Sign in to follow this  
CMoli

First Trip Questions- need local help!

CMoli

We are arriving in Cebu city in mid February and are renting a home, for 14 days, in Sogod near the resort. We are not sure if it's better to rent a car or hire a driver. None of us have ever driven in a region like this before, and I am unsure if it's safe. Our arrival time is 11:45 pm. There are 6 of us.

My other questions are:

1. Where can I get cell phones to be able to call the U.S. and to keep in contact with each other while we are there? Verizon is very expensive.

2. We are all active people who will want to hike, explore, and maybe have a few boating excursions. What are some of the best places to go near Sogod? I've heard of Bohol and swimming with Whale Sharks...are those easily accessed from Sogod? Are there people we can hire to take us on a boat island hopping/beach hopping in that area?

3. What is shopping like in Sogod? Food specifically. We plan on hiring someone to cook and clean for us while we are there....but I'm unsure of how to stock the house with food.

4. Any other helpful information would be ver appreciated!!

towboat72

what resort are you going to be near 

i think the nearest big store is going to be in carmen but will be market in sogod 

Edited by towboat72
  • Like 1

Mikala

1. Where can I get cell phones to be able to call the U.S. and to keep in contact with each other while we are there? Verizon is very expensive.

All the shopping malls have kiosks and stores selling cheap cellphones. If your Verizon phone works on GSM (such as an iPhone 5 or 6), you can get 3G service using just a SIM card that you can purchase for 40p (about a buck) at many places. A 1/2 way decent cellphone (Nokia) should be about 25 dollars and then just buy a SIM card from Globe / Smart / Sun to get service. Check with Verizon that your phone is unlocked. I recently checked and Verizon told me that my old iPhone 5, plus my new iPhone 6 are both unlocked.

You can buy load and call the States using the local service at much cheaper rates than Verizon's $3 per minute rate.

If you have internet in ur rented home, consider using Skype for calling the States.

• Like 3

riklynbor

I have a android smart phone I geuss most people now have one or something similar.

I got a 4g/3g sim card with Globe tattoo and loaded P999 for unlimited internet for a month and stayed in contact with my family in Australia that way. You get 1 Gig a day high speed internet then it is slowed down but still fast enough to talk on Skype. I used up the fast internet using my camera in the evening talking to my wife. It resets after midnight.

P999 is about $25.

Regards Rik

I was able to use video conversation for about 4 to 5 hours a day then voice only.

Edited by riklynbor
  • Like 1

oztony

We are arriving in Cebu city in mid February and are renting a home, for 14 days, in Sogod near the resort. We are not sure if it's better to rent a car or hire a driver. None of us have ever driven in a region like this before, and I am unsure if it's safe. Our arrival time is 11:45 pm. There are 6 of us.

May be better to hire a driver for your first trip here  , You need to understand that if anything happens , like someone drives into the side of your vehicle , or runs in front of you and you hit them

you will be deemed to be the one at fault , regardless of the facts .

If you are landing at Mactan , maybe get a v hire to Sogod and then fish around for a local driver when you arrive and get settled into your digs

• Like 2

Mariel

Are you talking about Sogod Northern Cebu? It's generally safe, but of course take the usual precautions. There are several resorts in the area. Alegre and Bunzes Cove are real nice, but you'll need your own transport to get there.  There are lots of rental vehicles around, most come with drivers actually. If you're into swimming with sharks (non predator) head to Malapascua island further north. Lots of diving places around there, and you can hire a boat for the day to go all around the island as well as diving. 

• Like 2

Mikala

If you are landing at Mactan , maybe get a v hire to Sogod and then fish around for a local driver when you arrive and get settled into your digs

Danny Noy could meet them. He's a driver well known to the LinC community and very trustworthy. I believe his information is on LinC and you can email him to setup a reservation for pickup. He can also provide daily services and such.

