Sign in to follow this  
HTM

Seminar on some laws and the legal system in the Philippines.

PNP Seminar  

21 members have voted

1. 1. Would you attend a seminar like this if you could?

• Yes!
    • No!

Ozbrum

I can almost guarantee that Medical and insurances or Land and building will NOT be included. :cool:

I was referring to the law relating to these subjects,  

Lee

This must be decided and approved by the regional commander, but I will suggest this. (But there will eventually be a fee for such a card)

:thumbsup: That is why I said voluntary, we know how cheap some expats can be. :ROFLMAO: I would have no problem paying for such a card or even for the class but I do understand how many others might not wish to and especially those on a shoe string budget. I would be happy to donate either way if it would bring about a better understanding between the powers that be and the expat community. 

• Like 2

HTM

I was referring to the law relating to these subjects,  

Me2!  :stick_poke:

I think this will require two seminars alone.

Mikala

This must be decided and approved by the regional commander, but I will suggest this. (But there will eventually be a fee for such a card)

I wouldn't mind paying a fee for the seminar to help cover the costs of renting the room, along with any other additional items needed. Perhaps make it a voluntary donation?

• Like 2

contraman

It appears that some here are wanting to be told what they want to hear,

Me, I would like the agenda to be set by the PNP.

It would be interesting to see how they perceive foreigners are how they think

The laws are applied.

Now that would be interesting

• Like 2

Sven

I do not want anyone to make money on this, not advertising and private practice lawyers and similar to snatch customers if possible.

Why not? If you could get, for example, a lawyer to hold a presentation about a useful topic, this would also be a good way for the same person to get known among expats... which might be good for their business in future. A win-win situation I would think...

Davaoeno

Why not? If you could get, for example, a lawyer to hold a presentation about a useful topic, this would also be a good way for the same person to get known among expats... which might be good for their business in future. A win-win situation I would think...

If I were Harry I would be very careful about doing that.  If the attorney turns out to be untrustworthy or rips the clients off then it reflects badly on Harry because by letting the attorney be there is is as though Harry were endorsing his services. 

But if it was someone known to be reputable and trustworthy  then I wouldnt discount it .

Just remember- here often the short game is much preferred over the long game ie if they can make fast money off of you they dont always care about treating you right because they dont always give a shit if you ever come back or not .  Not unless you are someone that they consider important. 

HTM

If I were Harry I would be very careful about doing that. If the attorney turns out to be untrustworthy or rips the clients off then it reflects badly on Harry because by letting the attorney be there is is as though Harry were endorsing his services.

These are my thoughts too!

to_dave007

For me I'd be interested in the laws around small disputes and nuisances, and understanding when issues are handled at the Barangay level, and when/how they escalate to next level, whatever that is.

Edited by to_dave007

Semper paratus

I'd like to know why current laws are not enforced such as this law against loose dogs and dog related issues.

http://www.chanrobles.com/republicacts/republicactno9482.html#.VLhXIlYfr3g

There is also a no trash burning law.

Most laws here are toothless, such as no drivers license, no current stickers/plates, no insurance. Driving on the wrong side of the road, no lights at night, illegal turns,  obstructing traffic, need I go on ?

Having laws and knowing the law are one thing, but without enforcement what's the point ?

• Like 1

Jawny

I'd like to know why current laws are not enforced such as this law against loose dogs and dog related issues.

http://www.chanrobles.com/republicacts/republicactno9482.html#.VLhXIlYfr3g

There is also a no trash burning law.

Most laws here are toothless, such as no drivers license, no current stickers/plates, no insurance. Driving on the wrong side of the road, no lights at night, illegal turns,  obstructing traffic, need I go on ?

Having laws and knowing the law are one thing, but without enforcement what's the point ?

Your comments suggest to me the nature of what a seminar for expats should be. It should be focused in the issues involving expats, their rights, responsiblities, privileges and things laws and rules which effect their lives directly.

I'm not suggesting the issue of enforcement of existing laws is unimportant. Quite the contrary. I would hope that a seminar would explain just how it is that there are so many inconsistencies in enforcement. However, it would be pretty difficult to provide much more than a generic answer.

Some locations such as subdivisions in wealthier communities may very well enforce the "loose dog" laws and open burning. I know in my area there is no enforcement of this sort of law. In spite of serious respiratory health issues in our area and several deaths from dog bite rabies there is no enforcement at all.

It does help to know which laws to be concerned with, as a foreigner.

I'll give an example of what I consider to be lack of enforcement but based upon practicality. We were wanting to secure a weapon at the local PNP while we processed an expired gun permit. So, we wanted to take the weapon to the PNP, but lacked a permit. We could have paid a local gun shop to come and transport the weapon. Rather than have that expense, we asked the PNP staff would we be allowed to transport the gun to the PNP? They had a question first. "Do you have a car?" Yes, so they said "Its okay to transport it here so long as you don't get stopped".

I took that as a "yes" and brought the weapon (it was actually already in the car when we asked).

Of course, it is illegal. Just don't get caught.

People burn trash here because they beleive it rids the community of mosquitoes and they have no trash pickup. None. Can't even transport it to the next community for disposal. So, burning is a reasonable alternative.

As to the dogs, for many in our area, they are simply lunch with a tail. So, let them run free so I can have a snack when I want.