Sign in to follow this  
broden

Humba Tacos Are A Total Yes

broden

so yesterday i mentioned for new years eve dinner one of the things we were having was humba tacos .. some filipino mexican fusion we came up with

man they are good .. real good.. gonna have more today and my wife also plans to sometime very soon make more humba to replace the meat in gyros or shawarmas .. both really i expect those will be very good too

she made a very large amount of humba yesterday ... very tender.. and over night we let it sit in it's juices in the slow cooker set on super low so it is even more tender now.. shreds at the touch and very well seasoned 

we both looked at each other last night after we took a couple of bites and say almost together

yup this is going in to regular rotation 

Scottiev

ok I must ask ...humba?

broden

ok I must ask ...humba?

humba is generally a pork dish (we have done it with beef to though at times).. one of those filipino dishes that everyone eats but every family makes a bit differently but still recognizably

my wife is still sleeping so i don't have her recipe but think along the lines of adobo with just a touch of sweet to it

• Like 2

Scottiev

Nice.. sounds good. I'll ask the girlfriend about it in the morning..

tim

my wife cooks it , it's like a bad cut of pork, half meat half fat - cut in a cube shape  ...she loves it .... me  so-so

broden

my wife cooks it , it's like a bad cut of pork, half meat half fat - cut in a cube shape  ...she loves it .... me  so-so

yeah originally it was always fatty... but it doesn't have to be

Scottiev

my wife cooks it , it's like a bad cut of pork, half meat half fat

Well that describes about every cut of pork I have found here. Lol

But I just did a ham slice in the crock pot with peppers and homemade green sauce..served over rice for my girls..wasn't half bad.

• Like 2

tim
But I just did a ham slice in the crock pot with peppers and homemade green sauce..served over rice for my girls..wasn't half bad.

\\

did not feel like cooking (two bad football games) last night so we sliced some cold ham and put on dinner rolls with spicy mustard and peppers plus cookies, fresh fruit and watch the New Years come in on TV ....  stayed up till after 2 am to watch the celebrations from the East Coast to the West Coast, USA ... while watching highlights from around the world...  other than than the two suck ass football games ...a nice quiet New Years at home with family....

Edited by tim

Mikala

How about a recipe Broden (or anyone)?

Edited by Mikala

battleborn

I make adobo with pork here in Cebu, but I don't use the adobo cut because there is too much fat.  I pay a little more for the pork cubes.  I like to put a few peppers in it, don't like the sweet taste of humba.  When I make it with beef I put some potatoes in it.

shadow

so yesterday i mentioned for new years eve dinner one of the things we were having was humba tacos .. some filipino mexican fusion we came up with

man they are good .. real good.. gonna have more today and my wife also plans to sometime very soon make more humba to replace the meat in gyros or shawarmas .. both really i expect those will be very good too

she made a very large amount of humba yesterday ... very tender.. and over night we let it sit in it's juices in the slow cooker set on super low so it is even more tender now.. shreds at the touch and very well seasoned 

we both looked at each other last night after we took a couple of bites and say almost together

I have always eaten humba wrapped in a tortilla. Best way to eat it.

• Like 1

RogerDuMond

1 TBSP minced garlic

2 TBSP oil

1/2 kilo pork shank cut into 2 inch cubes

1 cup water

2 TBSP soy sauce

1/2 cup vinegar

2 TBSP brown sugar

1 tsp salt

1/2 TBSP oregano

1 bay leaf

1 heaping TBSP salted black beans

In a medium pot, saute garlic in oil until brown. Add pork and cook until brown. Combine water, soy sauce, vinegar, brown sugar, salt, oregano, bay leaf and black beans and add to pork. Cook over low heat until pork is tender.

• Like 1

ROVER

How about a recipe Broken (or anyone)?

This is our recipe for it...

HUMBA

1 kilo Humba Pork

Water 1 inch over meat

1/3 cup Soy sauce

¼ cup Brown sugar

2 large Bay leaf (Loral leaf)

1 tsp Black Pepper (whole-the round seed type)

Banana Heart to taste (about 5 or 6 pieces)

Couple whole anise seed

If you like sweeter you can use Sprite or 7up instead of water (but it will be very oily and sweet).

Onion to taste

Garlic to taste

Bell pepper to taste

broden

1 TBSP minced garlic

2 TBSP oil

1/2 kilo pork shank cut into 2 inch cubes

1 cup water

2 TBSP soy sauce

1/2 cup vinegar

2 TBSP brown sugar

1 tsp salt

1/2 TBSP oregano

1 bay leaf

1 heaping TBSP salted black beans

In a medium pot, saute garlic in oil until brown. Add pork and cook until brown. Combine water, soy sauce, vinegar, brown sugar, salt, oregano, bay leaf and black beans and add to pork. Cook over low heat until pork is tender.

ohh measurements.. my wife doesn't use them for this dish so 

balsamic vinegar .. my wife has found in her years in the states that she likes it better with this than white vinegar

brown sugar .. not tons probably 2 tablespoons give or take

filipino soy sauce

salt

pepper corns

water

pork 

if you like some msg if not no problem

crushed fresh garlic

she really just eyeballs with this dish.. but i could probably get her to give actual measurements if i told her how much meat.. but she's kinda busy right now so i just wanted a basic list of ingredients

oh i forgot to add .. she said.. " and simmer simmer simmer simmer"

NOSOCALPINOY

Yeah, that Humba recipe of pork and or shredded beef with re-fried beans with Spanish rice, tomato/green onion salsa, Jalapeno peppers, cilantro and sour cream would do nicely warped in a steamed soft wheat tortilla as a burrito or a deep fried hard corn taco shell! Grrrrrrreat! Thanks for the remainder! Now it's making me hungry for tacos or burritos! 

• Like 1