Sign in to follow this  
batman2525

Oslob Whale Shark watching.

batman2525

Shooting off to see the Whale Shark next week.....any tips or Dos or Donts?

Ive noticed on certain websites  that they have Foreigner and Filipino prices with some big increases in prices if your a foreigner......something I frown upon.

Any reccomendations on hotels etc?

Thanks.

A_Simple_Man

Foreigner and Filipino prices with some big increases in prices if your a foreigner......something I frown upon.

And yet, you are heading over to do it anyway and perpetuate the foreigner price system.  Only way to beat it is to boycott it.

• Like 5

Wolfpack

Shooting off to see the Whale Shark next week.....any tips or Dos or Donts?

Ive noticed on certain websites  that they have Foreigner and Filipino prices with some big increases in prices if your a foreigner......something I frown upon.

Any reccomendations on hotels etc?

Thanks.

bring a filipina with you that you trust?

dont take a taxi...take a ceres bus...some serious savings right there...

batman2525

Thanks,I do plan on taking a bus......but I do not plan on paying 300 pesos more than a filipino to see the whale shark.

TheMatrix

but I do not plan on paying 300 pesos more than a filipino to see the whale shark.

The cost is 500 pesos before you even get in the water.

I was just there a few days ago and here are my tips:

Go on a nice day when the water is settled.  Don't go within 2-3 days of a storm as the water will be murky and visibility low.

Take an underwater camera

We hired a local tour guide for 900 pesos that chaperoned us around.  The falls were actually more fun than the whale sharks.  Tour guide was very good and recommended.  Let me know if you want the contact number.

You must be there by 7am to swim with the whale sharks that day.  Everything closes by 11am.

• Like 3

Jawny

The additional cost for foreigners can also be thought of as a reduced price for locals. The intent may not to be to rip off the foreigners, but rather to increase the likelihood of locals coming to the activity.

I stay in hotels here which offer a discount for locals. Not just filipinos, but local residents. Sometimes I pay full price if the rooms are not available at the reduced rate. Again, the intent is to get the locals to use the hotel and keep the place full.

If you've come a long way to have a vacation, it would be a shame to miss an opportunity such as this over a relatively small amount.

Pretty sure this is done in other countries, not just something that happens here.

I'd suggest you take advantage of the chance to see the whale sharks now. There have been efforts to stop this sort of tourism out of fears the animals are harmed by the activities.

• Like 3

bmoore

If you dive it is worth taking tanks and reg, you can get some great shots from below the whale sharks. It is only about 15-30 feet deep. At the very least take fins, they are pretty quick. I got some good video looking up of my wife feeding the shark from a banka.

Take a van with some friends so you have plenty of room and are comfortable. Get there early.

Take plenty of food and have a nice picnic after you are done.

When I went there I was staying in Moalboal.  Several of us were diving, a couple snorkeled and some of the girls were in the boat.

• Like 1

TheMatrix

If you dive it is worth taking tanks and reg, you can get some great shots from below the whale sharks.

I  didn't see anyone else with tanks and dive gear.  They take you out on crowded banka boats, and you have a 30min limit.

• Like 1

bmoore

I  didn't see anyone else with tanks and dive gear.  They take you out on crowded banka boats, and you have a 30min limit.

It has been about two years since I have been there. They may be more strict now because of complaints that the sharks were being harassed. Then there were the bankas, snorkelers and divers. There was also a live-aboard sailboat moored nearby.

shadow

Thanks,I do plan on taking a bus......but I do not plan on paying 300 pesos more than a filipino to see the whale shark.

Then you simply will not be seeing the Whale Sharks. You will either resign yourself to pay the price or don't bother going.

• Like 8

batman2525

Then you simply will not be seeing the Whale Sharks. You will either resign yourself to pay the price or don't bother going.

I wont pay it,and its nothing to do with the money.......I cant see myself paving to pay more because I am a foreigner.

2 years ago on Olongo Island I was asked to pay more to go into the bird sanctuary.....when I asked the guy on the gate why I had to pay more he said.....because you can afford it.....I didnt pay and ended up going in for the filipino price.

I will go to Oslob and see what happens.....but I will not be paying foreigner price....if I dont see em,tough,no big deal.

TheMatrix

I wont pay it,and its nothing to do with the money.......I cant see myself paving to pay more because I am a foreigner.

2 years ago on Olongo Island I was asked to pay more to go into the bird sanctuary.....when I asked the guy on the gate why I had to pay more he said.....because you can afford it.....I didnt pay and ended up going in for the filipino price.

I will go to Oslob and see what happens.....but I will not be paying foreigner price....if I dont see em,tough,no big deal.

You won't see them then.

I don't see the big deal with a higher foreigner price... most every country does it.

This is their country. This is their land.  The native people should get a discount.  We are the guests.  What right do we have to demand we have the same privilege as a citizen?  We should be paying much more because we don't have rights here to their land.  

On my vineyard, I will give a discount to the family and friends for events such as weddings, etc.  But, outsiders, including those that live outside the county, definitely tourists, will pay full boat.  That goes for the wine too!

Scottiev

I don't get bent at foreigner prices for SOME things.. hell we do the same in the states.. instate vs out of state college tuitions , locals night at many resturants , many hotels will give a discount with a instate ID , State and National park fees , Amusments parks.. its a normal practice

• Like 6

TheMatrix

I don't get bent at foreigner prices for SOME things.. hell we do the same in the states.. instate vs out of state college tuitions , locals night at many restaurants , many hotels will give a discount with a instate ID , State and National park fees , Amusments parks.. its a normal practice

Will be taking my kids to Walt Disney World in Florida this summer.  I understand I will be paying almost double the entrance price because I am not a local... and I'm perfectly okay with it.... unless I can think of a way to secure a Florida drivers license beforehand... heehee.  :-)

• Like 2

batman2525

This is their country. This is their land. The native people should get a discount. We are the guests. What right do we have to demand we have the same privilege as a citizen? We should be paying much more because we don't have rights here to their land.

When Filipinos go to other countries such as the U.S or UK they dont pay higher prices for things that citizens of those countries pay for...they pay the same price.

Foreigners coming to the Philippines dont demand that they should have the same privilidges as Filipinos...how could they,they arnt citizens....we just want to pay a fair price...the same price as the filipino.

• Like 3