Sign in to follow this  
Jawny

Citi Hardware is opened in Ormoc city, it's Great!

Jawny

The Ormoc branch of Citi Hardware has recently reopened in Ormoc city. It was damaged from Yolanda and within the past several weeks the new location across the highway from the original is now open.

Stopped in yesterday and was surprised to see it was well stocked. I expected much less. Lots of open space but as much or more of the stocks they had before. There is some stocking going on as they fill the shelves, such as paint was being inventoried while we were there.

It was the same arrangment as before, with staff following the customers around like puppies.

No need to head to Cebu for shopping at hardware stores there.

Now, if I can just find a good seller and installer of roofing!!

• Like 7

A_Simple_Man

across the highway from the original

Its really great to hear that things are getting back to normal after that devastating Typhoon over a year ago.  I would have hoped that they would choose a location nearer to downtown instead of where they are but its great to hear that they are stocked.  Expats come from all over north and west Leyte and Biliran to shop there.

• Like 1

bahalina buong

That's a great store, and I had no idea it's been closed since the typhoon.  It's just a long ride from the other side of town where we live.  There is a new home center called Saver's Depot opening soon near the APL ice plant, near the end of Rizal street before it turns left and crosses the 3rd bridge.  Looks promising and much closer than City Hardware in Ipil, for those coming from the north.

20150108_070454_zpsaa9f58cf.jpg

Edited by bahalina buong
  • Like 2

easy44

That's good news!  I used to shop there a lot before Yolanda and have been at a loss for odds and ends ever since.  I didn't even know they were building a new one since I rarely go out that way.  Will head over there next week when I go into town.

• Like 1

Jawny

That's good news!  I used to shop there a lot before Yolanda and have been at a loss for odds and ends ever since.  I didn't even know they were building a new one since I rarely go out that way.  Will head over there next week when I go into town.

I think you will be delighted. The older location had a hardware store previously. They didn't seem to catch on and mostly sold the same sort of stuff you could find in one of the mom and pop stores. After a year or two of being open, they began to sell canned food and clothing meaning you could count the days before they closed. Then the Citi hardware appeared and they were far better. Problem was, they had a hard time keeping track of stock and were alwasy overflowing with tiles and such in the store, blocking access.

For a while after Yolanda, they opened but we're selling their damaged merchandise at regular prices. Pretty pathetic.

Now, the new store is as good as any of those I've seen in Cebu.

• Like 1

bahalina buong

I think you will be delighted. The older location had a hardware store previously. They didn't seem to catch on and mostly sold the same sort of stuff you could find in one of the mom and pop stores. After a year or two of being open, they began to sell canned food and clothing meaning you could count the days before they closed. Then the Citi hardware appeared and they were far better. Problem was, they had a hard time keeping track of stock and were alwasy overflowing with tiles and such in the store, blocking access.

For a while after Yolanda, they opened but we're selling their damaged merchandise at regular prices. Pretty pathetic.

I look forward to visiting.  Those in Cebu probably don't understand, but hardware shopping here in Ormoc is very "hit or miss" . I've always felt like a kid in a candy store there at Citi Hardware. :)

Edited by bahalina buong
  • Like 2

easy44

When Citi Hardware first opened in the old location they had a good variety of products and decent stock. As time went on stocks ran down and selection suffered. The same old story familiar to anyone who has lived in the PH for a while. Customer service went from too many employees wanting to help to not being able to find anyone available. I hope the new store is different but if the same management is running things, it is unlikely. Still, im happy they reopened. It's nice to be able to browse instead of ordering from someone behind a counter. Edited by easy44
  • Like 2

Phil Scooter

When Citi Hardware first opened in the old location they had a good variety of products and decent stock. As time went on stocks ran down and selection suffered. The same old story familiar to anyone who has lived in the PH for a while. Customer service went from too many employees wanting to help to not being able to find anyone available. I hope the new store is different but if the same management is running things, it is unlikely. Still, im happy they reopened. It's nice to be able to browse instead of ordering from someone behind a counter.

