Retired Military hubby

2. There is nothing wrong with also showing your US passport when you arrive, but you MUST show your Philippine passport.

Not true my friend, my wife only shows her US passport which shows she was born in the Philippines and we get the bb stamp every year upon entry. The law also says a copy of marriage license but we have never been asked for it in all these years but there can always be a first time. As long as they plan on leaving each year then there is no reason to show the PHL passport but if she plans on staying, then yes she should show her PHL passport so she does not have to deal with the BI at all.

As for one way tickets, it is going to depend on the airline, PAL seems to be okay with that but Delta always refuses me a boarding pass until I show them a copy of the BB law and even with that they insist on a exit ticket, which is not a problem for me since I always have a return ticket. I would suggest an onward throw away or a open return ticket if the op plans a return trip.

If the op plans on staying then it might be better for them to apply for a 13a before leaving, it is said to be permanent when gotten outside the PHL but temporary when applied for inside the PHL and either way it will require an FBI background check, so easier and probably better to do it and send it off to the PHL Embassy closest to them for validating before leaving. 

• Like 1
  • Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• NOSOCALPINOY

• Mari M

• ROVER

• Salty Dog

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Good day everybody! Now, here I am with my longest post since becoming a member just 2 days ago Don't know where to post this since questions are all over the place and I'm so sorry about this   F

Just a quick correction here if she has a valid Philippine Pass port and enters as a Filipino she does not need an ACR card (she will be here as a Filipino)

Not true my friend, my wife only shows her US passport which shows she was born in the Philippines and we get the bb stamp every year upon entry. The law also says a copy of marriage license but we ha

Posted Images

Oh and on the meds, ask the doctor and insurance for a vacation refill, they will usually give up to 6 months worth and have a doctors letter what he is being treated for and what meds are required for the conditions.

NOSOCALPINOY

Art, wasn't there some discussion about this applying to even those with a BB stamp.

attachicon.gifpost-8417-0-23402200-1420590653.jpg

Apparently Immigration did not push it upon the Balikbayans! Maybe some other time in the future or not at all. 

SkyMan

1.  No need for onward ticket coming in BB but if he's planning to return to the US after some time it may be better to get a r/t for him with the return as far out as he might likely return and then adjust for a fee as the time gets closer.  If he returns on his own though, he can't get BB when he comes back so would then need an onward ticket. 

2.  I would not show your US pp on arrival.  No need to give TMI.

3.  On BB he won't need an ACR-I card and you never will.

4.  Correct, Any time you both enter together (might be good to carry a copy of your MC) he gets 1 year.  Note that it terminates if he leaves the country even within the year.

5.  It would be the BI but not unless he is going over the 1 year.

6.  WF?  I would assume you have USAA or Navy Fed Credit Union or both?  While they're the same as far as I know banking wise, USAA has a lot of advantages for insurance (which won't do you any good in the RP) and investment features.  My retirement pay goes directly into my USAA account and there's an ATM here (HSBC bank) I can withdraw money directly with no fee.  I also can transfer money from USAA to my US HSBC savings account and withdraw funds at a lot of ATMs here free.  You really don't need an RP bank account if you don't want one.

7.  I don't know much about SS but I would wait until I had an address here.  Your hubby should join the RAO here and that gives him access to FPO and I would use that for a mailing address as it's much more secure.

8.  When you get here you'll go to TriCare Pacific.  You'll pay for care up front and then file a claim.

9.Yes.

10.  I don't think airport security will care about BP meds unless he's bringing enough for several people and looks like he's planning to open his own pharmacy.  If your hubby is on service connected disability he needs to contact the Manla VA and get set up with them.  He'll get his BP meds there if they have them.

11.  ???  Depends on what kind of Dr. etc.  Others probably have better info than I.

12.  Tricare's a bit of a problem.  They're doing their best to get out of paying claims in the RP.  In Cebu I think CDUH and Ching Hua are ok to use for Tricare but that changes.  Manila is on a whole different program I wouldn't touch with a ten foot pole.     

