He means 2 hrs by jet pack

Edited by newbster
  • Like 1

Jester

90 miles to the city line... :dance:

Oh,now I see.  90 miles to the city line and then 2 hours to LAX

Aerosick

Oh,now I see.  90 miles to the city line and then 2 hours to LAX

20~30 minutes in to LAX if driving there all the way. Same time for the Flyaway bus ride.

broden

reminds me of something Radar said on mash once.. something like a drive somewhere took an hour in his uncle e'd old studebaker or 10 minutes on foot

• Like 1

Jester

I was only in LA for a brief time.  Every memory I have is of sitting in bumper to bumper traffic.  Whiner

colemanlee

Florida's Emerald Coast (Redneck Rivera) Perdido Key to Panama City Beach.

Pensacola, Ft. Walton, Destin, Panama City Beach.

I'm biased towards Ft Walton.

Great Beaches, reasonable Real Estate, summer weather May-September, mild winters...

Ain't for everybody...

attachicon.gifBeach10 099.jpg

I spent five years in Pensacola/Lilian Al area...beautiful area and the speckle trout and red fishing is amazing

• Like 1

ROCO22

I spent five years in Pensacola/Lilian Al area...beautiful area and the speckle trout and red fishing is amazing

Good chance you had a brew or tossed a Mullet at this joint...

post-678-0-92366000-1421284912_thumb.jpg

sugbu777

And the roads in Mich are actually worse than Cebu.

I read a while back that for retirees, Arkansas is one of the best states financially.  I'd like the rural nature of the place also.  

I kick myself that I didn't buy land in northern Arkansas (Mountain Home area) years ago. A shipmate friend of mine while I was in the Navy was from that area and was trying to get me to buy ther. This was in the early 1980's. Beautiful acreage was running about $25.00 per acre. The other place I regret not buying was in Seaside, Oregon back in the late 1970's. Could have gotten a townhome there 2 blocks from beach for $13,000.00. I was too young and was partying my butt off back then to think of the future.

colemanlee

Good chance you had a brew or tossed a Mullet at this joint...

attachicon.gifFloraBama.jpg

Real good chance, actually last I heard, my x wife was either a bartender or barmaid there LOL

sugbu777

Henderson is where I have my condo, but it gets HOT in the summertime. I don't mind it though. They have reasonable schools, very good grocery stores and great access to the Vegas airport.

I can't recommend living in Hawaii if you have kids as most of the schools are below par, plus it's also EXPENSIVE with the average home (shack) price over $800,000 with a lot barely bigger than the house.

My youngest daughter lives in Henderson. She is very happy there in southern Nevada. We all lived in Fallon, NV when our kids were smaller. I really liked northern Nevada.

• Like 1

shadow

Oregon could be a good place if one does not need to rely on the local economy to survive. For most retirees it is a good bet, but for someone still working maybe not so much. Very poor economy, many counties still near 10% unemployment, which is misleading, because it doesn't count the thousands that gave up looking for work. Many towns and a few counties are now without police presence, makes for not so nice environments, high crime rates. My home stomping grounds of Siletz last year had 4 fatal stabbings, unrelated, in a town with only 1200 people. Josephine county in Southwest Oregon now has only 6 deputies to cover 1600 square miles, and has released almost all prisoners from the jails due to no budget!

You may want to consider relocating to an area with adequate law enforcement services,” the department cautioned the county’s 80,000 or so residents last year.

Although a Wild West-like scenario has spiraled out of control in the Pacific Northwest, residents voted against a measure Tuesday that would have funded much-needed law enforcement operations at the cost of only a 3 percent tax levy."

http://rt.com/usa/oregon-rape-josephine-county-647/

Other areas are not far removed. Many of the coastal communities have been suffering for years, with fishing and logging being heavily restricted, lots of homelessness and drug communities dominate. The Layer of beauty on the top masks some pretty serious problems underneath.

So just as in the Philippines, you would want to choose your area very carefully.

TheMatrix

I just posted this in another thread, but it probably applies more in this one:

I keep residences in three States purposely:

No income tax in Nevada:  So all my income is made there.  

No sales tax in Oregon:  So I buy all my things there.... Vehicles, tractors, RV's, boats, Amazon daily, etc. Auto Insurance is only $40/mth full coverage.