• Like 5

Wolfpack

My other questions are:

2. We are all active people who will want to hike, explore, and maybe have a few boating excursions. What are some of the best places to go near Sogod? I've heard of Bohol and swimming with Whale Sharks...are those easily accessed from Sogod? Are there people we can hire to take us on a boat island hopping/beach hopping in that area?

3. What is shopping like in Sogod? Food specifically. We plan on hiring someone to cook and clean for us while we are there....but I'm unsure of how to stock the house with food.

4. Any other helpful information would be ver appreciated!!

In Sogod...you gotta find a place called Borussia...it is a restaurant with a bakery...great stuff...

for adventure...contact "Planet Action Adventure" in Moalboal...those folks know adventure!!!

• Like 2

towboat72

Are you talking about Sogod Northern Cebu? It's generally safe, but of course take the usual precautions. There are several resorts in the area. Alegre and Bunzes Cove are real nice, but you'll need your own transport to get there.  There are lots of rental vehicles around, most come with drivers actually. If you're into swimming with sharks (non predator) head to Malapascua island further north. Lots of diving places around there, and you can hire a boat for the day to go all around the island as well as diving. 

ALEGRE RESORT IS CLOSED we used todrive up there from compostela to eat about once a month but last time there guard said thet closed in feb 

towboat72

In Sogod...you gotta find a place called Borussia...it is a restaurant with a bakery...great stuff...

for adventure...contact "Planet Action Adventure" in Moalboal...those folks know adventure!!!

borussia is one of my favorites.love there sour dough bread we buy it take home freeze it 

very good german food 

• Like 2

Mariel

for adventure...contact "Planet Action Adventure" in Moalboal...those folks know adventure!!

Borussia is way out from the main North highway, kinda middle of nowhere and to get supplies you'll have to head back to Carmen or Bogo is probably closer and is a larger center than Carmen or Sogod. They have Gaisano and the large fresh markets there. 

• Like 1

Jawny

May be better to hire a driver for your first trip here  , You need to understand that if anything happens , like someone drives into the side of your vehicle , or runs in front of you and you hit them

you will be deemed to be the one at fault , regardless of the facts .

The op is wise to have asked these questions before getting here. Better to have a plan if the trip is short lived (two weeks). I agree with these comments about hiring a driver. It is not so much an issue of your skills and dealing with the traffic. It is the situation when the shit hits the fan that will cause you grief. With a van and driver, the responsibility rests with him and his boss, not you if something happens.

I might add, you don't have to put up with a lousy driver. I have used vans with drivers and when they started with the honking and aggressive driving, I insisted he stop with the noise and speed. They just assume old habits unless you advise otherwise. I always had them comply and made for a much nicer ride.

Be sure to feed them as they spend the day with you and give a nice tip if pleased with the service.

• Like 2

Enuff

hiring a driver is great but after midnight, who is gonna be able to find this place. not sure how familiar you are with the Philippines but directions aint a strongsuit.

just last week we were looking for a pediatric dentist on gov cuenco ave in banilad. while standing on gov cuenco ave a guard at country mall said he has never heard of the road.

Edited by bigmook
  • Like 3

CMoli

what resort are you going to be near 

i think the nearest big store is going to be in carmen but will be market in sogod

We are very close to Alegre Resort.

CMoli

The op is wise to have asked these questions before getting here. Better to have a plan if the trip is short lived (two weeks). I agree with these comments about hiring a driver. It is not so much an issue of your skills and dealing with the traffic. It is the situation when the shit hits the fan that will cause you grief. With a van and driver, the responsibility rests with him and his boss, not you if something happens.

I might add, you don't have to put up with a lousy driver. I have used vans with drivers and when they started with the honking and aggressive driving, I insisted he stop with the noise and speed. They just assume old habits unless you advise otherwise. I always had them comply and made for a much nicer ride.

Be sure to feed them as they spend the day with you and give a nice tip if pleased with the service.

What would you typically spend to hire a driver for a full day? And of course he would be well fed and tipped :)