Retired Military hubby

Good day everybody! Now, here I am with my longest post since becoming a member just 2 days ago :) Don't know where to post this since questions are all over the place and I'm so sorry about this :(

First off, hubby and I have been together for almost 12 years now and we've been married almost 10 years. I've lived here for almost 10 years and we are moving back there in the Philippines, Cebu in particular, so I can go to college.  He is a Retired Military and also receiving Soc. Sec. pension. I am far from getting any pension whatsoever so only income is from Military and Soc.Sec living in Cebu.  

Now on to the questions and clarifications :)

1.)Trip to Cebu:  Both tickets will be one-way LAS-CEB plus onward ticket for hubby maybe CEB-HK..dated 6 months after arrival ? Okay or not?

2.) Upon airport arrival: Showing both our US passport, also will show my Phil. pp and ask to stamp Balikbayan on hubby's pp?

3.) What is ACR?Does he need to get it? Where to get it?

4.)Onward ticket: Will cancel, or rebook and use before his 1 year stay in the Philippines is up. If, we go outside Philippines within 1 year and arriving back will he still get BB stamp on his pp for another 1 year stay?

5.) Within the one year, do we need to go to the Embassy or BI to update for extension or not because BB is good for 1 year?

Banking:

6.) Retirements are directly deposited to our WF joint account. No Philippines bank account  but maybe will open one once we get there and use Xoom or Remitly to transfer every month. Anyone here doing the same? and any problem we may encounter in the long run?

Address change:

7.) Do we need to inform Social Security before leaving US or when in the Philippines since we do not know our address yet?

8.) TriCare insurance, do we need to go to the Base to update our DEER and inform them we are moving out of the country? Any information how to go with TRICARE insurance,please?

Medical:

9.) PhilHealth: From what I've read here, my husband can be under my Philhealth, is that correct?

10.) Husband is taking medications for blood pressure: He'll be bringing medicines enough for few months. Do we need note from doctor just in case airport security will question about it? What's the maximum quantity of medicines he's allowed to bring? Is there such a thing called international prescription that his doctor here can prescribe and he can get it there in the Philippines?

11.) Any recommendation for a really good doctor in Cebu?

12.) Any doctor/hospital in Cebu or Manila that is okay with TRICARE?

US Drivers License:

13.) Just to let it expire when in the Philippines? or do we need to inform DMV also that we will be out of the country for maybe 5 years?

14.) Auto Insurance here ,will cancel it since we will no longer be driving here. 

15.) Any repercussions when we come back to the US and have  let our DL expires, and cancel auto insurance?

Any response, tips and recommendations are greatly appreciated. I just want to make sure everything is in place before I'll take my husband out of his norm. I know he is a trooper but I love my husband to death that I want him to be living comfortably and happy in my native land. You know, a happy husband is a happy life :D

Thank you everyone. God bless you all.

• Like 3
  • Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• NOSOCALPINOY

• Mari M

• ROVER

• Salty Dog

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Good day everybody! Now, here I am with my longest post since becoming a member just 2 days ago Don't know where to post this since questions are all over the place and I'm so sorry about this   F

Just a quick correction here if she has a valid Philippine Pass port and enters as a Filipino she does not need an ACR card (she will be here as a Filipino)

Not true my friend, my wife only shows her US passport which shows she was born in the Philippines and we get the bb stamp every year upon entry. The law also says a copy of marriage license but we ha

Posted Images

I can't answer all your questions as I am military vet. but not retired military. I will do my best and you can compare with others.

1. Yes, it's fine... but you might want to check on the price of a (1 year open exit ticket) that way you can use it even 11 months later if you decide to.

2. If you have a Philippine Pass Port "do not show your U.S. pass port when YOU arrive...use only your Philippine pass port to enter the Philippines.

3. He will need an ACR once he has been here continually for 59 days. I will let someone else explain what that is, I am not good at explaining.

4. As long as you and him come into Philippines TOGETHER he is eligible for the Balikbayan privilege no matter how many times.

5. Unless they come up with new laws or re-regestering like they are doing now there should be no reason to go to BI except to get his ACR-I CARD.

6. For banking just remember IF he opens an account for direct deposit to a Philippine bank, it can not be a joint account, you will not be able to withdraw from that account. he must do it himself.

7. Yes you should put on file with social security that you are going to be out of country since it will be five years, and yes once you have an address here in Philippines you should let social security know through Manila office so that it is on file.

8. I can't answer that

9. He can be added to your policy or (the law has changed) he can now have his own policy.........so can each have your own policy.

