Sign in to follow this  
samatm

US Notary signature required. Does the Cebu Consulate perform this?

samatm

I am selling a property in the US and need to sign off the closing documents with a notary public.   Has anyone done this at the Cebu US consulate?     Do you know if a  Philippine Notary would be legal if I can't make it to the consulate.

Thank you in advance,

lopburi3

http://manila.usembassy.gov/service/cebuconsulate.html

Per above the do provide notary service (will be $50 fee so not cheap if a number of documents are required).

Can not answer second part.

I did that process at Embassy here in Thailand many years ago; but had no choice as there is no local official notary service.

Be aware they are not open today due holiday.

Edited by lopburi3

Paul

I have never had property documents notarized in the Philippines. However, other legal documents that I have had notarized in the Philippines were fine - if that helps.

samatm

http://manila.usembassy.gov/service/cebuconsulate.html

Per above the do provide notary service (will be $50 fee so not cheap if a number of documents are required).

Can not answer second part.

I did that process at Embassy here in Thailand many years ago; but had no choice as there is no local official notary service.

Be aware they are not open today due holiday.

50 bucks a document... OUCH.    not sure how many need to be signed.... 

but thanks for the info. 

SkyMan

I had a POA done at the consulate back when it was $30 which was outrageous then.  Any chance you know a notary back in the US that would sign off for you? If not, I would first call your realtor and find out if an RP notary is ok.  If not you need to fork out the $50.

SkyMan

50 bucks a document... OUCH.    not sure how many need to be signed.... 

but thanks for the info. 

The way they do in the consulate is not actually a notary but counts as one.  He doesn't sign your docs as a notary would be he attaches an apostille using a grommet and a ribbon so it can't be removed without cutting the ribbon or tearing the pages from the grommet or whatever.  I don't know if he would do this for a packet of papers with multiple signatures or you'd have to do one for each signature.  If you knew someone you trusted there you could give them a POA and that would only be one paper/signature.

Paul

If not, I would first call your realtor and find out if an RP notary is ok.

Most likely, they would not know. Personally, I would not ask them, because they would, in most cases, say no - out of ignorance.

The notary really just needs to serve as witness that yes, he did sign said document(s) in front of the notary. 

lopburi3

As said believe they treat all on same subject as a packet rather than requiring payment for each signature (recall I also had to provide a separate statement that I was not the back school tax person at different address (only my last name was the same and was quite upset so believe that was an additional charge).  

Jawny

Refer to these links:

if it's any comfort, the requirement goes both ways. Filipinos have the same issue for real estate transactions while they are resident overseas.

Perhaps you can consider a limited power of attorney as a source document for the real estate transactions. That is, you have a limited POA created here, have it processed through the consulate. This way it's a single document. You'd need a trusted person to accept the duties in the POA.

It was many years ago, but I did have an apostille done by the Philippine embassy. I know it's not the same as the U.S., but I do recall it was a single price for the process and there were several documents made part of the "packet". So, at least for the Philippines, it was not a price per signature.

http://activerain.trulia.com/blogsview/1879345/having-documents-notarized-in-a-foreign-country-

http://www.newyorkpcg.org/our-services/legal-and-notarial/notarizationauthentication-of-documents

http://thejurat.com/2013/12/28/need-something-notarized-overseas/

Edited by Jawny

Davaoeno

Most likely, they would not know. Personally, I would not ask them, because they would, in most cases, say no - out of ignorance.

The notary really just needs to serve as witness that yes, he did sign said document(s) in front of the notary. 

Of course anyone who knows anything at all about the Philippines knows that just because something was notarized in the Philippines does not mean that it was signed in front of the notary .  I had maybe 15 things notarized last month and not one of them was signed by the person in front of the attorney who notarized it .  Most notarizations cost me between 50 and 100 pesos, but even the ones to transfer SEC shares and to transfer a car title which I had to pay 300-500 pesos for were still not signed  in front of the notary 

• Like 1

smokey

Of course anyone who knows anything at all about the Philippines knows that just because something was notarized in the Philippines does not mean that it was signed in front of the notary .  I had maybe 15 things notarized last month and not one of them was signed by the person in front of the attorney who notarized it .  Most notarizations cost me between 50 and 100 pesos, but even the ones to transfer SEC shares and to transfer a car title which I had to pay 300-500 pesos for were still not signed  in front of the notary 

very correct we had a document about the car and the forwarder sent it over already notarized and stamped before we signed of course we did not sign as it said we were giving the fowarder our cargo free and clear so he could process our documents ,, i would not trust a notary here to easy to find one willing to break the rules  probably have to go with POA for the document 

Davaoeno

Smokey - ask Mimi if she wants a job . I need someone to import my suv for me 

smokey

Smokey - ask Mimi if she wants a job . I need someone to import my suv for me 

we would help you but we can do nothing with BIS and its them you need a permit from did you try them out its a lady lawyer in charge  ....the rest we can help with , 

SkyMan

There are idiots everywhere of course but I would assume when asked that question the realtor would be smart enough to ask the lender and/or title company, whoever is handling the closing.  They are the authority on what is or is not acceptable.

Davaoeno

its a lady lawyer in charge  

damn - and here I was thinking that I had a chance !!!