Really, for sure... But unfortunately, this is true for many retail establishments. If you think about some other places (especially in the U.S.) - they start off strong, stocked & with way too much help (associates) then after a bit, they will become less-stocked & the associates seem to disappear, leaving you to find it yourself. :help::sorry: ...If it exists that is... :unsure:

:ontopic:  Let's hope that this new store is the exception though.  :good:

• Like 1

Jawny

When Citi Hardware first opened in the old location they had a good variety of products and decent stock. As time went on stocks ran down and selection suffered. The same old story familiar to anyone who has lived in the PH for a while. Customer service went from too many employees wanting to help to not being able to find anyone available. I hope the new store is different but if the same management is running things, it is unlikely. Still, im happy they reopened. It's nice to be able to browse instead of ordering from someone behind a counter.

I consider most stores in the same fashion. My intention is to strike quickly to get items I've been looking for. Most things I need are difficult to carry for a shopping trip in Cebu. So, having a good store like this close by with a vehicle is great.

I also like the manner of shopping where I can take my time and make comparisons. In stores like Citi there is less "out of stock". Basically, what you see is what you get.

Also, Citi seems to carry more upscale brands. I've been looking for high pressure washers and they had at least four name brands.

• Like 1

easy44

I consider most stores in the same fashion. My intention is to strike quickly to get items I've been looking for. Most things I need are difficult to carry for a shopping trip in Cebu. So, having a good store like this close by with a vehicle is great.

I also like the manner of shopping where I can take my time and make comparisons. In stores like Citi there is less "out of stock". Basically, what you see is what you get.

Also, Citi seems to carry more upscale brands. I've been looking for high pressure washers and they had at least four name brands.

Yes, I agree with you. It would be even better if another big hardware store would open to keep each other from getting complacent. Unfortunately, Ace only opens in SM Malls but maybe another like Cebu home Builders would. Just wishful thinking probably. Edited by easy44

Jawny

Yes, I agree with you. It would be even better if another big hardware store would open to keep each other from getting complacent. Unfortunately, Ace only opens in SM Malls but maybe another like Cebu home Builders would. Just wishful thinking probably.

Cebu hardware shopping has its own challenges. I stick mostly to the malls for shopping trips. I have gone to a few independent stores in Cebu, but they were not much different than what I can find here. Same hassles of having to ask first and guess if they have understood the request.

I used to use True Value in the Ayala mall. They always seemed to be in a state of confusion with aisles filled with merchandise and confused sales staff. Has gotten worse after they moved. Ace hardware is ok, but don't have as wide a selection as I would like.

• Like 2

easy44

Cebu hardware shopping has its own challenges. I stick mostly to the malls for shopping trips. I have gone to a few independent stores in Cebu, but they were not much different than what I can find here. Same hassles of having to ask first and guess if they have understood the request.

I used to use True Value in the Ayala mall. They always seemed to be in a state of confusion with aisles filled with merchandise and confused sales staff. Has gotten worse after they moved. Ace hardware is ok, but don't have as wide a selection as I would like.

Have you tried Belmont Tool in Mandaue? Pretty good selection of mostly high quality goods.

Wolfpack

I agree not sure what is up with True Value in Ayala...very pleased with Citi Hardware in Carcar...other than I spend too much money there...

Jawny

Have you tried Belmont Tool in Mandaue? Pretty good selection of mostly high quality goods.

Yes, I did go there once. Impressive as to the imported name brands.

trthebees

I've had some good stuff from Citi hardware and Belmont. I've got a long list now of stuff to get, but I'll aim for Mattiau (spelling?) over in Dumaguete and some other stores there. Cebu city is painfully far.

I've had it with most stuff available very locally...they cover most basic daily needs but aim for the cheapest...and I've had electric sockets where the "spring" goes after a few uses, porous 1/2 elbows, rapidly de-zincifying valves, and such thin threaded nipples the thread runs off. Thread my own pipe now of decent schedule.

caveat Emptor and all that...but the bigger stores generally seem to have higher quality available, apart from a far better assortment of stuff. 

• Like 2