DO NOT eat the shellfish!

shadow

Now you tell me!

It's been raining all month, and I've been eating shellfish almost daily.  

Not sick yet, and hope I don't have Hep A..  

I'll cut back and stick to the coconuts.  I'm scared now.

Absolutely no worries at all. Bring on the raw oysters. January has an "R" in it, and Hep A only lasts a lifetime.

;)

Edited by shadow
  • Like 1
  • Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• shadow

• Headshot

• hyaku

• TheMatrix

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Every year I run into someone who has "yellow fever", that is, Hepatitis A. They nearly always get this from eating the shellfish after it has been raining a lot. I personally know TWO people recoveri

Once a month at my house

My commander in Korea got Hep A from eating prawns at a governor's reception. It almost killed him. Any creature in the ocean (or in fresh water) that filter feeds can carry Hep A that you can catch i

Headshot

My commander in Korea got Hep A from eating prawns at a governor's reception. It almost killed him. Any creature in the ocean (or in fresh water) that filter feeds can carry Hep A that you can catch if you eat them. That includes all shellfish and almost all crustaceans (prawns, shrimp, crabs, etc.). Fish (including most of the reef fish that you see in the markets) that pick and eat algae from the coral and rocks can be infected as well. If a fish has a beak, then there is a risk.

• Like 2

You specifically said they're dangerous after it rains. What about before it rains? Would they be safe to eat when it's not rainy season?

shadow

You specifically said they're dangerous after it rains. What about before it rains? Would they be safe to eat when it's not rainy season?

I eat clams and crab here only if there has been no significant rains for a month or so. Also, I only eat them if they were alive just prior to cooking. I have never been sick yet from sticking with this policy.

RogerDuMond

If you want to discuss religious topics please take them to the proper forum.

• Like 1
Headshot

Amen, Roger, Amen.  :cool:

This thread is about shellfish safety...NOT religious dietary laws.

Edited by Headshot
Headshot

Why doesn't cooking kill the hep?

...because if you overcook shellfish and crustaceans, it makes them tough, so they tend to be cooked just enough to firm the flesh, but not enough to kill hepatitis and other nasties that may be lurking in them. That is especially true in dishes that "cook" using the acid in lemon/lime juice or vinegar (ceviche or kinilaw).

• Like 1
Canuck Joe

...because if you overcook shellfish and crustaceans, it makes them tough, so they tend to be cooked just enough to firm the flesh, but not enough to kill hepatitis and other nasties that may be lurking in them. That is especially true in dishes that "cook" using the acid in lemon/lime juice or vinegar (ceviche or kinilaw).

ah that makes sense...thanks.

Wife has eaten shells her entire life...but last 10 years the population has exploded in Cordova. I want us to go for tests, and know shells. I never ate them while there knowing of the concerns....wife has been sick 3 times after eating them. No more shell fish.

• Like 1
miles-high

In Dampa fish market (by [email protected]), shrimps, crabs and clams are kept in the fresh water tanks with running water… I do not know how long they keep them there but am wondering if that would make them safer to eat…

Edited by miles-high

ha ha ha   find kosher 

Better yet, try to find kosher shellfish. :D

steveanton777

Amen, Roger, Amen.  :cool:

This thread is about shellfish safety...NOT religious dietary laws.

Sorry! I was inferring that everyone here should convert to Judaism and keep Kosher ;)

I just made a joke!

My commander in Korea got Hep A from eating prawns at a governor's reception. It almost killed him. Any creature in the ocean (or in fresh water) that filter feeds can carry Hep A that you can catch if you eat them. That includes all shellfish and almost all crustaceans (prawns, shrimp, crabs, etc.). Fish (including most of the reef fish that you see in the markets) that pick and eat algae from the coral and rocks can be infected as well. If a fish has a beak, then there is a risk.

Lol and you should see the worms crawl out of those reef fish when they catch them. Shellfish I will eat. Reef fish I wont

TheMatrix

Lol and you should see the worms crawl out of those reef fish when they catch them. Shellfish I will eat. Reef fish I wont

Well, I hope cooking kills the worms.  I sometimes see them crawling out the salmon I catch in Oregon.  

In Dampa fish market (by [email protected]), shrimps, crabs and clams are kept in the fresh water tanks with running water… I do not know how long they keep them there but am wondering if that would make them safer to eat…

Freshwater will kill them. They keep it running because the water will stink.

• Like 1