a question about my ac...

smokey

smokey

I have a few TRANE units in my house and one that is almost never used suddenly starting blinking on the control panel... the letters  small r and big E ..... rE does anyone know what its trying to tell me?????????????????

I am not sure but check the battery in the remote if you have one, and whenever I get lights that should not be on, I shut the breaker and then turn it back on, power off and on failures mess everything up. 

• Like 2
RogerDat

Greetings Evil Clown!  What is model and serial number? 5000+ procedures!

Happy New Year! or Happy Honika?

smokey

Greetings Evil Clown!  What is model and serial number? 5000+ procedures!

Happy New Year! or Happy Honika?

will check ... unit is 10 years old but not used in a few years .. all of a sudden starting blinking... turned it on and it seems to work but as temp number blinks then it goes to  rE... will check on model

smokey

It Says ...   Trane TTK5-12P 100 FA           the 5 could be an S

lopburi3
Temperature Display (7-segment
LED, 2 digits) show
- The room temperature.
- The setting temperature while
blinking.
- “RE”, show the room sensor is
open or short circuit.
- “FE” show the freeze sensor is
open or short circuit.
- “HF” show the heating system is
supposed to be fail. (For Cooling/
Heating model)
- “Fr” show the evaporator coil is
freeze.

Found above for Chiller type units sold here in Thailand from about 2002.

• Like 1
smokey

Found above for Chiller type units sold here in Thailand from about 2002.

RE  show the room sensor is open or short circuit ???   

lopburi3

That's what it says - but was both capital letters so small 'r' might be something different on other models.  But it does seem to use "RE" to indicate the temperature sensor is not working.  Chiller units are like split system air-conditioners but use cold water instead of gas and suspect they come with external temperature controls for the rooms they are used in (which turn fan on/off - water flows all the time).

If this is a handheld remote my first check would be new batteries (perhaps it means "replace")

• Like 1

small r and big E ..... rE does anyone know what its trying to tell

r epairman_______E xpensive !!!   :rofl:

• Like 3
oztony

First thing , check your return air filter , wash it and make sure it is clean and that air can flow through it , turn the power off to unit at the isolator switch to the condenser or the circuit at your main powerboard (it should be labelled) , leave the power off for 5-10 minutes , so that the capacitors discharge any stored power , then turn the power back on , and try your unit

If you are using a remote control and not a hard wired thermostat , change the batteries in the remote , sometimes there will be enough batt charge to show a display but not enough to send a signal to the unit .

• Like 3
smokey

First thing , check your return air filter , wash it and make sure it is clean and that air can flow through it , turn the power off to unit at the isolator switch to the condenser or the circuit at your main powerboard (it should be labelled) , leave the power off for 5-10 minutes , so that the capacitors discharge any stored power , then turn the power back on , and try your unit

If you are using a remote control and not a hard wired thermostat , change the batteries in the remote , sometimes there will be enough batt charge to show a display but not enough to send a signal to the unit .

i will try this today before I call the repair guy this unit has not been turned on in 6 months or more....

smokey

well I did some more research and read that a number code is a mech. problem a Letter code a mistake or error in the control panel... the sleep button is not working but the ac is fine and it might not be a letter r E but the symbol looks like a letter r shape with the top piece straight I E

oztony

but the ac is fine

Smokey , are saying that the unit is now working ?

SkyMan

If it's almost never used, turn it off and it will continue to work almost as well as it has and cost less.   :good:

• Like 2