• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• shadow

• hyaku

• Headshot

• Jawny

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Every year I run into someone who has "yellow fever", that is, Hepatitis A. They nearly always get this from eating the shellfish after it has been raining a lot. I personally know TWO people recoveri

Once a month at my house

My commander in Korea got Hep A from eating prawns at a governor's reception. It almost killed him. Any creature in the ocean (or in fresh water) that filter feeds can carry Hep A that you can catch i

http://www.cdc.gov/hepatitis/pdfs/fiore_ha_transmitted_by_food.pdf

This is a link to a pdf (a bit lengthy and academic) about transmission of hepatitis. Interesting to note that the report reveals that it is uncommon in developed countries to have water transmission of the disease due to the modern use of sewage treatment.

There is no proper sewage treatment here.

Thanks for the warning.

Edited by Jawny
  • Like 1

As most pour effluent into rivers that wash into the sea one should be really carefull about shellfish. I would not eat any prepared at some roadside shack. We dive down and get some decent stuff including abalone around an offshore island.Red tides are another thing to watch out for.

A_Simple_Man

So this also applies to shrimp purchased at the local wet markets?

streak03

does red tide occur here ?  

Once a month at my house

• Like 8

does red tide occur here ?

Yes. There even are newspaper notices warning the public. I think there is some folklore about the months of the year when the red tide is more common (months with an "R"?).

Yellowfever

I've had yellow fever for well over 20 years now. There's no known cure but you can manage the symptoms.

Hep A isn't as scary as it sounds and you may already have it. If you don't, it's worth getting the shots as I did. The shots last for a lifetime. Over 90% of people have it in poorer parts of the world (read Asia). Most people who get it will have few symptoms, or none though a few unfortunate souls will go on to have major complications. If you've had it once you're immune for life. You can't get it from sex but you can get it from licking assholes.

I generally don't eat any seafood in the RP. Not so much because of the poor food storage and hygiene, but because I just don't like seafood. I've been poisoned just as effectively by the meat and water here at different times.

smokey

Eat Kosher and no problem :)

ha ha ha   find kosher 

Kabisay-an gid

I've had yellow fever for well over 20 years now. There's no known cure but you can manage the symptoms. Hep A isn't as scary as it sounds and you may already have it. If you don't, it's worth getting the shots as I did. The shots last for a lifetime. Over 90% of people have it in poorer parts of the world (read Asia). Most people who get it will have few symptoms, or none though a few unfortunate souls will go on to have major complications. If you've had it once you're immune for life. You can't get it from sex but you can get it from licking assholes. I generally don't eat any seafood in the RP. Not so much because of the poor food storage and hygiene, but because I just don't like seafood. I've been poisoned just as effectively by the meat and water here at different times.

It doesn't sound like the shots helped you much. You've had yellow fever for over 20 years and it's incurable.

How can you be immune to it for life if you've had it once, if it's incurable and the symptoms can only be managed?

Do you have a link to a reputable source for that "Over 90%" figure?

Did the meat and water that poisoned you just as effectively, give you any incurable diseases?

Edited by Kabisay-an gid
  • Like 1
Yellowfever

The kind of "yellow fever" I have is this kind;

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Asian_fetish

I've had it well over 20 years and there's no known cure but you can manage the symptoms with regular treatments. Some say increasing the treatment frequency just makes the disease worse.

When the OP referred to hep A as "yellow fever" he was using a common misnomer since the initial symptoms of hep A sometimes include temporary yellowing of the skin or jaundice. "Yellow fever" is an entirely different dosease from hep A.

Hep A also has no treatment available, but the symptoms go away for most people pretty quickly and generally don't return. If you've had it once you can't get it again. I've read that as many as 30% of people in the states will have exposure to hep A at some point in their lives while up to 90% of people will have had it by age 10 (and thereby be inmune to it) in developing countries.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hepatitis_A

I've never had hep A but have had the shots for it which are effective and only need to be had once. For that reason I'm not afraid of getting hep A from shellfish or from licking girls assholes. Honestly I enjoy the latter more than the former. The reason I got sick from the (1) scallop I ate was because it was almost completely raw. I should have spat it out rather than swallow it but only had a mild case of the runs and an upset tummy. The girl ate the lot though I told her not to and later threw up which is the first time I've seen a philippina do so.

• Like 1
Kabisay-an gid

I appreciate the more detailed explanation, Yellowfever. It clarified things for me.

• Like 1
  • Triple Diamond Sponsor
Monsoon

Yes. There even are newspaper notices warning the public. I think there is some folklore about the months of the year when the red tide is more common (months with an "R"?).

It is just the opposite. The old saying is never eat seafood in a month without an 'R' in it. 

TheMatrix

Now you tell me!

It's been raining all month, and I've been eating shellfish almost daily.  

Not sick yet, and hope I don't have Hep A..  

I'll cut back and stick to the coconuts.  I'm scared now.