Sign in to follow this  
batman2525

Oslob Whale Shark watching.

hyaku

Lol looking at the picture they are just babies. I guess no one is going to see anything decent unless you dive and a 20 meter one comes up to you and looks you in the eye. That had to be the most unforgettable experiences for me except for the blue ring octopus that sat on my hand!

• Like 2

TheMatrix

Leave it to the Jew boy....I didnt sell most of the hotels/motels in Orlando without some major negotiations....those guys down in Oslob will be a walk in the park.

It's not some hodge-podge operation where you are dealing with a street person.  It's an established government sanctioned business with many protocols and checks and balances.  Even if you offered 1 peso less, they won't budge.

This is similar to negotiating to enter DisneyWorld while you were in Orlando.  Did it work?  If you had some of that magic, you might be able to pull it off.  All power to you.  I just hope someone behind you is nice enough to see that you shortchanged those poor people, so that they will contribute a little extra to cover the loss.  

Edited by TheMatrix
  • Like 5

oztony

It's not some hodge-podge operation where you are dealing with a street person.  It's an established government sanctioned business with many protocols and checks and balances.  Even if you offered 1 peso less, they won't budge.

Let's not under estimate this yet Steve , as stated below Batman is taking 3 companions along as well

I will be going with 3 others. I will negotiate the price for us to that what the Filipinos pay.....otherwise I wont participate....nor will my companions.

imagesIKLFLV79.jpg

• Like 4

Davaoeno

Did anyone else see the SUN-Star article today ?  Apparently some foreigner tried to sneak into the Oslob whale shark refuge through the back side and was eaten [ apparently by a rogue whale shark].  I will post the link as soon as I figure out how to do so with my cp . 

• Like 7

batman2525

I just hope someone behind you is nice enough to see that you shortchanged those poor people, so that they will contribute a little extra to cover the loss.

No one is short changing anyone.....we wont be paying less than the locals pay....we will be paying the same,is there something you dont understand about this.I dont believe the entrance to this place is similar to that of Disney in Orlando.....which im sure you know is the worlds most popular vacation destination.

We are not intending to short change anyone...so you you should cease those accusations,we intend to pay what the F ilipino pays and not a penny more or less.

Based on your previous posts you are the one that has short changed me.

UPDATE....There is a total of 6 of us going now.

Mattnlenny

Can you imagine the embarrassment the "companions" must feel each time they go out in public!  What a stooge!

• Like 5

batman2525

Did anyone else see the SUN-Star article today ?  Apparently some foreigner tried to sneak into the Oslob whale shark refuge through the back side and was eaten [ apparently by a rogue whale shark].  I will post the link as soon as I figure out how to do so with my cp . 

That was one of my dedicated team I sent to scan the scene....he paid off one of the guys who let him in through the back door,hes back with us now and hes gonna be ok.....the whale shark let him go.

• Like 2

hyaku

Yese I saw it but cant find the link now. Apparently he was ripped to peices. They only ID'd him when they found a waterproof wallet stuffed with money and credit cards in the shredded clothes he had been wearing.

The government run operation has posed a "You will also be eaten" penalty on the offending rogue whale shark. If they can catch it!

• Like 1

riklynbor

I wont pay it,and its nothing to do with the money.......I cant see myself paving to pay more because I am a foreigner.

2 years ago on Olongo Island I was asked to pay more to go into the bird sanctuary.....when I asked the guy on the gate why I had to pay more he said.....because you can afford it.....I didnt pay and ended up going in for the filipino price.

I will go to Oslob and see what happens.....but I will not be paying foreigner price....if I dont see em,tough,no big deal.

I kinda agree with you there it sucks fine we can afford it but how about the billions of peso we already bring into the local economy I know I spent many millions over the years. I payed more vat that most locals in their lifetime already so now I am being over taxed again no sorry that is wrong. No local price here in Australia Same for locals and tourists. I would say take the money or miss out. I would pay more for a private boat if possible just for the principle.

