Sign in to follow this  
CMoli

First Trip Questions- need local help!

Enuff

best bet is to stay in mactan/mandaue area 1st night and get a fresh start during the day to find your rental house, once there you can look for markets and such.

• Like 6

shadow

Danny Noy can meet you at the airport, he knows Cebu very well and comes highly recommended by several members including myself who have used him extensively.;

http://www.cebutaxiservice.com/reliable_cebu_taxi_driver.htm

• Like 9

Woolf

6  people in a normal taxi ?

and to that, all the lauggage

I think that is a no go

As bigmook suggest, better to find a hotel for the night at Mactan close to the airport

• Like 4

Mikala

6  people in a normal taxi ?

and to that, all the lauggage

I think that is a no go

As bigmook suggest, better to find a hotel for the night at Mactan close to the airport

Didn't Danny Noy arrange larger transport for other members? I too recommend a hotel for the night.

• Like 2

shadow

What would you typically spend to hire a driver for a full day? And of course he would be well fed and tipped :)

We generally pay about p2000/day for car and driver.

• Like 2

oztony

Bigmooks suggestion to stay overnight in Cebu City is a good one , what time do you land ? (or did I miss that bit)

Larry's suggestion with Danny Noy , well you just cant beat that one ,

If you have enough room in your transport you may decide to do a shop up on supplies while you are in Cebu

and then just drive through to Sogod without having to go back to Carmen for a shop for a few days at least

• Like 2

Jawny

What would you typically spend to hire a driver for a full day? And of course he would be well fed and tipped :)

Probably 2000 a day would be a typical rate. I can't advise on that as I live outside the city and prices vary. I did have a can and driver for a two week visit a while back. One issue that came up was the vehicle got switched. Initially it was a van, but after a few days, the owner realized we didn't need a van, so he substituted a clunker of a sedan. We complained and got the van back. He would have been able to use the van for more people, more revenue.

As well, the owners often will pay their drivers very little, so the tip does become important.

Be clear this is for van and driver and what hours you anticipate. No gasoline costs or such, though tolls, parking fees and the like are yours to pay. If you go to a resort, sometimes they will charge per person, so the driver may be a cost as a person. Small details, but better to be aware of these than be surprised.

As to finding directions, that sort of problem can come up anywhere. I drove a taxi for several years in a large city and did run into some instances where I didn't know where something was....this was before GPS and Google searches!

• Like 1

miles-high

Larry's suggestion with Danny Noy , well you just cant beat that one

If he cannot come up with a lareger car, I could ask my Cebu driver to coordinate with Danny as he has a Toyota Grandia (if not already taken)...

• Like 1

oztony

If he cannot come up with a lareger car, I could ask my Cebu driver to coordinate with Danny as he has a Toyota Grandia (if not already taken)...

That would be very helpful to the OP , as something like that was what I envisaged that would be needed , 6 people , just arrive with all their luggage and if they were to do a shop in Cebu ?

I don't know about anyone else , but me personally cannot stand being sardined into a vehicle , especially after a flight . Those Grandia's are a great setup , the Rolls Royce of the van world

Edited by oztony
  • Like 1

CMoli

We have decided to stay overnight near the airport...just not sure where yet. I have emailed Danny and am waiting for his response. Your drivers information would be very much appreciated Miles-High. Thank you all for your advice! I love this forum!

• Like 1

Enuff

Express inn - mactan should run about $25 usd (p1200) per room including breakfast. This will give you a decent idea for local foods and some time to gather your thoughts before the trip to Sogod.

You might want to contact alegrae resort also to see if they can assist with transportation. Once you get there you will need a van for your entire trip, I'm not sure if someone from cebu would fit the bill.

Enuff

As far as cell phones you can get 1/2 decent phones b4 u get here. About $15 usd each. Once here you can get Sim cards. I suggest globe for local and sun for international. Also plan on texting as it cheaper than calling each other.

http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&id=321520031738&alt=web

• Like 1

Enuff

If you need Internet you might want to wait to you arrive in sogod to see which signal is best. You can get a pocket wifi for less than $30 usd and costs about $1 usd per day for access.

• Like 1

Dublin boy

To see the whale sharks could be a very long trip as this is far south of the island and would take you approx 4 hours or a over night stay at a resort close to the whale sharks. Hope this helps

• Like 1

to_dave007

Borussia is way out from the main North highway, kinda middle of nowhere and to get supplies you'll have to head back to Carmen or Bogo is probably closer and is a larger center than Carmen or Sogod. They have Gaisano and the large fresh markets there. 

This is NOT correct.  The front Gate of Borussia is RIGHT ON the national highway. As you drive along the national highway you can't miss the big Borussia sign.  I'll drive by there today, as I often do.

• Like 1