And Arizona is very Corporate friendly (for my businesses) AND retirement friendly (for everything else)   :thumbsup:

There's a method to my madness.

• Like 1

TheMatrix

Oregon could be a good place if one does not need to rely on the local economy to survive. For most retirees it is a good bet, but for someone still working maybe not so much. Very poor economy, many counties still near 10% unemployment, which is misleading, because it doesn't count the thousands that gave up looking for work. Many towns and a few counties are now without police presence, makes for not so nice environments, high crime rates. My home stomping grounds of Siletz last year had 4 fatal stabbings, unrelated, in a town with only 1200 people. Josephine county in Southwest Oregon now has only 6 deputies to cover 1600 square miles, and has released almost all prisoners from the jails due to no budget!

You may want to consider relocating to an area with adequate law enforcement services,” the department cautioned the county’s 80,000 or so residents last year.

Although a Wild West-like scenario has spiraled out of control in the Pacific Northwest, residents voted against a measure Tuesday that would have funded much-needed law enforcement operations at the cost of only a 3 percent tax levy."

http://rt.com/usa/oregon-rape-josephine-county-647/

Other areas are not far removed. Many of the coastal communities have been suffering for years, with fishing and logging being heavily restricted, lots of homelessness and drug communities dominate. The Layer of beauty on the top masks some pretty serious problems underneath.

So just as in the Philippines, you would want to choose your area very carefully.

I don't see this in Oregon Larry.  Yes, my county (Polk) only has one sheriff, but I love that.  Coming from Vegas where I saw cops every turn I make, it is refreshing to see a non-police state where I live.  I also know of no crime.  The City of Monmouth has its own police force... seems rich to me with their new vehicles, but maybe its because of the University.  As far as local economy, I see help wanted signs everywhere and all the kids are working.  I know no one seeking work.  I see truck driver jobs opening signs everywhere I turn it seems.  I know this is before my Oregon time, and understand the logging industry took a big hit because of the environuts protecting the spotted owl.  But, that was 30 years ago, right?  Seems like most have recovered.  I do however, see lots of logging trucks going down the road with big trees on them.  I think the industry is still alive.  

My youngest daughter lives in Henderson. She is very happy there in southern Nevada. We all lived in Fallon, NV when our kids were smaller. I really liked northern Nevada.

NYC real estate for 2014 hit record levels. It is now 19% higher than the peak pre-recession. Rents will continue to skyrocket. What an expensive place to live. I bet the average 1-bedroom apartment will soon be $3,500/month.... and that's a small crappy place.  Big city life is expensive!

I still like Las Vegas where you can get 0.50 q/ft, $1.99 gas/gal, 0% state tax and the best entertainment and restaurants in the world and much better weather.

Edited by TheMatrix

cvgtpc1

Im in the Florida Keys now  - beautiful here - but housing is too expensive  - and if you dont love the ocean  not so much to do.    I think ill look near Oak Hill or Titusville, Florida areas - the space coast for my retirement place.   Cheaper housing   - Near the Atlantic surf and lots of inland waters too.  Gardening and Fishing are pretty much what i do for fun.   Not far from Orlando - If i cant find it there in terms of health care and shopping you cant find it anywhere,   

Only spent a weekend in Titusville but really liked it.  Cocoa Beach is fun.

TheMatrix

Im in the Florida Keys now  - beautiful here - but housing is too expensive  - and if you dont love the ocean  not so much to do.    I think ill look near Oak Hill or Titusville, Florida areas - the space coast for my retirement place.   Cheaper housing   - Near the Atlantic surf and lots of inland waters too.  Gardening and Fishing are pretty much what i do for fun.   Not far from Orlando - If i cant find it there in terms of health care and shopping you cant find it anywhere,   

I'm in the planning stages now of taking the family across America now in the RV.  We'll be traveling from Oregon, down to Vegas and then Phoenix, across the country to the Florida Keys, and up the East Coast to Maine, back home through the midwest through Chicago, Denver, Idaho and Oregon.

Expensive is an understatement... does anyone realize how much campgrounds charge now for overnight camping of your RV?  The cheapest are like $40, and up to $100 (and over) per night.  Damn!  It would be cheaper to stay in hotels!

Prices are insane!