• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• smokey

• Monsoon

• Davaoeno

• jtmwatchbiz

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Well thats not totally correct .  I am owed over 40M by one Chinese Real Estate scammer and have already filed a case against her for estafa [ which I lost ].  Now she is threatening to get me deporte

As much as I have had problems here I do not agree with some things that the OP said . Yes, in this culture  many/most? people are less worried about morals and honor and more worried about making mon

It is true that business is tough here. Business is tough everywhere. But it is not impossible to make money here, one just has to adjust to the way business is done here. Find a niche, and fill it. S

Posted Images

Well for those who have been living in the PI for many years you know what I will stir up is valid and accurate.  Those that are new you probably will think otherwise, so be it.

I have been going to the PI for more than 10 years now.  I have attempted to participate in several ventures however they all have gone south, I have also purchased a condo and after that I now realize that I should of just rented a place vs buy.  The Filipinos are almost impossible to do business and for every success story of business there are hundreds of bad stories that follow. 

I wont bother to elaborate but I would like to offer a tip guide:

1.  do not ever expect standards that we hold up to in the USA, everything is substandard in the PI

2.  If a Filipinos says yes and shakes their head is a yes gesture dont be fooled this does not mean yes at all, it means they are kinda listening with no promises

3.  General rule if they are talking and their lips are moving then they are most likley telling a lie

4.  If they show up late for a meeting just cancel it and tell them you are no longer interested that is the first warning of a bad business relationship

5.  Filipino men generally just need red horse and cock fights nothing more so dont offer any more.  Most are dirt bags and lazy to the bone

6.  The ultimate goal of a Filipino man is to take your money with a big smile - money only flows one way :)

7.  Guys that say they are making money there BS they are not dont let them fool u

Bottom line is dont do business there, the women and beaches are the only reasons why you should be there....

Sorry to learn of your difficulties. Good that you have learned from the experience and share your views.

I've not purchased a condo, so I can't comment on that. However, I have had several business experiences, but on a smaller scale.

I have had a bakery for many years and so far it has been successful and provides an income as well as employment for around 20 people. In my view, it is very possible to be successful in business.

As well, I have purchased several properties.

I have had to go to court on one occasion over a property dispute, but the legal system worked just fine. We used mediation to eliminate the need for a judgement.

I have to agree with a previous post which suggests eliminating the "philippines" references and your list will apply to many other locations.

There will be assholes wherever it comes to money. I've had several instances of loans being made with the recipient never intending to repay. Not sure this is unique to the Philippines.

I found your description of the "yes" gesture amusing. This is true on a lot of Asian cultures. It seems that the response "yes" is so much more pleasant than a "NO!". Once you realize this is so common, it makes it easier to deal with negotiations.

The rest of your generalizations are a bit much. Sorry that it is only beaches and women that you find attractive here.

• Like 5
SomeRandomGuy

I am wondering which beach u think is good?

Imagine a world in which we are all enlightened by objective truths rather than offended by them

• Like 5
liquido

Well thats not totally correct .  I am owed over 40M by one Chinese Real Estate scammer and have already filed a case against her for estafa [ which I lost ].  Now she is threatening to get me deported rather than pay me [ on the basis that my gf who owned most of the company shares was a dummy and so I broke the law and should be deported ].  My attorney also was warned by her engineer that she intended to have me killed [ on the basis that its cheaper to pay a couple of guys with a motorcycle 20,000 than to pay me the 40M that I am owed ]  And I cant raise any cash since all the lots and houses which I was to be given as part of our deal she refuses to hand over the titles.  Go to court you say ??? hahahah  what a joke that is . She figures if she stalls long enough I will die before the case is ever decided by any court here ! 

So  I wouldnt claim that I am doing  fine in business here hahaha 

[ oh did I mention that my ex gf who I totally trusted had secret bank accounts and managed to scam me out of almost 1 M [ with the help of my foreman and a couple of his workers ], and now that she cant scam any more money out of me has offered to help the Chinese scammer to Feck me out of everything else i own here ?  ] .   

Btw I dont whine about this stuff here because it wont do the least bit of good [ but will surely depress me even more !!  haha]  .   So I just get on with my life as best I can .   If I had to do it over again would I invest in the Philippines? not a hope in hell .  

I was thinking of meeting you for lunch in Davao,hope you understand i changed my mind...hehe

Davaoeno

I was thinking of meeting you for lunch in Davao,hope you understand i changed my mind...hehe

hehe  we just have to watch out for motorcycles !!

• Like 3

my wive and me having a business, it does about 1200-1600 dollar per month, and after all cost probably 400-800 dollar net.

we do not live in the Philippines and have our business run by her best friend and her brother,..

so far so good.., it has been running for about 2 years..

we started very small,(before i decided to plunge into this venture) mostly to teach them how run a business and deal with extra income, making certain decisions and get some ''PH'' thinking out of them..

