native dogs

Lee From Cebu

you could always put him on a run rahter then a cage then he cane move around ... simple as a washline on pulleys

But that would look rather comical, wouldn't it? :(

Edited by Speedy
  • Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• smokey

• Speedy

• shadow

• broden

Top Posters In This Topic

• Admin (Retired)
broden

nah people do it all the time ... gives the dog the freedom to run but not to leave .. put a swivel on the collar hook that to a line ... hook the line to the run depending on the run and the length of the connecting line .. you can decide how far he can roam ... i've seen massive runs giving the dog huge stretches of property to run pretty freely on

a post in the ground on each end of the run ... a pulley at the top of each post ... run the run line in a loop .. hook the dogs line to that loop ... wish i had a picture .. my ascii talents are not up to it :)

if you want him for protection only totally fenced in home freedom is perfect ... but this is as close as you might be able to come ... he can't do much from a kennel

i've had dogs all my life .. they can look comical no matter the circumstance it's part of their charm :(

a post in the ground on each end of the run ... a pulley at the top of each post ... run the run line in a loop .. hook the dogs line to that loop ... wish i had a picture .. my ascii talents are not up to it :cool_01:

Never seen it in my life, must see a pic ... but that sounds interesting, is there a word/name for this construction? I would like to search for pics and examples by myself, but what to enter in Google?

My initial plan was to keep it caged daytime (with some time out to do his needs), then let it rooving free in night time, when our gates are locked (usually 6 pm to 6 am).

My experience with dogs, however, is low, I like cats more and had a lot of them.

cagayanstar

You sounded strange to me Lee,you like native dogs which we call here ASKAL?asong kalye meaning street dog.

Bob Ward
a post in the ground on each end of the run ... a pulley at the top of each post ... run the run line in a loop .. hook the dogs line to that loop ... wish i had a picture .. my ascii talents are not up to it :cool_01:

Never seen it in my life, must see a pic ... but that sounds interesting, is there a word/name for this construction? I would like to search for pics and examples by myself, but what to enter in Google?

My initial plan was to keep it caged daytime (with some time out to do his needs), then let it rooving free in night time, when our gates are locked (usually 6 pm to 6 am).

My experience with dogs, however, is low, I like cats more and had a lot of them.

http://www.unchainyourdog.org/Trolley.htm

Thanks Bob, that did it.

BTW, to cage or chain a dog "for lifetime" has never been an option for me.

So this might be a good solution for the daytime, and the cost for installing it instead of a cage are probably not higher. In night time, however, I will let it rooving around to guard the compound, this is the purpose if I buy a Shep.

Saver, the Wonder dog, is an ASKAL.

Yes, there are always some exceptions, but if I look at the local dogs here in general, most of them seem to be really stupid.

Edited by Speedy
  • Admin (Retired)
broden
a post in the ground on each end of the run ... a pulley at the top of each post ... run the run line in a loop .. hook the dogs line to that loop ... wish i had a picture .. my ascii talents are not up to it :any-help:

http://www.unchainyourdog.org/Trolley.htm

that's it bob

a more professional version of the home made ones i'm use to seeing

• 2 weeks later...
thank you that just made my day :lol:;):lol:

One of the locals has a new puppy on a leash. I wondered why they are so keen to follow the new municipal law. I was told, "No it's because they are going to eat it and don't want it mixing with the other dogs".

Edited by hyaku
  • 2 months later...

Tothe OP: Yes, Native Dogs as they called by most Pinoy (Filipinos) are great animals. I have 2 of my own but mostly live in a family compound where we have dozens all told, almost all Native. the cloest I have seen come to them are Dingos but these are usually much smarter, and just as fierce. I cannot condone caging a dog but t each their own, at least you are not eating them (hahaha - good food for many ethnicities but not all). I also have a home in Cebu which does not have room for a dog, wlthough I would love to have one, it is just not a realistic endeavour.

Also, on the dogs. There are 2 main types. The most common is the tan coated, dark brown eyed, medium sized. The less common is the reddish coated and yellow eyed with high and pointed ears, looks just like Ethiopian Wolves in Africa. They are less keen on training and seem to be a bit less intelligent on the uptake. i have one of each, but all the other dogs on the compound are the first type (aside from my one bitch).

CagayanStar: I find that most Pinoy do find it strange how foreigners like dogs, while most Pinoy who do not see them as food disdain them other than as purely guard dogs. However, Askal are great animals, I love mine to death.

for keeping a dog in the boundaries, we use a collar that emits a spray if the dog goes to close to the transmitter wire, the wire is then hidden in the fence and you have a natural barrier and the dog also controlled, within a few weeks a bright dog can have it removed and they control themselves.

As for my take on dogs, there is no greater fear then that experiecened just before a nice big Rotte sinks his teeth into you, try being on the end of a bite arm ahen they are training. The GSD is good at all round work and there is a problem in the hips on some of the blood lines, the need for paperworks is vital if you are to avoid this issue.

Mind you what would I know about dogs hehehehe been out with a few and some pigs as well

James

All native dogs will do is bark at everything and everyone. You can walk past them in the middle of the night, bottle of beer in hand and they'll bark constantly and follow you. All you have to do is turn around, stamp your foot and shout to make the entire pack of them run away. In my drunken states I've chased after a pack of them before. They are not brave. They are good watch dogs, but expect them to wake you at all hours for no reason.

James' rottweiler comment couldn't be more true. Rottweilers are 100-130 pounds of stocky muscle with a bite that is supposedly more powerful than a pitbull or german shepherd. They're not for everyone though, they do need a firm owner who can train them properly. Rottweilers have their bad name because of bad owners, nothing more. Blame the dogs owner for the deaths of those children you might have read in the news. My 3 month old male has a great temperament, I can take a big juicy pork bone off him without even a snarl or a grumble from him. That's one sign of a good dog. My 4 month old doberman is the same, a great temperament, and already becoming protective of our house without barking too much. My dogs arn't kept in a cage, they're loved family dogs who have the run of the house.

Our neighbours all think we now have two dangerous dogs in the house. They could not be more wrong. The neighbours pomeranian (sp?) will be more likely to attack an innocent person (believe me, I've met the little ****). No one seems to care about the 5 or 6 native dogs that live on the road (they're not strays)

• 1 month later...
Balintawak

I have had 2 Rottweilers and thats my brand of dog for sure. They are sweet, funny, cozy, patient and strong mentally...

Though they tend to go for whoever has the food hehe

How much dues rotts cost in pinas?

smokey

The thing that makes native dogs just as dangerous as any trained hunting dog is not the bite .... but if the bite has rabies in it... a little native dog cant kill you today with its bite but you will pass in a few weeks.... that is why a native dog is such a good guard... its the not knowing..