What I Really Worry About Living in the Phils (Mindanao)

rainymike

Sometimes we are so obsessed with the headlines that we overlook the most obvious threats to ourselves and our families.

Since I'm an older gent with young kids, these represent some of the more serious threats to life that I focus on:

1. Top 10 Leading Causes of Death in the Philippines:

http://www.doh.gov.ph/node/198.html

Heart attack, stroke, cancer - the top 3. I tend to watch my diet and keep on medications to control these. 

Accidents - #5. I am really wary of traffic and wary of accidents in the home.

Diabetes - #8. Like many pinoys, I have type 2 diabetes. Managed with diet and meds.

These are my major health concerns given my medical and family history. They really really do take more lives than insane terrorists, drive by shooters on bikes, black widow wives, and jealous boyfriends.

With several kids in tow, I also pay attention to the following: 

2. Top 10 Leading Causes of Child Mortality

http://www.doh.gov.ph/kp/statistics/child_mortality.html

pneumonia/diarrhea - the top 2. Preventable with better sanitation. Have to be on your guard because other people they come into contact with may not be.

accidental drowning - #6. Despite living on islands, a lot of people don't know how to swim. No guarantee that any teacher or supervising adult can swim if taking the kids to the pool or beach.

dengue - #7: Lots of mosquitoes here. Always battling them.

I could worry about stuff that takes a smaller number of lives and which occurs pretty randomly. But I think survival in the Philippines is about managing the mundane stuff and the real probabilities of life and death. Not the headlines. Not our cultural paranoias. 

• Like 6
For Real

Mate you are in one of the best places on earth regarding access to nutrition. Green cruciferous vegetables by 7 cups / day are cheap as chips and far better for your T2D. It's important to plan as heart attacks and strokes etc have no where near the survival rate you might be used to. Oxygen bottles (or even oxygen concentrators) are not seen functioning outside hospitals so it might be handy to aquire one.

Dengue deaths are attributed to a) late diagnosis and b) no access to medicines (the clowns who are anti Pharma die of stupidity more so than dengue).

Sounds like you have your head screwed on.

Best wishes

• Like 3

This is a very good topic. My wife and i are always aware of the dangers here. Not anything to really worry about but we are always alert to the different possibilities of getting sick or meeting in accidents etc. We do practice good hygiene and take precautions to prevent any problems.

We do pay attention to our diet and the diet of our child. I routinely walk around the yard and inspect for any standing water which mosquitos breeds in. Routinely spray the house and surrounding where mosquito breeds. We install wire mesh screens on all our windows and add extra storm doors with screens. Keep out the flies. Hate flies. Constantly wash or hands. Make sure our vegetable and fruits are thoroughly wash before cooking and eating. We both drive but when we go out of town we hire a good competent driver to drive for us. At one time when we first got here my wife brother drove for us. Had to be the worst driver i knew. Guy would hold a conversation on his cell phone  and text while driving. Plus pick fights with other drivers on the road. Something like a road bully. Had to get rid of him fast. 

So far we are settling into a good routine and we hope it stays this way. We have no health issues, knock on wood.

• Like 1
steveanton777

Green cruciferous vegetables by 7 cups / day are cheap as chips and far better for your T2D. 

Agrred! Everyone should at least try "Green Juicing" for health as it is so cheap to do there.

This very entertaining movie/documentary about juicing changed my life;  Fat, Sick and Nearly Dead...

I since have lost 50 lbs and no more meds!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3mS0YA465ts

• Like 5
For Real

Agrred! Everyone should at least try "Green Juicing" for health as it is so cheap to do there.

This very entertaining movie/documentary about juicing changed my life;  Fat, Sick and Nearly Dead...

I since have lost 50 lbs and no more meds

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3mS0YA465ts

Congrats mate. May I ask how old you are and how much exercise do you do?
rainymike

Mate you are in one of the best places on earth regarding access to nutrition. Green cruciferous vegetables by 7 cups / day are cheap as chips and far better for your T2D. It's important to plan as heart attacks and strokes etc have no where near the survival rate you might be used to. Oxygen bottles (or even oxygen concentrators) are not seen functioning outside hospitals so it might be handy to aquire one.

Dengue deaths are attributed to a) late diagnosis and b) no access to medicines (the clowns who are anti Pharma die of stupidity more so than dengue).

Sounds like you have your head screwed on.

Best wishes

When I was solo, managing diet and exercise was a lot easier. Now that I have a full family and put on a few years here, the diet route hasn't been enough for me. Kids want Jollibee on occasion, and I indulge to a degree. But we still try to maintain a good diet. LOL ... but the kids bring out the crucifix if I put green stuff on the table. Constant battle.

But I think with age, diet and exercise are still the way to go. But my body needs some additional help. And I've adjusted to taking proper meds for certain conditions. My parents did that as well and lived to a ripe old age. So although I am still wary about doctors prescribing meds, I try to do my research and after try out alternatives, do go that route.

My mom by the way, was a regular with watercress juice and swore by it. But I have to admit even I have a hard time getting that one down.

steveanton777

Congrats mate. May I ask how old you are and how much exercise do you do?

46 and i guess i went through the "midlife crisis thing"... Joined a gym and started going 3 times a week with 15 minutes on treadmill before workout. I have been doing this for a year now and my bicepts are bigger then when i palyed footbal in HS. There is a sauna as well so i always end with a 15 minte sweet.  

It all started when I noticed my man-boobs were begining to sag... :hyper:

Diet WITH exercises was the key to sucsess for me!!!

• Like 1