Sign in to follow this  
batman2525

Oslob Whale Shark watching.

Davaoeno

Joking...... Mr tough guy.

not big on sarcasm are you ??  lighten up a bit- maybe your underwear is too tight ??

• Like 3

austwin

GREAT MINDS THINK ALIKE.

GREAT MINDS THINK ALIKE.       You mean the 2 of you !!!! Great Scott....Wholly huge assumption batman!!!! 

I will still head off to Oslob in 2 weeks and I will pay what ever the price is for me and what ever the price is for my cebuana companion ...and hopefully it will be a great experience.

My take on it is, the price is discounted for some (for good reason) and a regular price for others.

You can call your stand on it "the principal" of the matter if you like ......But I would call it something very different to that!!!.. :twocents::db:  

• Like 2

Scottiev

I suppose it all comes down to what gives you satisfaction in your life. When I get old and grey I can look back at what a terrific experience it was to swim with such awesome creatures and Batman can look back and be happy those lowlife ,scumbag ,overcharging pricks didn't do him up for a couple extra dollars !!!

I'm thinking I got the better deal for $10 whole dollars ,but what do I know eh?

• Like 7

batman2525

I will still head off to Oslob in 2 weeks and I will pay what ever the price is for me and what ever the price is for my cebuana companion .

Good for you.....I dont give a toss what you pay......and you shouldnt care what the Batman pays.

batman2525

GREAT MINDS THINK ALIKE. You mean the 2 of you !!!! Great Scott....Wholly huge assumption batman!!!!

But Paul owns the forum.....and he has a great mind....Like me.

batman2525

maybe your underwear is too tight ??

It is actually......I just had a massage and she gave me a wedgie......Oh,yes I did tip her.

• Like 1

Paul

Let's stay on topic and keep the personal (even indirect) comments toward others, to ourselves.

Paul

well that makes 2 of you who feel that way .   I guess batman wont be seeing any whale sharks anytime soon - or many other things also .  In this country or in many other countries.  But at least batman has the consolation of knowing every time he is sitting outside an attraction because he wont pay to go in he can always say to himself " Paul isnt here to see them either! "  

In most cases, when it comes down to paying for an item or service, there are cases where you will eventually pay what the locals pay. 

Once, many years ago now, JJ (former wife) and I were living in Dumaguete City. This would have been before we were married. We were at the local public market looking around for things to buy. If you are familiar with the little hand made lanterns, which are constructed from old Tanduay bottles and cans, I had one of those in my hands. I had been looking at it, one of the first ones for me see at that time. 

Anyway, while I had the little lantern in my hand, JJ had said something to me, which turned my attention away from the lantern, the table, and the lady behind the table who was waiting to see what I wanted to purchase from her. During the entire time JJ and I were talking, the lady was calling out prices. I forget now how much she originally wanted. But, simply by ignoring her - not intentionally I may add, she did my negotiating for me. She kept coming down on the price, probably four or five times, before I finally just set the little lantern down and walked away. (I felt bad afterward, and now wish I had purchased it from her.) 

Either way, she finally got down to the "locals" price for the item, although she had started much higher, at the "long nose" price. 

In another case, we drove up to Tops one afternoon, to show someone, I guess a visitor or friend from the US at the time, the view from there overlooking the area. I arrived at the little guard house where they collect your entry fees. They had one price for "residents" and one price for "visitors". They assumed I wasn't a resident, until I showed them my Philippine Driver's License. I got in at the local resident's price. 

• Like 1

oztony

I have been banned off of this thread once , but allowed back in So I will give a subdued response , so as to keep the peace.

The OP asked for information in regards to whale watching in Oslob , and expressed concern at paying more than locals from the very outset ,

a host of responses have been given in regards to this but his mind is made up. Fair enough , his decision , his money .

What is disconcerting is his attitude and general demeanour towards the whole thing , whereas I do understand

people wanting fair , across the board pricing , something like this maybe deserves a bit of leeway . Is it possible that they have the pricing structure the way it is

so that local people may too experience this attraction , instead of just saying ok , 1000php for all who want to participate ? I guess when certain people have a locked mindset , that these considerations are not entertained . Below is the dolphin and whale watching price list in Bais , Negros Oriental , which to me , makes the Oslob pricing look absolutely reasonable , foreigner or local alike

Two hours north of Antulang is Bais, a genteel city known for its sprawling sugar plantations and Spanish-era ancestral homes, now famous for its resident dolphins.  From Capinahan Wharf on Bais Bay, a 30-minute boat ride takes you to Tanon Strait, a natural habitat for numerous species of dolphins and if you’re really lucky, migratory pygmy killer whales. 