10. If  your husband is retired military or (service connected disabled military) he can use the V.A. Clinic (I believe it's in Papanga) but for sure Luzon. If his medication is through the VA he can have it mailed to him and he can get an APO mail box (I will have to let someone else explain where and how-since I am not eligible I don't have that information handy.

A: When I Moved here in 2004 my VA Doctor gave me enough medication for six months....I brought it with me no questions asked, I didn't even have a note....But check with the Doctor to see how much medication he will give him.

B: As far as rules and how much, I have no idea if there are rules and it really depends on whoever is checking you through Immigration in Philippines (the each seem to make their own rules as they go).

11. Can't help you there depends on what kind of doctor you want.

12. Can't answer that but I have heard that Cebu Doctors will accept or they did in the past any way.

13. Just let it expire.

14. Yes.

15. The only problem you MIGHT have when you go back after 5 years (depending on the company) they may charge more since as far as they are concerned you have not driven in 5 years.

That's the best I can do....Others may have more experience and more out going so may be able to give more information but this is what I understand from reading the Laws and requirements.

• Like 1

Have him call the VA in Manila to get appointment and get in their system...they are great...number is 025503888... If 30 percent disabiled they pay travel costs...Can get meds and etc.,there...you should both go to immigration here to apply for ACR card...bring passports and marriage cert and cash...you can update address online for tricare, would use them last, best bet is VA in Manila...welcome to cebu!

• Like 1
battleborn

Mari, I let my Nevada DL expire but before it expired I got a Philippine DL.  Very easy to do, and when I travel back to the U.S. in July I will be able to drive legally with it.

• Like 1
you should both go to immigration here to apply for ACR card.

Just a quick correction here if she has a valid Philippine Pass port and enters as a Filipino she does not need an ACR card (she will be here as a Filipino)

Edited by ROVER
  • Like 2
cebulover2000

She can show her PP together with the American one if she took the citizenship oath after becoming American citizenship. If not, I agree, only show PP but be prepared to pay travel tax when exiting the Philippines next time. I never had to show onward or return tickets in my 30 visits over the last 10 years, waste of money. I have a bank account in the Philippines and my wife has authorization, why not?

• Like 1
  • Administrator
Salty Dog

DEERS can be updated online.

There is no TRICARE Prime overseas for retired members. It is TRICARE Overseas which is like TRICARE standard, but with some caveats for the Philippines. I will let the experts on here go into more detail.

He can not use the VA just because he is retired. He has to have a service connected disability. I will also let the experts expand on that as well.

Depending on which state your licensed in, you might be able to renew it online. I was able to do it for Florida.

If he gets an FPO address with the RAO Cebu, he can have medicine sent from Express Script as long as the prescription is written by a US licensed doctor.

Edited by Salty Dog
  • Like 1
to_dave007

Do you have anyone in US who you feel comfortable giving power of attorney too?  Some one who can file tax returns for you, and deal with issues at the bank or with your SS.  I think you may find some of it a bit hard to deal with from Cebu end.

I'm not American, but I seem to remember reading here at the forum about a letter that SS (or one of the similar US organizations) sends every year to confirm that the beneficiary is still alive.  Pension payments can be interrupted while they wait for a response.  Anyone think Mari will be affected by this?

My own preference is that my pension should arrive automatically in Cebu, rather than requiring some monthly action by me to bring it here.  Not sure what your income level is, but I do have a friend on a smaller pension who spends an outlandish 6%+ of their pension on various fees and expenses JUST to get his pension into his hands.  There's quite a lot more information on this elsewhere here at LinC.

I THINK (anyone wish to add notes) that the main Cebu hospitals you are likely to rely on will be Cebu Doctors and Chong Hua.  If no-one here knows if they take TRICARE it should be possible to find out.  I should think that there must be a number of other US citizens in similar situation, right here at LinC.

Mari - Not sure what your tax situation is, but you should check the IRS "residency" rules to see whether the change you want to make will leave you as resident of USA or of PI for tax purposes.  Which is better for you?  Do you still need to file USA tax return annually?

• Like 1

DEERS can be updated online.

There is no TRICARE Prime overseas for retired members. It is TRICARE Overseas which is like TRICARE standard, but with some caveats for the Philippines. I will let the experts on here go into more detail.

He can not use the VA just because he is retired. He has to have a service connected disability. I will also let the experts expand on that as well.

Depending on which state your licensed in, you might be able to renew it online. I was able to do it for Florida.

If he gets an FPO address with the RAO Cebu, he can have medicine sent from Express Script as long as the prescription is written by a US licensed doctor.