13.  No need to inform the DMV.  They would know what to do about it.  You DLs are good here for 90 days.  During that time you need to convert them to RP DLs if you want to drive.  Some expats are afraid to drive here so you may want to find out if you really want one.  If you return to the US before your DL expires you may want to keep it current but weigh the cost.  I renewed mine once to avoid having to take the tests over again, but never used it.

14.  Sounds good.  Will you have a car in storage though?  You can switch it to storage insurance which is pretty cheap.

15.  When you go back to get your DLs you'll probably have to do the full tests but that's it.  Your car insurance will probably be cheaper as you'll have clean records, if there's anything on them now.

Headshot

Fair enough Lee on the Passport. I had heard they needed proof of Philippine citizenship. It is amazing that they will accept a US legal document as proof of Philippine citizenship.

If Delta gives you a hassle on the BB stamp rules, then Delta probably isn't a good airline to fly to the Philippines (if you will be getting a BB stamp). Of course, you could buy a fully-refundable onward ticket to Hong Kong, and then cancel it after you are in the Philippines to get your money back. I certainly wouldn't just hold the ticket. However, I haven't heard of other airlines having the same problems with the BB stamp program.

I've been here in the Philippines for five years. The first several months were on tourist visas, the next year was on a probational 13A, and since then on a permanent 13A. It would have been cheaper for me to have just gone the BB stamp route, and it would have also cut out all of the BI bureaucracy crap. If they are going for a 13A at some point, getting it while still in the US makes sense, but they still have to do the BI bullshit once they arrive. The only thing applying for the 13A in the US buys you is that you don't have the one-year probation period. Indeed, a 13A is a cheaper route than using tourist visas (which also force you to leave the country periodically in addition to more fees), but even 13A visas have fees, expenses and annual reports at BI.

• Like 1
NOSOCALPINOY
Since I'm ineligable for dual citizenship, I've been doing the BB Program since 1998, but I'm getting tired of leaving the country every year to get a BB stamp upon return each time and also doing the 9a tourist visa extensions every 6 months up to an additional 24 month stay when my BB stamp is about to expire.

I'm seriously thinking about getting my Special SRRV while on our vacation next month in N. Calif to start the ball rolling via the Philippine Retirement Authority (PRA) for ex-military members, since the deposit is for only $1,500 and I can stay in the Philippines indefinite. Why the SRRV? They will assist in the processing of all of my paperwork, if that's a good reason as any and if I recall correctly there isn't a one year probationary period like the 13a if done here in the Philippines. 

I know of one other expat who lives nearby and we personally had a meetup and he has already gone through the process without too much of a hassle. That is my plan anyway while on vacation in the U.S. next month for as long it takes to get all of my documents and physical in order and do other things while I'm at it.

BTW from my OP, dual citizens and the two passport rule is pretty much cut and dry according to the MANILA, March 25, 2014 - Bureau of Immigration Commissioner Siegfred B. Mison's Operations Order NO. SBM-2014-015, that covers the rules and guidelines for the immigration processing of arriving and departing passengers who retained or re-acquired Philippine citizenship under Republic Act no. 9225.      

Edited by NOSOCALPINOY

Not true my friend, my wife only shows her US passport which shows she was born in the Philippines and we get the bb stamp every year upon entry. The law also says a copy of marriage license but we have never been asked for it in all these years but there can always be a first time. As long as they plan on leaving each year then there is no reason to show the PHL passport but if she plans on staying, then yes she should show her PHL passport so she does not have to deal with the BI at all.

As for one way tickets, it is going to depend on the airline, PAL seems to be okay with that but Delta always refuses me a boarding pass until I show them a copy of the BB law and even with that they insist on a exit ticket, which is not a problem for me since I always have a return ticket. I would suggest an onward throw away or a open return ticket if the op plans a return trip.

If the op plans on staying then it might be better for them to apply for a 13a before leaving, it is said to be permanent when gotten outside the PHL but temporary when applied for inside the PHL and either way it will require an FBI background check, so easier and probably better to do it and send it off to the PHL Embassy closest to them for validating before leaving. 