Best done between the months of March to November, we recommend you take the best seat in the house:  sit at the boat’s bow and dangle your legs--you’ll have dolphins literally at your feet!

No. of Persons

Rate / Person

1                                  10,135.00

2                                    5,235.00

3                                    3,601.67    

4                                    2,785.00

5                                    2,295.00

6                                    1,968.33

7                                    1,735.00

8                                    1,560.00

9                                    1,423.89

10                                  1,315.00

11                                  1,553.18

12                                  1,451.67

13                                  1,365.77

14                                  1,292.14

15                                  1,228.33

16                                  1,172.50

17                                  1,123.24

18                                  1,079.44

19                                  1,040.26

20                                  1,005.00

21                                  1,211.19

22                                  1,171.36

23                                  1,135.00

24                                  1,101.67

25                                  1,071.00

1. -15 or 20 seater boat courtesy of Bais City Tourism

2. -land transfers (Antulang-Bais-Antulang)

3. -packed lunch

4. -side trip to Manjuyod white sandbar

5. -guide and spotter

• Like 3

ozboy

Better still, combine a holiday in WA, Oz and swim with the sharks for free..

• Like 2

hyaku

This topic has turned into a peso brawl yet what people who dont dive should really be doing is lookingup facts to find out how bad it is to feed whale sharks. They feed the fish off Langkawi Malaysia and they get so used to being fed they cant forage for themselves and die when the tourists leave. Same happened to a hand fed school of batfish on Tioman Island.

• Like 4

TheMatrix

Well, like I wrote in previous posts, its entirely okay to have a "locals" discounted rate.  It happens all the time in the States with everything from Amusement parks, Hunting & Fishing, even Government ran National parks.

The local people should have the privilege of a less expensive experience BECAUSE it's their land.

I often hear about White Privilege on television, and I think there may be some merit to it as we'll grown accustom to getting everything "our way".

• Like 2

shadow

11 years ago the wife and I thought we would go to Apo island. When we got to the place to get in the boat, the sign said;

Filipino P25

Foreigner P700

We turned around and left, never got out of the truck. To this day we still have not been to Apo, which we can almost see from our house. That's about to change, but we will be taking our own boat. There is still fees to use the preserves once we get there, equal to about half what it cost for a foreigner to go on the public trans banca.

I get the feeling though, from the OP and comments made thereafter, that this is not going to be such a quiet negotiation. From the unbending attitude he displayed, this is likely to turn into one of those scenarios that makes all the rest of us look bad, part of what has destroyed this place for some of us. Part of the changing attitude among the Filipinos that many of us have felt.

What the OP does not understand (or care) is that the prices are not set by the person who rows the boat, owns the boat, or the tour operator, the prices are set by the municipality in line with Department of Tourism guidelines, and include marine preserve fees, boat fees, salary, etc. In order to get his discount he will have to talk to the mayor, or find someone willing to be dishonest for him in order to get rid of him, make the problem go away. This person may risk his job and livelihood that feeds his family in order to keep him from making an ugly scene.

How fair is that?

If I thought for one minute he would not make a scene there, I would be all for it, but the attitude he has displayed leads me to believe that will not be the case.

The Department of Tourism tries hard to get more locals to travel, as they know most never get more than a few KM from home, and they never see any of this beautiful country. However, if the locals had to pay fees in line with the wealthy, only the rich would ever get to see the Whale Sharks, Apo, etc.

• Like 9

A_Simple_Man

Larry has a way with words and facts that put him on my top ten list of posters I like to read.  So as an aside, why not get work as a writer for one of the millions of sites out there that need content?  Someone out there will pay you for that kind of writing skill.

• Like 1

shadow

Larry has a way with words and facts that put him on my top ten list of posters I like to read.  So as an aside, why not get work as a writer for one of the millions of sites out there that need content?  Someone out there will pay you for that kind of writing skill.

At one time I liked to write. I got half way through writing three different books, and then lost them all due to hard drive/floppy disk failures. I don't like to write much any more.

That being said, if I wind up with a bunch of free time on my hands, I am going to try to write a book once again...

About the Ella Joy Pique case.

Unfortunately, like John Grisham's only non fiction work "An Innocent Man", probably nobody will believe it anyway.

P.S. One of my favorite writers that once in a while will grace us with his wit, is Ned!

Edited by shadow