This is correct, sorry for my mistake by the way here is a link to the VA MANILA HANDBOOK 2015 it has about all the information you would need I guess in it, including who is eligible to Use the VA in Manila and much more.

http://photos.state.gov/libraries/manila/19452/pdfs/VA_2015_Handbook.pdf

• Administrator
Salty Dog

His retirement and Social Security will be taxable in the USA regardless of where he lives.

I filed all my taxes via computer from the Philippines for 5 years I was there.

I did however maintain a home of record address in the USA.

Before someone jumps in and says Social Security isn't taxable, they are wrong. At least as a blanket statement.

I am retired military and only receive half my retirement pay (ex-wife gets half). Even with only half pay, $8,000 of my Social Security was taxable for 2014 Taxes.

You only have to have income over $32K if filing joint to owe tax on at least some of your Social Security. The definition of income includes retirement pay, IRA/401K withdrawals and all interest/dividends, even non-taxable interest/dividends (which isn't included in your AGI), plus 1/2 of your Social Security.

Edited by Salty Dog
  • Like 1
NOSOCALPINOY
1.)Trip to Cebu:  Both tickets will be one-way LAS-CEB plus onward ticket for hubby maybe CEB-HK..dated 6 months after arrival ? Okay or not?

Your husband is also a balikbayan since you are his sponsor, which this memorandum also states that Balikbayans are exempt from requiring an onward ticket.

post-6728-0-24087600-1421399653_thumb.jpg

2.) Upon airport arrival: Showing both our US passport, also will show my Phil. pp and ask to stamp Balikbayan on hubby's pp? Hubby gets a BB stamp

Here are the rules and guidelines for dual citizens on using both passports:  

For Dual Citizens of the Philippines, your main concern would be that both of your passports are stamped and annotated correctly each time you reenter the Philippines. 

For those who have not yet renewed or attained their Philippine passport can use their Identification Certification letter aka an "IC" when returning/entering the Philippines. 

The 'two passport rule of thumb" 

MANILA, March 25, 2014 -- Bureau of Immigration Commissioner Siegfred B. Mison recently issued the Operations Order NO. SBM-2014-015, a statement said.

The order covers the rules and guidelines for the immigration processing of arriving and departing passengers who retained or re-acquired Philippine citizenship under Republic Act no. 9225.

Republic Act No. 9225, otherwise known as the “Citizenship and Re-acquisition Act of 2003” declares that natural-born citizens of the Philippines who become citizens of another country shall retain of re-acquire Philippine citizenship upon taking an Oath of Allegiance to the Republic of the Philippines subject to the conditions provided therein;

To be consistent with the spirit and intent of the said Act and in order to extend the full benefits to those who availed thereof, there is a need to streamline the rules and regulations implementing Republic Act No. 9225, particularly in the immigration processing at the international ports of entry and exit of passengers who retained or re-acquired Philippine Citizenship under Republic Act No. 9225

Administrative Order No. 91, Section 1, issued on 12 January 2004, designated the Bureau of Immigration as the implementing agency of the Republic Act No. 9225.

By authority of Section 2 of the same Administrative Order, the following rules and guidelines are hereby ordered:

Section 1. Proof of Retention or Re-acquisition of Philippine Citizenship

For purpose of this Operations Order, the following shall be considered as substantial proof of retention or re-acquisition of Philippine Citizenship:

1.Valid Philippine passport; or

2.Original copy of Identification Certificate issued either by the Bureau of Immigration (BI) or Foreign Service Posts of the Department of Foreign Affairs (DFA) ; or

3.Original Copy of the Certificate of Retention/ Re-acquisition of Philippine Citizenship (CRPC) issued by the BI

Section 2. Immigration Processing During Arrival

1. Upon arrival at any international port of entry in the Philippines, a passenger who retained or re-acquired Philippine citizenship under Republic Act No. 9225 shall present to the Immigration Officer during immigration primary inspection both his/ her valid foreign passport and any of the substantial proof of Philippine Citizenship enumerated in Section 1 hereof.

2. Upon determination of the validity of the presented proof of Philippine citizenship, such passenger shall be admitted for an indefinite period of authorize stay. The Immigration Officer shall affix the “Arrival” stamp on the passenger’s foreign passport and indicate in the provision for “authorized Stay” therein the presented proof Philippine citizenship as follows:

a.“PP” – for valid Philippine passport; or

b.“RA 9225”- for IC or CRPC.

Section 3. Immigration Processing During Departure

1. A passenger using a valid foreign passport who retained or re-acquired his/ her Philippine citizenship under Republic Act No. 9225 shall be cleared for departure without surrendering any certificate, permit or proof of payment imposable immigration fees upon presentment of any substantial proof Philippine citizenship enumerated in Section 1 hereof.