• Like 2

oztony

Batman , this is the price list from the website , the only place I see a listed price difference between foreigner and Filipino is in the snorkelling add on section ,

What price do you expect to be paying , now that there are 6 of you is it Php 2,500.00 , or do you have a different figure in mind ? Or are you only intending on negotiating the snorkel component of this pricing structure , or the listed per person in the boat price?

Number of Person/s Price per Person Snorkeling Add on for all Package 1 person Php 6,000.00 plus Php 200. 00 per person for Local Guest
Php 500.00 per person for Foreign Guest
Inclusive use of snorkeling gears

Note: With or without own snorkeling gear will
still have to pay add on fee.
Whale shark watching (from the boat) vs snorkeling
with whale sharks have different ticket fees and
only whale shark watching (from the boat) is
included in the package.
2 people Php 3,750.00, 3 people Php 3,200.00, 4-6 people Php 2,500.00, 7-9 people Php 2,300.00, 10-14 people Php 1,800.00, 15 people and above Contact Us Child Rate Child 2 years old and below Free of charge but not included in the headcount Child 3 - 5 years old Less Php 300.00 Child above 5 years old Full Charge

http://www.oslobwhalesharks.com/oslob-whale-shark-tours-packages?utm_source=ows&utm_medium=navmenu&utm_campaign=onsite

• Like 2

Humboldt

UPDATE....There is a total of 6 of us going now

So you're  the leader of the sheep ,,, drag there ass down there , If your hair brain idea doesn't  work  you expect  a sensible adult  

to start stomping their feet in protest along with you ? ....Good luck .

• Like 3

Buko Beach

Here's a link of the FAQ's posted on the Oslob Whale Shark Watching Tourist Attraction Facebook page. I will cut and paste the FAQ's for those with slow internet speeds.

https://www.facebook.com/oslobwhalesharks

Oslob Whale Shark Watching - Frequently Asked Questions

April 20, 2014 at 10:52pm

How To Get There in Tan-awan Oslob?

◾For travelers that does not have service vehicles, go to the South Bus Terminal located along N. Bacalso St. Cebu City. Travelers with service vehicles can go directly bound to south of Cebu. See Oslob location info.

◾Take a Ceres or Sunrays Bus via Oslob. It takes 2.5-3 hours trip going to Brgy. Tan-awan Oslob. Fare will be: ◾Regular buses – Php 149.00

◾Airconditioned buses - Php 154.00

Where do we stop in Tan-awan Oslob?

If you ride a public bus, tell the bus conductor to drop you off at the Whale Shark Watching briefing area (left side of hiway). For private vehicles or taxis, you can see lots of roads signs as hint upon entering Oslob and barangay Tan-awan.

How long does it take to get from Cebu City to Oslob?

◾Public Buses – ± 4 hours

◾Taxis / Private Vehicles – ± 3 hours

Travel time will depend on the traffic situation in Cebu City, Talisay City, town of Minglanilla and Carcar city (towns and cities with heavier traffic on rush hour).

What is the schedule of whale shark watching?

Whale shark watching is open from 6:00am – 12:30pm everyday for whole year round except on Good Friday.

How much are the fees?

Fees for walk-in guest (regulated by the local government unit):

◾Watching (1 ticket is good for 30 mins) ◾Php 300.00 – Local guest (inclusive boat ride)

◾Php 500.00 – Foreign guest (inclusive boat ride)

◾Snorkeling (1 ticket is good for 30 mins) ◾Php 500.00 – Local guest (inclusive boat ride and snorkeling gears)

◾Php 1, 000. 00 – Foreign guest (inclusive boat ride and snorkeling gears)

◾Scuba Diving (1 ticket is good for 1 hour) ◾Php 600.00 – Local guest (diving gears are not included)

◾Php 1, 500. 00 – Foreign guest (diving gears are not included)

Do I need to make a reservation?

No for walk in guest, first come first serve basis is followed. You only need to make a reservation from us if you avail our private tour package.

Are there restaurants and room accommodation in the area?

Yes there are few restaurants that offers variety of Filipino dishes and some are foreign cuisine. For room accommodation reservation and rates please visit www.oslobwhalesharks.com/resorts

Are there any tourist spots in Oslob that we can visit?

