DOING BUSINESS IN THE PI - WATCH OUT

Skywalker

It's entirely possible to make a small fortune here.

But you have to start with a big one.

I'm surprised I was the first to post this old proverb!

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• smokey

• Monsoon

• Davaoeno

• jtmwatchbiz

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Well thats not totally correct .  I am owed over 40M by one Chinese Real Estate scammer and have already filed a case against her for estafa [ which I lost ].  Now she is threatening to get me deporte

As much as I have had problems here I do not agree with some things that the OP said . Yes, in this culture  many/most? people are less worried about morals and honor and more worried about making mon

It is true that business is tough here. Business is tough everywhere. But it is not impossible to make money here, one just has to adjust to the way business is done here. Find a niche, and fill it. S

Posted Images

TheMatrix

I suspect you went into business here merely as an investor, aka absentee owner... which is a big no-no.

• Like 1
burnttoast

I suspect you went into business here merely as an investor, aka absentee owner... which is a big no-no.

Even 100% Filipino owned businesses will fall apart if the owners choose to be hands off.

• Like 2
jtmwatchbiz

I was scammed on a business deal once for 1,000 us the front payment

OH MY GOD!!! YOU GOT SCAMMED IN THE PHILIPPINES OUT OF $1000 DOLLARS???

puhleeeeeze...gimme a break.

you're still wet behind the ears until you get boinked out of a few million like us real men. trick is to win more than lose but to do that one must stay in the game.

• Like 3

I'm surprised I was the first to post this old proverb!

You are not.....I have seen several on this forum post it........ :rose:

Well for those who have been living in the PI for many years you know what I will stir up is valid and accurate.  Those that are new you probably will think otherwise, so be it.

I have been going to the PI for more than 10 years now.  I have attempted to participate in several ventures however they all have gone south, I have also purchased a condo and after that I now realize that I should of just rented a place vs buy.  The Filipinos are almost impossible to do business and for every success story of business there are hundreds of bad stories that follow. 

I wont bother to elaborate but I would like to offer a tip guide:

1.  do not ever expect standards that we hold up to in the USA, everything is substandard in the PI

2.  If a Filipinos says yes and shakes their head is a yes gesture dont be fooled this does not mean yes at all, it means they are kinda listening with no promises

3.  General rule if they are talking and their lips are moving then they are most likley telling a lie

4.  If they show up late for a meeting just cancel it and tell them you are no longer interested that is the first warning of a bad business relationship

5.  Filipino men generally just need red horse and cock fights nothing more so dont offer any more.  Most are dirt bags and lazy to the bone

6.  The ultimate goal of a Filipino man is to take your money with a big smile - money only flows one way :)

7.  Guys that say they are making money there BS they are not dont let them fool u

Bottom line is dont do business there, the women and beaches are the only reasons why you should be there....

All of the above couldn't be further from the truth, you keep forgetting you're not in kansas,

You expect to run a business in the philippines and everyone else has to play by your rules and understand your culture?. No wonder you lost.

Investment time to understand the culture and the game before start playing - otherwise you'll loose.

When you understand the game and the rules, then be smarter and work harder than everyone else and you'll do just fine here.

• Like 2
Skywalker

You are not.....I have seen several on this forum post it........

hahaha....yes.

I meant in this specific thread.

When you understand the game and the rules, then be smarter and work harder than everyone else and you'll do just fine here.

There are rules?   Shifting sands my friend.   This place has more resemblance to the Wild West than a level playing field.

• Like 3
SomeRandomGuy

hahaha....yes.

There are rules? Shifting sands my friend. This place has more resemblance to the Wild West than a level playing field.

This is very true imo.

Bah humbug

• Like 1

hahaha....yes.

There are rules?   Shifting sands my friend.   This place has more resemblance to the Wild West than a level playing field.

There is a lot of customs or cultural rules which most foreigners dont get or wish to follow, including me.

Expecting the sand to shift is a good start not to get screwed over :).

• Like 1
ellenbrook2001

i have been solicited to have business here never ever what the gentlemen did  say i do agree at 100%  some did say they are making money but never show it???? better have a business on line you are in control that my opinion.

oztony

You know there are major issues with thought processes , people want to try a business here , and hell ,

charities can't even give stuff for free without it winding up in the wrong hands

Fit in with the culture ? No thanks , a sure disaster to wind up like the millions of other local bankrupted businesses ,

you have to do it your way , if you are going to do it someone elses way you may as well just give them your money straight up ,

28 years of being self employed and running my own businesses has taught me that advice from others is usually geared around to

suit their agenda and benefit , make your own decisions , laterally and unemotionally , and be aware of your surroundings , be competitive .

Edited by oztony
  • Like 7
rainymike

I don't necessarily agree with the OP's tips about filipinos, but I would have to chime in and say that I probably won't ever do business in this country.

1. the learning curve is too steep for me: at my age, I wouldn't want to waste my time learning the ropes, building the connections, etc. 

2. I keep my social circle tight. I trust these people and wouldn't do business with them. Just a policy I've held all my life about not doing business with family or close friends.

3. I do want to lay the foundation for my kids though. And will do that with stealth. Building assets small and slowly. 

4. And I'd take the long multi-generational view. I don't want to be the enterpreneur, but I can help my kids move in that direction if they are so inclined and capable. They also have some well-placed relatives in Cebu, so there may be someone to help open doors as well.

Other than that. No thanks. Most small businesses fail in America for obvious reasons. In this country, I'd be a clueless wannabe. But my kids - they may find a different environment through their social and familial circles.

• Like 5
smokey

OH MY GOD!!! YOU GOT SCAMMED IN THE PHILIPPINES OUT OF $1000 DOLLARS???

puhleeeeeze...gimme a break.

you're still wet behind the ears until you get boinked out of a few million like us real men. trick is to win more than lose but to do that one must stay in the game.

I did guy was slick the 1,000 was good faith money for some job he had the contract on already he came over looking for 10,000 more and by then I told the wife and she called some family members and they meet the guys out front of the house turns out they were from the south and working Cebu the come on was they were interested in the house then started talking business ... I did not get my 1,000 back but they sure vanished went from 15 text a day to nothing

• Like 1
smokey

You know there are major issues with thought processes , people want to try a business here , and hell ,

charities can't even give stuff for free without it winding up in the wrong hands

Fit in with the culture ? No thanks , a sure disaster to wind up like the millions of other local bankrupted businesses ,

you have to do it your way , if you are going to do it someone elses way you may as well just give them your money straight up ,

28 years of being self employed and running my own businesses has taught me that advice from others is usually geared around to

suit their agenda and benefit , make your own decisions , laterally and unemotionally , and be aware of your surroundings , be competitive .

true words for sure I have started maybe 7 business in my life 2 of them I was a sole owner and they did well the rest I had partners and they all failed

• Like 1