2. Upon determination of the validity of the presented proof of Philippine citizenship, the Immigration Officer shall affix the “departure” stamp on the passenger’s foreign passport and indicate the presented proof Philippine citizenship as follows:

c.“PP”- for valid Philippine passport; or

d.“RA 9225”- for IC or CRPC.

Section 4. Failure to present Proof of Philippine Citizenship

A Passenger using a foreign passport claiming to have retained of acquired his/ her Philippine citizenship under Republic Act. No. 9225 but fails to present any of the substantial proof of Philippine citizenship may be admitted or allowed to depart in accordance with existing and applicable rules and regulations.

Section 5. Repealing Clause

This order repeals Memorandum Order No. Mcl-08-039 dated 21 October 2008. All other issuances that are inconsistent herewith are hereby repealed and/ or modified accordingly.

3.) What is ACR?Does he need to get it? Where to get it?

Your husband as a Balikbayan will not be issued an ACR I-Card, unless his immigration staus changes to 9a, 13a or an RSSV after his BB stamp has expired

4.)Onward ticket: Will cancel, or rebook and use before his 1 year stay in the Philippines is up. If, we go outside Philippines within 1 year and arriving back will he still get BB stamp on his pp for another 1 year stay?

As I mentioned above and the memorandum, Balikbayans are exempt from requiring an onward ticket, but if in doubt, buy a cheap onward (throwaway) ticket, because some dumbass airlines don't know the rules and this memorandum! 

5.) Within the one year, do we need to go to the Embassy or BI to update for extension or not because BB is good for 1 year?

Prior to the expiration of your husband's BB stamp and wants to stay longer in the Philippines he can under the RA 6768 MEMORANDUM ORDER NO. ADD – 02 – 011 dated 11 February 2002

All Balikbayans 14 years and below and 60 years of age shall be allowed to extend their temporary visitor visa under Section 9a of the Philippine Immigration Act of 1940 as amended, for a maximum period of 6 months for every extension PROVIDED that all appropriate fees are paid. Thus, Balikbayans are allowed a maximum total stay of 2 years inclusive of all extensions.

Banking:

6.) Retirements are directly deposited to our WF joint account. No Philippines bank account  but maybe will open one once we get there and use Xoom or Remitly to transfer every month. Anyone here doing the same? and any problem we may encounter in the long run?

Open an RP local bank account, peso and USD ASAP and just deposit U.S. personal checks for deposit into your RP USD account, clearing days are from 15 to 25 days at some banks. Been doing it for 15 yrs without any issues!

I do not recommend direct deposits of any pensions here to an RP local bank. Keep your direct deposit to your pensions in your U.S. bank account. 

If you do not have a huge nest egg set aside, have at least a few high limit U.S. credit cards of at least $50,000 or more available as a cash back up safeguard just in case! 

Address change:

7.) Do we need to inform Social Security before leaving US or when in the Philippines since we do not know our address yet? Do it when you have an RP permanent address

8.) TriCare insurance, do we need to go to the Base to update our DEER and inform them we are moving out of the country? Any information how to go with TRICARE insurance,please? Just update your DEERS data on-line

Medical:

9.) PhilHealth: From what I've read here, my husband can be under my Philhealth, is that correct? Yes, just paid ours today for one year, P2,400.08 I'm over 60, so my wife is carrying me on her PhilHealth.

10.) Husband is taking medications for blood pressure: He'll be bringing medicines enough for few months. Do we need note from doctor just in case airport security will question about it? What's the maximum quantity of medicines he's allowed to bring? Is there such a thing called international prescription that his doctor here can prescribe and he can get it there in the Philippines?

Before leaving the U.S. read up on TRICARE's pharmacy procedures on how to ship your husband's meds to the Philippines.

You can also buy his meds here and file a reimbursement claim with TRICARE.

11.) Any recommendation for a really good doctor in Cebu? I don't know, we do not live in Cebu

12.) Any doctor/hospital in Cebu or Manila that is okay with TRICARE? Ditto

US Drivers License:

13.) Just to let it expire when in the Philippines? or do we need to inform DMV also that we will be out of the country for maybe 5 years?

No, unless it's renewable on-line. He can convert his U.S. to RP type

14.) Auto Insurance here ,will cancel it since we will no longer be driving here. OK

15.) Any repercussions when we come back to the US and have  let our DL expires, and cancel auto insurance? Don't know

Any response, tips and recommendations are greatly appreciated. I just want to make sure everything is in place before I'll take my husband out of his norm. I know he is a trooper but I love my husband to death that I want him to be living comfortably and happy in my native land. You know, a happy husband is a happy life :D

The Two passport Rule for Dual Citizens.rtf

Edited by NOSOCALPINOY
  • Administrator
Salty Dog

Art, wasn't there some discussion about this applying to even those with a BB stamp.

post-8417-0-23402200-1420590653.jpg

• Admin (Retired)
Aerosick

US Drivers License:

You'll need to check the DMV Rules for the State you live in. I am in CA and here are some of their rules for on-line renewal:

Can't do this when you are over 70 years old.

