Sign in to follow this  
HTM

Seminar on some laws and the legal system in the Philippines.

PNP Seminar  

21 members have voted

1. 1. Would you attend a seminar like this if you could?

• Yes!
    • No!

HTM

We plan a seminar this year for foreigners who want to know a little more about the legal system here.

Some proposed topic:
Your meeting with the police.
Your rights.
PNP,NBI,BI, Barangay tanod, CITOM. The different functions and authority
The judicial process
The Barangay Justice System/Katarungang Pambarangay.
Barangay/Police Blotter
Complaint about a public official.
The Ombudsman of the Philippines
File a Case in the Philippines
Children's rights
Family law
What is VAW.
Bail

I like some feedback, is this interesting for you?
What else should a seminar like this include?

Everything is completely in the planning stage, but we hope we can have the first seminar in the fall this year.
The plan is that this will be free for those who wish to attend the seminar.

BTW, We= some in PNP and me.

• Like 4

Woolf

I like some feedback, is this interesting for you?

would be interesting for me and would like to join, but will have to be after early oct, when I return here

I am going back to DK end of mar

• Like 1

Jawny

I would not attend, but think the seminar is a nice idea.

I hope the source people for these topics are actually informed and able to communicate. My wife will attend seminars of this type in our barangay and always walks away frustrated by the information which is provided. The speakers come from various agencies and give the latest clear explanations about the laws and programs affecting the community. Then, when they leave, nothing really changes since the laws and programs just don't get applied as the speaker says.

The list is pretty extensive. Might be easier to have one seminar with just a few of the topics and see how the turn out is. If the interest continues, then expand to the other topics in a future seminar.

I've had personal experience with several of these processes and would have appreciated knowing in advance what I could expect before the process began.

Good luck with this. Hope it happens and some sort of record is retained for reference for others.

• Like 2

HTM

The list is pretty extensive. Might be easier to have one seminar with just a few of the topics and see how the turn out is. If the interest continues, then expand to the other topics in a future seminar.

Thanks for a good and serious response, we see the problems that you have pointed out here.There will also be information folders based on the content of the seminar for those who join.

My experience is that many do not really know how these things work and therefore can some general information can be useful, with depth explanation of important areas for foreigners.

Example, not all countries have things like bail and therefore not quite know how such works, 3 minute explanation is adequate if you also has written information.

• Like 1

Wolfpack

I think the marriage process would be helpful...

I have done it...helped people do it...and some how, I still do not completely understand it (cause if the rules are not changing from time to time, it sure seems like it does)

• Like 3

hyaku

Count me in. I have run foul a few times because I was not aware of how to deal witha situation. Learned a lot but I'm always wanting to learn more if possible. But then again I'm not in the least bit interested in meeting PNP. They are part and parcel of the problem of knowing your rights when they continually screw up.

Edited by hyaku

Woolf

BTW, We= some in PNP and me.

I think the marriage process would be helpful...

I have done it...helped people do it...and some how, I still do not completely understand it (cause if the rules are not changing from time to time, it sure seems like it does)

How is PNP involved in the marriage process   ????

Mikala

I'd be interested in attending such a seminar (if I'm in-country). I doubt most of it pertains to me, but always interested in being well-informed!

• Like 1

HTM

LOL

Someone must have primary responsibility.

We want to get people from other fields too. (NSO, DSWD, lawyers etc.)

ex231

I think it's a great idea but I'm not sure if I could make the trip.

As this develops an outline of topics as was mentioned would be helpful.

ROVER

The plan is that this will be free for those who wish to attend the seminar.

I would if I can get there and is wheelchair accessible...I would really enjoy something like that. How long do you suppose a seminar would be? I have to worry about that.

HTM

I would if I can get there and is wheelchair accessible...I would really enjoy something like that. How long do you suppose a seminar would be? I have to worry about that.

Yes it be wheelchair friendly.

It is too early to estimate how long such a seminar will be.

• Like 1

Jawny

I'd like to offer a further suggestion to make the process more useful for the individuals who attend. I'd keep the topics on a very generic level.

Your mention of bail is a good example.

It would be very easy to get into the weeds on any one topic, such as what happens if a foreigner is apprehended. There will be the war stories and "I know a guy" stories that will end up being entertaining, but not necessarily useful.

Another example is for an explanation of the barangay justice process (my term, not the official one). What I am referring to is how a local dispute within the barangay is processed. There are quite specific rules used which involve a process of attempting to come to a resolution at the lowest level possible. This is not just cultural, it is prescribed by statute (as I have been informed). I have had a couple of instances of these involving neighbors. One of them ended up with the nearby city police and then in a civil court. It was necessary that it began at the lowest level.

Furthermore, civil disputes will usually end up in mediation. This is also a basic process the court will follow as part of pretriwl processes. Both parties are expected to participate in a mediation effort. If that fails, then the civil court process begins. I have been through that and saw that it works effectively (although can end up costing more than expected for legal fees and such).

Marriage as a topic is an excellent one. Many foreigners come from countries where divorce is not only permitted, it is practically encouraged to end a marriage that is failed. The annulment process is slow going, cumbersome and expensive. The concept here, as stated in law, is to attempt to preserve the marriage. Some members may want to know about that as they find themselves in a situation where they want to pursue a marriage with someone who has not ended the first marriage.

As well, there seems to always be a lot of back and forth with members about whether their foreign divorce will meet the standards here and how to process documents related to that.

I'd just stay away from detailed examples of cases where justice may end up being served, but in a way that is not really the way it is supposed to.

Traffic accidents are also a topic of interest and it is pretty much a given that the comments from members will be, "the foreigner alwasy pays". Perhaps some legal expert can explain why this is typically the case.

• Like 5

Wolfpack

if I recall correctly, they did some type of clearance...

SkyMan

I voted yes as I would be interested but I have to admit, probably not interested enough for a drive into Cebu which is where I imagine you'd have it.  But I would download a video of it.  If it could be videoed and the topics uploaded here on LinC or to YouTube, that'd be awesome.  There should be as many attendees as possible though for good questions.

• Like 5