Lee, This has also been our experience . My wife and I have been traveling back and forth since 1993 and my wife only shows her U.S. passport, which of course shows she was born in the Philippines, and both of us have always been given the Balikbayan stamp, no questions asked. We have never been asked for a copy of our marriage licence. Of course, we could always be surprised. :)

• Like 1

Thank you all so much for all the information you've shared. You guys rock! But my oh my, I should have registered here earlier to get well prepared. I am just so overwhelmed now. All the while I thought, there's only little things needed to be done before leaving for the Philippines but I feel like we are just not ready for this now. lol

Anyway, as much as I want to quote the responses here that I want more info, I do not know how so I will just write long post again :D

1. Still get one way ticket for both. And cheap onward ticket for hubby just in case.

2. I am DUAL Citizen. To just show my Philippine PP,keep marriage certificate on hand, BI letter about BB to be sure.

3. ACR not needed but will do SSRN?

4. Exit Philippines before one year is up TOGETHER for him to get another BB stamp.

5. Banking with Wellsfargo now and keeping it .We will just wire transfer monthly how much we need.

*Remitly is also no fee if you use their basic transfer. You get the money within 3-5 business days. But if you want instant, it's $3.99 for up to $3000. This is how I send my folks their monthly allowance.

*USAA bank,we do not but if we open one, we can withdraw at HSBC for free?

6. Social Security: Will update them once in the Philippines. Maybe online (since we can access his SS info online) or go to the Embassy for that?

7. DEERS. My Military ID is up for renewal soon so we'll just go to the Base and get it renewed before coming there. And update our address online once we get there.

8. Philhealth. What's the advantage of having separate membership? Or is it better to just be in both policy?

9. Prescription. Asks doc for 6 months or better yet 12 months refills, get it at any Philippine pharmacy.

*How to go about getting Express Script send it to him to the Philippines?

*We get his medicines at the Base Satellite pharmacy here in LAs Vegas.

10. VA. He does not have any service related disability. Can he still use the VA pharmacy to get his medicines?

11.Thank you for doctor the recommendation. I'll keep Dr.Mejia in mind. He just need any good doc for his blood pressure.

12. Auto Insurance. We have All State.We'll ask if they have insurance with no car. (Someone mentioned here about no car type of insurance)

13. What is the difference between APO and RAO? I've read RAO when in Philippines ,it gives us a US FPO address. 

14. Do we still need to maintain US address if we get APO/RAO/FPO in the Philippines?

15. Drivers License. Hubby just renewed his. Mine is not up til 2017. I may be able to renew it online. 

16. Philippine DL. Maybe, maybe not. Kinda scary knowing how my fellow filipino drives :)

17.TAX. I do our tax through TURBO tax online. And yes his Social Security retirement is taxable. I may still do it through Turbo once in the Philippines.

18.TRICARE Pacific and TRICARE Standard, difference?

Again, thank you very very much all of you for taking the time to reply and share your knowledge and experiences. 

To Headshot: Please pm me the address for RAO and thank you.

To NoSoCalPinoy,so husband can apply for 9a just before BB expire and he can stay 6 more months and then exit before 6 months is up? 18 months total?

Thank you for the help.

8. Philhealth. What's the advantage of having separate membership? Or is it better to just be in both policy?

1. The person who owns the membership has the full amount of coverage, any one else gets a lesser amount of coverage.

In other words if the membership is in your name and you get sick you get full amount of coverage but if your husband is the one that gets sick they pay less and it is limited.

2. If you have a membership and he has a membership then you would both get full advantage off of your own membership..

The price (I believe now) is 300 peso per month for a membership...so it would be about 600php for you each to have your own membership.

• Like 1
NOSOCALPINOY

To NoSoCalPinoy,so husband can apply for 9a just before BB expire and he can stay 6 more months and then exit before 6 months is up? 18 months total?

