native dogs

Lee From Cebu

The thing that makes native dogs just as dangerous as any trained hunting dog is not the bite .... but if the bite has rabies in it... a little native dog cant kill you today with its bite but you will pass in a few weeks.... that is why a native dog is such a good guard... its the not knowing..

You shouldn't be scared of barking dogs, they're just like that, barking. If you see one that seems to ignore you, be careful, it's the one that is most likely to bite.

We had a dog before that looked like a mixed breed of a doberman and an Askal. He was really dangerous coz he wouldn't bark and would just bite anyone that he considered a stranger. He just disappeared one day and we suspected that he was killed by those that he had bitten, particularly the thieves who attempted to break into our house before.

We had a neighbor before who called their dog "Paaka", which literally means "Go, bite". If he barked, our neighbor would try to shut him up by calling his name. So if there was someone at the gate, you would hear screams like "Ayaw intawon!" which means, "Please don't."

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• smokey

• Speedy

• shadow

• broden

Top Posters In This Topic

You shouldn't be scared of barking dogs, they're just like that, barking. If you see one that seems to ignore you, be careful, it's the one that is most likely to bite.

We had a dog before that looked like a mixed breed of a doberman and an Askal. He was really dangerous coz he wouldn't bark and would just bite anyone that he considered a stranger. He just disappeared one day and we suspected that he was killed by those that he had bitten, particularly the thieves who attempted to break into our house before.

We had a neighbor before who called their dog "Paaka", which literally means "Go, bite". If he barked, our neighbor would try to shut him up by calling his name. So if there was someone at the gate, you would hear screams like "Ayaw intawon!" which means, "Please don't."

Nice!

The pit bull terrier has a jaw which "locks" when the target struggles, which has the effect of greater flesh ripping carnage the more the victim struggles. Also, the brain is wired to respond more aggressively when overstimulated. The dog wins. It faces being banned in Australia, but it is a loyal guard. Not one for children in the burbs. It can handle teasing, but once it gets started, game over, native dogs included.

Edited by breakfast
smokey

Well as the owner of a still in the US Alaskan husky... I can say the reason native dogs have keep our NO GATE house safe now for 2 years is ... thieves are not scared of the fact that we are armed but they are scared of the native dogs ... We got ours free off the streets I took each one to the vet and got shots and nursed back to health and now I have 3 native dogs.. ON their own they divided up the house duties...one sleeps outside the bedroom door of my room, one sleeps in the garage and one sleeps on the steps leading to the upstairs bedrooms ... another bennie is they love fish and rice ... cheap to keep... the most dangerous dog I have is a half blind jet black female who does not bark but will bite you in the ankle every time if your not know to us.. Or her... my Alaskan husky is not here because he has heart troubles and the vet said the weather would kill him for sure... so my XXXX wife watches him for me and the children... well she charges us 300 a month .. Sure loves her children

shadow
hello everyone i,m comeing to the phils in oct, hopeing to rent a house in cebu for 6 to 12 months i,ve read on here native dogs are one of the best ways to protect your home. anyone have experience dealing with these dogs also what breed are they or are they mutts it really does not matter to me as long as i can train them i have alot of experience training protective dogs :):D thank you in advance for your help

I was a dog handler for a search and rescue unit in the states. Here we have 4 dogs here. 2 are native dogs. both bark ferociously at anything that moves. Both are sweet as pie, and scared if someone approaches them. Both of these dogs are very mildly trainable, meaning they will come for dinner but not much else. They will shut up when I tell them, as they know if they don't I will throw water on them. Beyond that is beyoind them. These dogs we inherited with the place, they more or less lived here before we did, and of course when we fed them and petted them which nobody else has ever done they stayed. One has decided he is a chicken dog, and if there is a chicken that is in trouble will stand and bark until someone comes to help the chicken. He is very protective of his flock. Stray chickens are quickly chased from the premises. He also gets mad as hell at any coconut that dares fall from a tree, and will chase it down and knaw on it ferociously for hours.

My wife's family had an obnoxious little pomeranian mix. Has most everyone bluffed into thinking he is a big dog. Sharp little teeth have penetrated more than a few, he bites everybody except my wife. I treid for years to win his freindship, but it just don't work. he still growls at me when I walk in or out, and now, I growl back.

Then, we have our princess Xena. She is half German Shepard, from good stock, and half native dog, of the brown stocky variety. She is very smart, and very loyal and lovable. She is also very aggressive when she thinks she should be, and stops when she is told. We worked with her some, training her to track, something that she seemed to be a natural at, and thoroughly loves. She seems to be very addicted to food, of any sort. When she was a puppy she would literally climb into the ref every time it opened. Now. she stands in front of it, waiting for someone to open it, and sleeps in front of it so nobody can open it without her knowing. She talks when excited, literally. She will not leave the yard, unless going for a walk with one of us. She is now the official Hash Dog of Dumaguete Hash House Harriers, a responsibility she doesn't take lightly. Her next heat we intend to breed her with a male German Shepard belonging to a freind.

Woof!

Larry in Dumaguete

smokey

Its funny but i trust my dogs to be loyal much more then the people i know...

shadow
Its funny but i trust my dogs to be loyal much more then the people i know...

On the back window of my van when I bought it in 1988, a sticker that read "The more people I meet, the more I love my dog!"

The sticker finally peeled away after 15 years.

Larry in Dumaguete

On the back window of my van when I bought it in 1988, a sticker that read "The more people I meet, the more I love my dog!"

The sticker finally peeled away after 15 years.

Larry in Dumaguete

Just bought a shephard here in Cebu. The pups, of which there were 4 left, looked fairly malnurished, she sure was hungry when we got her home. She is 8 wks old and pure black. If i hadn't seen the parents i don't think i would have purchased her but the parents both, although a bit thin, looked very healthy. Shinny fur, playful and alert.

I had, in Canada, a cross between a beauvier and a golden lab. Man that was the best dog i've ever seen. He was very big, used to kick the crap out of my brother rott, but was quiet as a mouse. If someone, even me, came in the house when he was alone he would just peek around the corner of the wall at you and not move or even blink until you did, then he would come running at you to get petted. Of course if you didn't know the dog it would scare the crap out of you which it did on many occasions.

Shephards are were bred to be security dogs and will protect their, what they consider to be their, territory without training. You just need to show the dog where its territory is and they will in most cases stay within it.

Another member here wrote that the shephard doesn't live long in the phil because of the heat, but i guess i'll have to find that out and post again in a few years.

One thing to train your dog, if you can, is not to accept food from strangers. Not easy but possible. The philippino thief is known for throwing poison food into the compound before entering.

Just a thought.

shadow
Shephards are were bred to be security dogs and will protect their, what they consider to be their, territory without training.

Actually, German Shepards were originally bred as, of all things, Shepards. Sheep dogs, to be exact. From their breeding as sheep dogs they naturally assumed the role of protector and guardian.

Larry in Dumaguete

Actually, German Shepards were originally bred as, of all things, Shepards. Sheep dogs, to be exact. From their breeding as sheep dogs they naturally assumed the role of protector and guardian.

Larry in Dumaguete

yes you are correct Shadow. protecting herding "security" all the same basic instincts. Its why shephards also make good family dogs, they think of the family as the flock and protect it.