You can renew your CA drivers license online if:

• You are not changing your address.
  • Your Social Security number (SSN) is on file with the California DMV.

You’ll need a credit/debit card or your bank account information to pay the $34 renewal fee for non-commercial Class A and B and $33 for Class C .

Out-of-State CA Residents

If you will be out of state when your California driver’s license expires, you can request a extension for 1 year for free.

Before your CA driver’s license expires, write a letter requesting the extension and include your:

• Full name.
  • CA driver license number.
  • Date of birth.
  • California address.
  • Out-of-state address.

Send the letter to:

Department of Motor Vehicles
P.O. Box 942890
Sacramento, CA 94290

• Like 1
Headshot

1. Provided you have a valid Philippine passport in addition to your US passport, then your husband will be qualified for a Balikbayan stamp, which is good for one year. With a BB stamp, he doesn't need an ACR-I card or any annual reporting because he is exempted by law. He also doesn't need to visit the Bureau of Immigration during that year. Just get the one-way ticket to Cebu and bring a certified copy of your marriage license along with a copy of the letter shown in an earlier post. At least one day before the expiration date of the BB stamp, both of you need to go to Hong Kong or another close country, and return (together) to the Philippines to get another BB stamp...or you need to visit BI during that year to apply for a 13A (permanent resident) visa. Personally, if I had it to do over again, I would just do the BB stamp route and leave the country once a year.

2. There is nothing wrong with also showing your US passport when you arrive, but you MUST show your Philippine passport.

3. Don't worry about the ACR-I card. with a BB stamp, he doesn't need one. It is just money out and a hassle that isn't required if you have a BB stamp.

4. Don't worry about the onward ticket. Just book the round-trip (for both of you) for the BB stamp early, so you can get a good deal on airfare. Keep an eye on the Cebu Pacific one peso sales and move quick on them. Don't forget to take the marriage license and Immigration letter with you.

5. With a BB stamp, he doesn't need to go anywhere during that year.

6. I have my pension and SSA checks deposited in our credit union account in the US, and then just email them each month to wire me however much I need. That way, my surplus saving are always safe in a US account. You never know what will happen in a Philippine bank. Several have gone belly-up since I have been living here.

7. Join RAO (for US military retirees only) immediately when you get here. It gives you a US FPO address, so your important mail won't be misplaced by PhilPost. If you are interested, I will PM you the address, so you can do any address changes you need just before you leave the US. It is by far the best way to get your mail. RAO dues are about $25 a year. It also makes it so you don't have to do change of addresses if you move again (to a different address in the Cebu area) after you are here.

8. Tricare doesn't work very well here. You have to pay upfront, and then send in your paperwork and receipts hoping to get a reimbursement.

9. Yes, he can be under your account.

10. Have him bring new prescriptions for his meds with 12 refills on the prescription. That will take care of any problems with Customs. The pharmacies aren't all that strict on prescriptions (and often don't even require them), but they will accept any prescription, regardless of where it was written.

11. I would recommend my doctor, Dr. Jose Albert Mejia. His specialties are internal medicine and cardiology. He works out of both Chong Hua and Cebu Doctors Hospital. He is Tricare approved.

12. Chong Hua is the best hospital in Cebu that is accepted by Tricare. Again, you have to pay upfront and apply for reimbursement for any medical care.

13. Your US drivers license is good for 90 days in the Philippines. Then, you need to go to LTO and get a Philippine drivers license. It is a fairly simple process since you already have a drivers license from another country.

14. If he has USAA insurance in the US, I would advise that rather than canceling the insurance, get it changed to an out-of country / no vehicle policy. It costs $24 a year, and you have insurance for rentals or borrowed vehicles anytime you visit the US. It also keeps the USAA savings account alive, which will continue to pay dividends. You will need to get car insurance here if you plan to own your own car.

15. Your Philippine drivers license is good in the US for 90 days in most states. Then again, get your US drivers licenses renewed just before you move, and they may still be good when you return to the US. Of course, to keep your US license current, you will need to keep a permanent residence in the US. Dropping your US car insurance will impact you if you ever rent a car in the US while on vacation because you will have to take the rental company's insurance waiver (which will just about double the cost of the rental). Of course, if you move back and buy a car in the US in the future,

• Like 1