Yes, namely:

◾Sumilon Island

◾Tumalog Falls

◾Cuartel

◾Immaculate Concepcion Church

◾Baluarte

What are the rules and guidelines in watching whale sharks?

◾All whale shark watchers must undergo orientation at the Briefing Center on the rules for interaction with whale sharks

◾No feeding of whale sharks by unauthorized personnel

◾Do not touch, ride, or chase a whale shark

◾Do not restrict normal movement or behavior of the shark

◾Do not use flash photography

◾Do not create splash when entering the water.

◾Do not wear sunscreen if you are going to enter the water.

◾Motor boats are prohibited in the area. Only paddle boats are allowed.

◾Viewing is limited to 30 minutes

◾Maintain a minimum distance of 5m from the head, 6m from the tail (this differs from the 2m from the head, and 5m from the tail stated in the ordinance)

What type of clothes do we need to wear?

There are no rules that specifies on what to wear, as long as you are comfortable with your outfit however swim wear is better especially if you go snorkeling.

What do we need to bring?

◾Extra Clothes

◾Swim wear (not required)

◾Towel

◾Underwater Camera

Is accommodation included in the package?

Our Oslob day tours does not includes hotel or resort accommodation (unless specifically stated in the tour package inclusions). However, we can create a custom package including accommodation based on your request.

Are there underwater cameras for rent?

Yes, there are underwater cameras for rent in the site for P500 that includes unlimited photos and tip to the boat man who will take pictures. You can transfer photos to your USB or memory card for free or pay P50 to burn photos in CD.

I have my own snorkeling gears, do I still need to pay P500(local) or P1,000 (foreigner)?

Absolutely yes, with or without own snorkeling gears will still have to pay the snorkeling ticket fee as described in above rates.

What day is the best time to see the whale sharks? and what time do we need to be in Oslob?

Weekdays is better than weekends to avoid crowd, best time to see the whale sharks is between 7am-9am.

By: Island Trek Tours

So batman, as you can see if you don't take the LGU orientation seminar you will not be allowed in the water and even foreigners that have their own snorkel gear pay the full 1000php price to swim with the sharks.

I'm sure the locals and guides in charge of the whale feeding there have seen it all when it comes to kuripot people (both locals and foreigners) that try to find a way to get around things and swim with the sharks for free. They will be ready for ya.

Edited by Buko Beach
  • Like 6

A_Simple_Man

Yese I saw it but cant find the link now. Apparently he was ripped to peices. They only ID'd him when they found a waterproof wallet stuffed with money and credit cards in the shredded clothes he had been wearing.

The government run operation has posed a "You will also be eaten" penalty on the offending rogue whale shark. If they can catch it!

I am sure Hyaku can remember Geoff (a friend from the past, may he R.I.P)  He was so cheap he would have gone to the whale watching with 6 companions and raised enough shite that his companions would pay his whole entrance fee and their own too, at foreigner prices, just to stop the embarrassment.  I wonder if Batman is related. :cool:

• Like 6

Davaoeno

So you're  the leader of the sheep ,,, drag there ass down there , If your hair brain idea doesn't  work  you expect  a sensible adult  

to start stomping their feet in protest along with you ? ....Good luck .

are the other 5 people aware of your posts here ?  and to the responses ?

• Like 1

Jawny

http://www.moalboal.net/moalboal/images/pdf/oslob-full-en.pdf

http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/03/12/us-philippines-whalesharks-idUSBRE92B0CN20130312

http://www.sunstar.com.ph/cebu/opinion/2012/04/09/cabaero-oslob-fees-215478

I thought these stories in the news and a pdf summary of the concerns about tourism of this sort might be of interest. I'm not advocating any sort of end to the sightseeing/tourism of these creatures. I'm a scuba diver and have always gotten a great deal of enjoyment experiencing the world of creatures like this.

I suspect batsman will be successful in the effort to avoid the foreigner tariff. Good for him if he does so. Aside from the gratification that he was able to avoid the unfairness of the ticket prices, not sure what is gained. But, pride is pride and .....well, not sure what to say.

I do hope the trip is good and all enjoy the outing. Good luck.

• Like 1