(like, if u invest 1000 dollar, after a while it pays back, and not thinking a 1000 dollar is to much...and then not invest, hence not improve on the business..)

we could make more, but then i would get stressed..

currently i do not need the money, as i work oversea, but it is designed as a sweetener for when we retire.

there was a very large initial investment do make this happening. 

we had few other business deals, they all failed..this has costed probably 10.000 dollar over the years..

it is possible.., u need luck, and for now we have...this could be over anytime..i do realise that!!

and please do not ask what we do, as i will not reveal ... i like to stay anonymous  on this forum,(for most) and also in business..it's better like that for now.

• Like 4
  • Triple Diamond Sponsor
Monsoon

.. and yes some foreigners get a pass but no one rides for free

Tell me about it. The BIR has their hands out all the time...

But when you fall under PEZA you get a semi-free ride... Its even free to leave! 

If most Filipino men are dirt bags and lazy to the bone, why are so many in demand as OFW's?

• Like 1
cvgtpc1

my wive and me having a business, it does about 1200-1600 dollar per month, and after all cost probably 400-800 dollar net.

we do not live in the Philippines and have our business run by her best friend and her brother,..

currently i do not need the money, as i work oversea, but it is designed as a sweetener for when we retire.

Are the net proceeds being deposited into an account only your wife and you can withdraw from?  Nice to have that piling up and waiting for you when you retire.

mikewright

I have also purchased a condo and after that I now realize that I should of just rented a place vs buy.

Hi my72nova, is your recommendation that people don't purchase a condo? Just interested in your reasons, as I know several people considering buying a condo.

Mikala

Hi my72nova, is your recommendation that people don't purchase a condo? Just interested in your reasons, as I know several people considering buying a condo.

There's quite a bit of discussions on the pros and cons of buying a condo in the Philippines. I bought a micro-condo in Cebu (still under construction) and regret buying it. Unfortunately I bought it before joining LinC and reading the threads on buying a condo. Perhaps start a new topic if you cannot find the information?

I wont bother to elaborate but I would like to offer a tip guide:

1.  do not ever expect standards that we hold up to in the USA, everything is substandard in the PI

2.  If a Filipinos says yes and shakes their head is a yes gesture dont be fooled this does not mean yes at all, it means they are kinda listening with no promises

3.  General rule if they are talking and their lips are moving then they are most likley telling a lie

4.  If they show up late for a meeting just cancel it and tell them you are no longer interested that is the first warning of a bad business relationship

5.  Filipino men generally just need red horse and cock fights nothing more so dont offer any more.  Most are dirt bags and lazy to the bone

6.  The ultimate goal of a Filipino man is to take your money with a big smile - money only flows one way :)

7.  Guys that say they are making money there BS they are not dont let them fool u

Bottom line is dont do business there, the women and beaches are the only reasons why you should be there....

This post looks VERY racist towards Filipinos.

Imagine if someone wrote the same thing for foreiginers how upset everyone would be !

If you are a loser in business here, no reason to blame it on Filipinos, just accept you are a loser and are meant to work for someone else the rest of your life !

There's quite a bit of discussions on the pros and cons of buying a condo in the Philippines. I bought a micro-condo in Cebu (still under construction) and regret buying it. Unfortunately I bought it before joining LinC and reading the threads on buying a condo. Perhaps start a new topic if you cannot find the information?

Condos in my opinion are the best business investments a foreigner can make in the Philippines for someone who has a lot of extra cash laying around and has nothing else to do with it !

• Like 2
smokey

As much as I have had problems here I do not agree with some things that the OP said . Yes, in this culture  many/most? people are less worried about morals and honor and more worried about making money - yours if possible. But that is not universally true of all people here. I have met some people that I do trust . And they have never disappointed me . 

I realize now that many people here have different values than are common in the west.  Here many more people dont think twice about out and out lying to you - or their families - or themselves.  That which we see as the norm and a valued trait is sadly lacking in much of this culture.  When someone borrows money from us and then just avoids us we take it very personally and get all pissed off, but to many pinoys that is just the way life here is conducted, and if you expected to get repaid then you are the abnormal one !! hehehe

So what do you do ?  you proceed with baby steps, and absolutely never trust anyone or what they say until they prove to you that they can really be trusted .  [ of course that was my downfall - a very senior attorney here in Davao became my best friend and after awhile referred me to another of his clients to invest with . A client who he assured me that I could trust.  It was only after things went all sideways that I learned that he had a 25% share in the deal ..  So I got conned - and very well so .  But I have been conned before - and it was in the west .  I might come across as a hardass on Linc but in business I have a very strong moral creed, and I forget sometimes that not everyone else feels the same way that I do .And that makes me an easy victim at times .   But I wont let it stop me from investing here.  But of course in much smaller terms [ since the scammer has most of my money tied up already !!  But I have not given up hope of recovering my money - I just hope i can live long enough to do so ! 

That is what my wife said its the way if someone scams or lies and gets your money that's just life and they don't get upset and better for them if YOU represent a group that enjoys lots of funds... ITs like a job a professional scammer is just like a car mech.. or store manager just doing his chosen job and he DID not steal the money in their eyes he talked a person out of it so its all good , we on the other hand think scamming is stealing while they don't always feel that way ,, to many robin hood movies I guess

• Like 4
mikewright

No, was just interested in OP's reason, whether he had been ripped off, as he was the one who said he would have been better off to rent than buy.

• Like 1