Your husband can stay an additional 24 months, extending every 6 months before his BB stamp is about to expire. (see below in red), but if you both decide to leave the country before your BB stamp is about to expire and return, you'll get another BB stamp good for a year stay over again. You're also exempt from paying the Philippine Travel Tax, but the onward ticket maybe an issue from certain airlines, because they may not be knowledge about the memorandum, just best to ask the airline what their policy is. (See copy of the memorandum below)

THE BALIKBAYAN PRIVILEGE (R.A.6768 as amended)
MEMORANDUM dated July 1, 2008 issued by Atty. Edgardo L. Mendoza, Chief, IRD

By legal definition, a Balikbayan is:

1.    A Filipino citizen who has been continuously out of the Philippines for a period of at least 1 year;
2.    A Filipino overseas worker; or
3.    A former Filipino citizen and his or her family, who had been naturalized in a foreign country and comes or returns to the Philippines.

•    The “Balikbayan Privilege” may be availed of by foreign family members of all 3 classifications provided that they travel together everytime they enter the country (MEMORANDUM dated July 1, 2008 issued by Atty. Edgardo L. Mendoza, Chief, IRD).

•    “FAMILY” shall mean the spouse and the children of the Balikbayan who are not Balikbayan in their own right traveling with the latter to the Philippines. (Section 2 (b) of R.A. no. 9174, amending R.A. 6768, entitled: “An Act Instituting a “BALIKBAYAN PROGRAM”, by providing Additional Benefits and Privileges to Balikbayan and for other purposes”).

•    Correspondingly, all Balikbayans 14 years and below and 60 years of age shall be allowed to extend their temporary visitor visa under Section 9a of the Philippine Immigration Act of 1940 as amended, for a maximum period of 6 months for every extension PROVIDED that all appropriate fees are paid. Thus, Balikbayans are allowed a maximum total stay of 2 years inclusive of all extensions. (MEMORANDUM ORDER NO. ADD – 02 – 011 dated 11 February 2002).

post-6728-0-10556800-1421468123_thumb.jpg
Edited by NOSOCALPINOY
  • Like 1
  • Administrator
Salty Dog

14 years and below and 60 years of age

I know you didn't write it, but how can someone be both 14 years and below and 60 years of age?   :unknw:

Should be "or" not "and".  :good:

• Like 1

NOSOCALPINOY, I know you said 60 years of age for 9a extension. How about over 60?

•    Correspondingly, all Balikbayans 14 years and below and 60 years of age shall be allowed to extend their temporary visitor visa under Section 9a of the Philippine Immigration Act of 1940 as amended, for a maximum period of 6 months for every extension PROVIDED that all appropriate fees are paid. Thus, Balikbayans are allowed a maximum total stay of 2 years inclusive of all extensions. (MEMORANDUM ORDER NO. ADD – 02 – 011 dated 11 February 2002).

Thank you for the information. For $13 /month for both of us, sounds great. We'll get each a membership.

1. The person who owns the membership has the full amount of coverage, any one else gets a lesser amount of coverage.

In other words if the membership is in your name and you get sick you get full amount of coverage but if your husband is the one that gets sick they pay less and it is limited.

2. If you have a membership and he has a membership then you would both get full advantage off of your own membership..

The price (I believe now) is 300 peso per month for a membership...so it would be about 600php for you each to have your own membership.

NOSOCALPINOY

NOSOCALPINOY, I know you said 60 years of age for 9a extension. How about over 60?

It's age 60 and or over. I'm 66 now and I have also gotten a 9a when I wasn't even yet 60.

I'm now on my last 4th 6 month 9a tourist visa extension when my BB stamp expired and

I will have been in the Philippines shy of 36 months all together. We plan to leave the

country to go on vacation to the U.S. next month. When we return, I should get a new BB

Stamp. My wife is a dual citizen, so she can stay in the Philippines indefinite.   

Edited by NOSOCALPINOY

Traveling from the US with my Filipino wife we used Delta airlines ( frequent flyer) every time. Was never asked for a onward ticket. If you have any problem just ask to speak with a supervisor. Some booking agents may not know the rules. I would not waste money to buy throw away ticket.