Sign in to follow this  
ILoveCyrus

Norwegian Lox (salt cured salmon)

ILoveCyrus

Calling all my Norwegian brothers on LINC.  In Cebu, we were invited to a home of a Norwegian lady, Maria.  She had the BEST food spread out on the table.

I absolutely love the smoked salmon, LOX, but it was new and different to me.  It was straight from Norway.  Let me describe it so someone can tell me what the proper name of it is.

Salt cured, not cooked.  Milk Chocolate in color (very cool) ...........melts in your mouth and ABSOLUTELY DELICIOUS.  Maria had alot of other goodies, but I sat right next to the LOX and ate it like a starved caveman.  Put it on crackers or bagel, spread with cream cheese or whatever.

So, my Norwegian brothers here.............what is that LOX called?  I know it is rare to find outside of Norway or Scandinavia.

Edited by ILoveCyrus
  • Like 2

ILoveCyrus

Fyi.....I've had LOX many times before.  But this Norwegian type was new to me.  I hope to get my paws on some SOON again...!!!

BOHOLTOR

Calling all my Norwegian brothers on LINC.  In Cebu, we were invited to a home of a Norwegian lady, Maria.  She had the BEST food spread out on the table.

I absolutely love the smoked salmon, LOX, but it was new and different to me.  It was straight from Norway.  Let me describe it so someone can tell me what the proper name of it is.

Salt cured, not cooked.  Milk Chocolate in color (very cool) ...........melts in your mouth and ABSOLUTELY DELICIOUS.  Maria had alot of other goodies, but I sat right next to the LOX and ate it like a starved caveman.  Put it on crackers or bagel, spread with cream cheese or whatever.

So, my Norwegian brothers here.............what is that LOX called?  I know it is rare to find outside of Norway or Scandinavia.

Salmon (eng) = Laks (norw)

Hy H

in Scadinavia mostly called :  Gravlax /  Kraavilohi in Finnish

BOHOLTOR

in Scadinavia mostly called :  Gravlax /  Kraavilohi in Finnish

No, thats very different. Gravlaks is not smoked.

ILoveCyrus

This is not smoked/cooked with heat.  It is just salt cured and has the "raw" consistency.  It is choco-mocha colored LOX......not the pink/orange color.

My first look and I didn't know what it was.  But one bite and I was HOOKED.

Hy H

Hy H, on 01 Jan 2015 - 12:39 AM, said: in Scadinavia mostly called :  Gravlax /  Kraavilohi in Finnish  

No, thats very different. Gravlaks is not smoked.

This is not smoked/cooked with heat.

Basically I think what you had was cold smoked Gravlax.  Preparation can vary a fair bit to apply spiciness’, colour and texture to one’s liking. 

BOHOLTOR

This is not smoked/cooked with heat.  It is just salt cured and has the "raw" consistency.  It is choco-mocha colored LOX......not the pink/orange color.

My first look and I didn't know what it was.  But one bite and I was HOOKED.

I dont know what you ate, but smoked salmon is cold-smoked (raw and pink). BTW, not LOX, but LAKS, (Sweeden - Lax)

• Like 1

BOHOLTOR

This is not smoked/cooked with heat.

Basically I think what you had was cold smoked Gravlax.  Preparation can vary a fair bit to apply spiciness’, colour and texture to one’s liking. 

hehe, who is norwegian here, you or me ? :P  I have never heard about "smoked gravlaks". Google it !  :) 

ILoveCyrus

haha....I'm an America so LOX it is in the US.  

But everyone, please:  re-LAX

• Like 2

Hy H

hehe, who is norwegian here, you or me ? :P  I have never heard about "smoked gravlaks". Google it !  :) 

No need to google it.  You have prepared fresh salmon for cold smoking?  If yes.  Do you salt cure it first in Norway?

ILoveCyrus

I dont know what you ate, but smoked salmon is cold-smoked (raw and pink). BTW, not LOX, but LAKS, (Sweeden - Lax)

I'll have to ask Maria about it.....

• Like 1

BOHOLTOR

No need to google it.  You have prepared fresh salmon for cold smoking?  If yes.  Do you salt cure it first in Norway?

Yes, done it many times. Salt cure first, then cold smoke. And salt salmon is NOT gravlaks (gravlax) I have also tried to cold-smoke fish and meet here in PI, but not good result coz too hot smoke.

Hy H

And salt salmon is NOT gravlaks (gravlax)

NO ?   You sure ?......Happy New year mate.. :goodnight:    

• Like 1

Shibumi

Where would you get bagels in Cebu? Even frozen ones (e.g. Lender's, Entemanns)?