native dogs

Lee From Cebu

Lee From Cebu

hello everyone i,m comeing to the phils in oct, hopeing to rent a house in cebu for 6 to 12 months i,ve read on here native dogs are one of the best ways to protect your home. anyone have experience dealing with these dogs also what breed are they or are they mutts it really does not matter to me as long as i can train them i have alot of experience training protective dogs :rolleyes::any-help: thank you in advance for your help

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• smokey

• Speedy

• Lee From Cebu

• shadow

what breed are they or are they mutts...

They're all pure breed muts.

Having said that I have 2 native dogs and 3 American Cocker Spaniels and their intelligence level seem to be comparable.

Lee From Cebu

anybody have pictures of there dogs ,how much do they weigh, how tall ,temperment. wheres the best place to get a local dog? just take in strays or is there a rescue home

twostrokes
anybody have pictures of there dogs ,how much do they weigh, how tall ,temperment. wheres the best place to get a local dog? just take in strays or is there a rescue home

The rescue house is right beside the Aso Adobo House Restaurant

Jim

just take in strays or is there a rescue home...

The only rescue home would be you if you're willing...

But there's always dogs nursing their pups and the owners of such dogs would be more than willing I would think to simply give you one of your choice.

Mailman

I wonder if that was by chance or strategic design? :rolleyes:

Lee From Cebu

thank you that just made my day :rolleyes::any-help:;)

thank you that just made my day :D B) :)

Lee , i don't know your choice of dogs but most filipino dogs i have have met will run the other way if you bark back at them . German Sheps are the breed of class here in the Philippines for airport , ship security and they are fairly easy to obtain though not always with papers .

I know two breeders here in Cagayan De Oro . One breeds Sheps and the other Dobies . They are always looking for good owners and if obtained as a puppy can be had for in the neighborhood of $100 . Since you have experience with dogs you may be able to get for less .

smokey
thank you that just made my day :D B) :)

Lee , i don't know your choice of dogs but most filipino dogs i have have met will run the other way if you bark back at them . German Sheps are the breed of class here in the Philippines for airport , ship security and they are fairly easy to obtain though not always with papers .

I know two breeders here in Cagayan De Oro . One breeds Sheps and the other Dobies . They are always looking for good owners and if obtained as a puppy can be had for in the neighborhood of $100 . Since you have experience with dogs you may be able to get for less .

of the 3 native dogs i have one Chico barks a lot at strangers.... Black a female bites at the back of the leg drives the bike riders nuts and Tootsi is half and half... its not the size of the dog that prevents the burgler from coming its native dogs are KNOW to have rabies and one bite and your history that is what scares even the hardened bad guy its the noit knowing ... The more your dog looks like a million others the better as far as scare factor,,

Are you talking mongrels here? Just ask one from your neighbors or you can try buying in overpass near Robinsons Mall. Just make sure you have them vaccinated with anti-rabies.

• 2 weeks later...
USMC-Retired

I think I ate there. I really like the legs.

Jim

I know two breeders here in Cagayan De Oro . One breeds Sheps and the other Dobies . They are always looking for good owners and if obtained as a puppy can be had for in the neighborhood of $100.

Could you kindly give me some information (contact) about those breeders? What is the price in PHP, how old are the puppies and have they seen a doctor already? Thanks in advance. :P

I actually own two native dogs, in my place I get a "thank you" whenever getting a puppy (for free, of course), because I save the neigbours work to kill them.

However, IMO they are not a good security, because they are barking at everything that walks, swims or flies by- unless you feed them once, then you are their best friend.

I don't know how to train dogs, of course, but at least at one dog, I doubt anybody could teach it anything ... :D

A German Sheperd might be the better choice. In Germany, this race is present in many government authorities, because it's known as intelligent and easy to train. They use it for finding drugs and also for stopping criminals. I saw some in action sometimes, very impressive.

Doberman, however, is seen there as sometimes incalculable and potentially dangerous even to owners and their kids. You need a license to own a dog of this race there.

smokey
I know two breeders here in Cagayan De Oro . One breeds Sheps and the other Dobies . They are always looking for good owners and if obtained as a puppy can be had for in the neighborhood of $100.

Could you kindly give me some information (contact) about those breeders? What is the price in PHP, how old are the puppies and have they seen a doctor already? Thanks in advance. :as-if:

I actually own two native dogs, in my place I get a "thank you" whenever getting a puppy (for free, of course), because I save the neigbours work to kill them.

However, IMO they are not a good security, because they are barking at everything that walks, swims or flies by- unless you feed them once, then you are their best friend.

I don't know how to train dogs, of course, but at least at one dog, I doubt anybody could teach it anything ... :thats-funny:

A German Sheperd might be the better choice. In Germany, this race is present in many government authorities, because it's known as intelligent and easy to train. They use it for finding drugs and also for stopping criminals. I saw some in action sometimes, very impressive.

Doberman, however, is seen there as sometimes incalculable and potentially dangerous even to owners and their kids. You need a license to own a dog of this race there.

one of our neighbors has a german shepard and they keep it in a 6foot by 5 foot CAGE.. i feel sorry for the poor dog it barks at everything maybe because its so cramped... dont forget you need a fair sized yard its crule to keep a dog in a box..

one of our neighbors has a german shepard and they keep it in a 6foot by 5 foot CAGE.. i feel sorry for the poor dog it barks at everything maybe because its so cramped... dont forget you need a fair sized yard its crule to keep a dog in a box..

My lot has 2,300 sqm, but only 900 are actually fenced. But IMO it's OK if you keep the dog in a cage, if you get him used to this as a puppy. And if you leave him out half day or night, of course. Will depend the dog, mostly Sheps are friendly and there is no need to cage or even bend them. Also my native dogs roove aroud free inside (and outside) my compound.

The problem with a Shep is, it must not go outside, because it might get some sickness from there and because it's scaring the people. So maybe I need to keep it in a cage at daytime.

• Admin (Retired)
broden

My lot has 2,300 sqm, but only 900 are actually fenced. But IMO it's OK if you keep the dog in a cage, if you get him used to this as a puppy. And if you leave him out half day or night, of course. Will depend the dog, mostly Sheps are friendly and there is no need to cage or even bend them. Also my native dogs roove aroud free inside (and outside) my compound.

The problem with a Shep is, it must not go outside, because it might get some sickness from there and because it's scaring the people. So maybe I need to keep it in a cage at daytime.

you could always put him on a run rahter then a cage then he cane move around ... simple as a washline on pulleys