I-Card

P  8,340.00 2nd 6 month extension

P 10,020.00 3rd 6 month extension including 2nd ACR I-Card

P   7,020.00 4th 6 month extension

P35,577.00 24 months total worth of visa extensions 
Edited by NOSOCALPINOY
SkyMan

Yes, he can get his own Phil-Health Policy, they begin allowing it either early 2014 or late 2013 I forget....I have checked with Phil-Health when several expats I know stated that they had gotten it.

Is there an advantage to that though?  Other than for unmarried expats.  If a married guy is still covered by his wife's PH, why pay double?

BTW, Balikbayans are exempt from paying the Philippine Travel Tax when one has been in the country for less than one year.

Which is why I mentioned he has to pay that if he extends beyond the first free year.  So you have the choice of r/t tickets for 2 to Thailand, HK, wherever, (additional cost if you want to enjoy the place you go), or extend for a year at

1st 6 months  p10,197

2nd 6 months p8340

Tavel Tax    p1640

Exit visa       p1500

or total about p22K  plus 3 trips to the BI.

I just looked up Cebu Pacific.  2 r/t tickets CEB-HK-CEB  Total  p13,600.  Plus TT for her and taxi to/fm airport p15,500

Edited by SkyMan

Traveling from the US with my Filipino wife we used Delta airlines ( frequent flyer) every time. Was never asked for a onward ticket. If you have any problem just ask to speak with a supervisor. Some booking agents may not know the rules. I would not waste money to buy throw away ticket.

I suspect you have a 13a, if I am correct, then you do not need an onward or return ticket with any airline as you have residence in the Philippines, but I travel as just the husband of a former Filipino citizen, so Delta had been a pain to me year after year, even when I have called the executive offices only to be told that it is up to the traveler to prove they can stay without a visa and not for the airline to learn the laws.

Each year when we get to the terminal I am refused a boarding pass and most times only after I have them call a supervisor and show them a copy of the BB law do they give me a boarding pass, sometimes the clerk will read the law and accept it, so even when I have used Delta each and every year for the same trip and my passport has tons of stamps showing 3 to 4 month stays without a visa, they do not care as their computer must be overridden to say that I have a visa. The onward or return ticket is yet another thing they seem to insist on but it can be within a year, once I prove to them with a copy of the law that I can stay that long as a BB. 

Everyone's mileage may vary, so my warning is just so people are prepared with a copy of the law, so they too can prove to Delta or whatever other airline might insist on it, that they too can stay without a visa. Each year I hope Delta will not refuse me, so I now also have a copy of an email to me from the BI saying the same thing.

Edit to add, BTW if you are also doing the BB thing then I am amazed Delta has let you on without showing a copy of the law.

Edited by Lee
  • Like 1
NOSOCALPINOY

Which is why I mentioned he has to pay that if he extends beyond the first free year.  So you have the choice of r/t tickets for 2 to Thailand, HK, wherever, (additional cost if you want to enjoy the place you go), or extend for a year at

The BB stamp for the free one year is not counted, only after the 1st and 2nd visa extension. 

1st 6 months  p10,197

2nd 6 months p  8,340

Travel Tax      p 1640  Not assessed until over 1 yr in the Philippines

Exit visa         p 1500  Not assessed until over 6 months in the Philippines

or total about  p22K    plus 3 trips to the BI.

Total     P18,535 only 2 trips to the BI for the 1st & 2nd 6 month visa extension (once every 6 months)

I just looked up Cebu Pacific.  2 r/t tickets CEB-HK-CEB  Total  p13,600.  Plus TT for her and taxi to/fm airport P15,500

At one's destination, add hotel, food and ground transportation to the airfare of P15,500 and it would surly be more than P15,500 and or P18,535 (one yr visa extension). 

Back in 2012 we spent about P60,000 including everything for a 4 day turnaround trip at Hong Kong.

Might as well enjoy the trip to Hong Kong and we did! What's P60,000? Only around $1,300 USD!

Edited by NOSOCALPINOY
NOSOCALPINOY

2. I am DUAL Citizen. To just show my Philippine PP, keep marriage certificate on hand, BI letter about BB to be sure.

3. ACR not needed but will do SSRN?

2. Reread my OP concerning the two passport rule upon a dual citizen's arrival and departure in and or out of the Philippines.

You must show your U.S. and Philippine Passport upon arrival and departure only in/out of the Philippines so that the airport immigration official can annotate both of your passports accordingly.   

3. ACR I-Cards and or SSRN#s are not issued to Balibayans, but I'm sure the nearest BI field office will accommodate you if your husband really wants an ACR I-Card or SSRN# on a voluntary bases. Besides, he will eventually get one sooner or later, but probably neither sooner nor later as long he continues to be a Balikbayan.

Balikbayan status is a lot more convenient way to go, because both of you won't have to get involved at all with immigration within your free stay of one year, just at the airport when they stamp your passports with the BB stamp upon arrival or an exit stamp at departure.  

Here's a link below explaining the Alien Registration Project (ARP): 

http://www.fragomen.com/newsresources/xprNewsDetailFrag.aspx?xpST=GlobalAlerts&news=2856

Edited by NOSOCALPINOY

Thank you all so much...taking notes here on everything I've learned from all of you. I'm so glad I joined this very informative site. 

Is there an advantage to that though? Other than for unmarried expats. If a married guy is still covered by his wife's PH, why pay double?

The only advantage is that each would have full coverage, who ever's name is owner, gets full coverage than anyone else on it gets lesser benifits, lesser coverage time in hospital, lesser amount paid on everything and some things not covered (that are covered for Owner of policy.

It just depends on if both are in good health or how they feel about Emergencies coming up....(and if they have other insurance without going all the way to Guam. :good:

Edited by ROVER
NOSOCALPINOY

If one is concerned of the inadequacies of Phil Health's limited coverage, retired military members always have their TRICARE Standard Overseas coverage under the Demo Program in the Philippines, where the certified hospital will process claims on behalf of the retiree, where the retiree only has to pay their deductible and co-payment of their total medical bills, just like it's done in the U.S.. 

Just look up the certified provider's list of hospitals and or doctors on the TRICARE website under the DEMO Program.

http://www.tricare.mil/FindDoctor/Overseas/Philippines.aspx

• 3 weeks later...

Someone mentioned about Express Script here. How can we get Express Script send my husband's meds to either our APO/RAO or send to the Philippines? Do we tell his doctor to fax the prescription to Express Script then SE will send it to whatever address we give them?

Thank you once again.

Mari

• Administrator
Salty Dog

Someone mentioned about Express Script here. How can we get Express Script send my husband's meds to either our APO/RAO or send to the Philippines? Do we tell his doctor to fax the prescription to Express Script then SE will send it to whatever address we give them?

Thank you once again.

Mari

Yes they will send it to an APO or FPO address. The prescription has to be written by a US lisensed doctor.

• Like 1

Thank you. I tried to register him online with Express Script but it didn't go through. I will have him call the # tomorrow to get it started.