Air Asia: Airbus flight with 162 aboard Missing

colemanlee

http://edition.cnn.com/2014/12/28/world/asia/airasia-plane-weather/

Having flown fairly close to super cells in Florida during my time in Pensacola, Its not a leap for me to believe if the plane flew into or close to one, it very well could have been torn apart...

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Hy H

• Woolf

• TheMatrix

• Monsoon

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Why not? I don't need a forum to read facts, those are easily obtainable from news and official sources. 

Please stop all those theories and speculations until some more information is available

Posted Images

And, the black box beeping should have taken them directly to the aircraft.  No water is too deep in that area to drown the blackbox.

As discussed in the MH370 thread - the underwater locators are ultrasonic and emit and audio tone which can be picked up by surface vessels with the correct locating gear (eg: Towed Pinger Locator.

Can't be picked up by aircraft receiver.

Emergency locator beacon - 243 & 406Mhz radio transmitter - doesn't work underwater.

So until a ship with the correct gear gets there to search you won't find the flight recorder

These locators are designed to pinpoint the flight recorder within a debris field - not locate the aircraft.

Edited by mexiwi

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Underwater_locator_beacon

An underwater locator beacon (ULB) or underwater acoustic beacon, is a device fitted to aviation flight recorders such as the cockpit voice recorder (CVR) and flight data recorder (FDR). ULBs are also sometimes required to be attached directly to an aircraft fuselage. ULBs are triggered by water immersion; most emit an ultrasonic 10ms pulse once per second at 37.5 kHz ± 1kHz.[1][2][3]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Distress_radiobeacon

Distress radio beacons, also known as emergency beacons, PLB (Personal Locator Beacon), ELT (Emergency Locator Transmitter) or EPIRB (Emergency Position-Indicating Radio Beacon), are tracking transmitters which aid in the detection and location of boats, aircraft, and people in distress. Strictly, they are radiobeacons that interface with worldwide offered service of Cospas-Sarsat, the international satellite system for search and rescue (SAR). When manually activated, or automatically activated upon immersion, such beacons send out a distress signal. The signals are monitored worldwide and the location of the distress is detected by non-geostationary satellites, and can be located by some combination of GPS trilateration and doppler triangulation.[1]

The basic purpose of a distress radiobeacon is to help rescuers find survivors within the so-called "golden day"[2] (the first 24 hours following a traumatic event) during which the majority of survivors can usually be saved.

Since the inception of Cospas-Sarsat in 1982, distress radiobeacons have assisted in the rescue of over 28,000 people in more than 7,000 distress situations.[3] In 2010 alone, the system provided information which was used to rescue 2,388 persons in 641 distress situations.[4]

TheMatrix

As discussed in the MH370 thread - the underwater locators are ultrasonic and emit and audio tone which can be picked up by surface vessels with the correct locating gear (eg: Towed Pinger Locator.

Can't be picked up by aircraft receiver.

Emergency locator beacon - 243 & 406Mhz radio transmitter - doesn't work underwater.

So until a ship with the correct gear gets there to search you won't find the flight recorder

These locators are designed to pinpoint the flight recorder within a debris field - not locate the aircraft.

What Woolf posts above makes sense.  

With the planet covered mostly by water, I don't think a beacon distress call can only be found by only a boat floating above it.  They have to have technology to detect a signal underwater by aircraft.

A_Simple_Man

Read through to see this is actually on topic.  When a plane goes down in Northern Canada there is a distress beacon that is received by 'someone' who immediately dispatches a Hercules search and rescue aircraft from Comox (if memory serves).  IMMEDIATELY.  I know this because a trapper I know got his hands on one of these emergency locator devices and set it off on purpose one day when he was stuck in the far north, freezing to death with a severely broken leg.  He was rescued within a couple hours and threatened with jail time for illegal use of the emergency locator.  But they let him off with a warning, knowing he would have died out there had he not committed an illegal act.

So the 'on topic' point is, if a downed aircraft (or sneaky trapper) in the deep arctic can be located and rescued within a couple of hours, how the heck can they justify not being able to find not one but two or more missing aircraft in the tropics?  Something stinks and there needs to be some major investigation going on!

• Like 1
HeyMike

It is 2:15 pm Monday Dec. 29th and the breaking news is that they believe the plane crashed into the sea. No confirmation about anything, but it is what they believe though.

TheMatrix

So the 'on topic' point is, if a downed aircraft (or sneaky trapper) in the deep arctic can be located and rescued within a couple of hours, how the heck can they justify not being able to find not one but two or more missing aircraft in the tropics?  Something stinks and there needs to be some major investigation going on!

Big time something is going on.  But the naysayers will say it must be lithium batteries in cargo hold or something too logical and easy to put off.  I'm still scratching my head on that one.  I can put a bunch of raw lithium batteries in a bucket, shake them around and nothing happens.  Of course, cargo lithium batteries are packaged with multiple coverings over each contact, triple packaged, zero chance of touching.  Even if they did, possible melting of the two batteries is most we will see.  I vote CIA, then muslim terrorist, then China foul play, then alien intervention. 

So the 'on topic' point is, if a downed aircraft (or sneaky trapper) in the deep arctic can be located and rescued within a couple of hours, how the heck can they justify not being able to find not one but two or more missing aircraft in the tropics? Something stinks and there needs to be some major investigation going on!

If the ELT antenna is under water it will NOT work, radio signals is killed, will not travel, under water

Edited by Woolf
  • Like 1
TheMatrix

It is 2:15 pm Monday Dec. 29th and the breaking news is that they believe the plane crashed into the sea. 

Versus what?

A_Simple_Man
If the ELT antenna is under water it will NOT work, radio signals is killed will not travel under water

I have no doubt you are correct.  So why isn't the antenna made to float to the surface and send a signal.  The whole locating system sounds like something Wile E Coyote built out of an ACME kit and it shocks the heck out of me that people who make multi million dollar aircraft don't do seemingly simple things like that.

EDIT:  Bottom line is that I am peeved that planes can just disappear.  There MUST be more that can be done to keep an eye on passenger planes.  Every single one of us expats flew here and any of us could end up on that missing list if the situation is not corrected.  And yet we can do nothing except line up, go through ridiculously invasive security measures, board the plane and cross our fingers that this flight is going to be okay because we got a cavity search or removed our shoes to go through a scanner.

Edited by A_Simple_Man
  • Like 1
HeyMike

Versus what?

That's the point. All this time and they are still absolutely clueless.

TheMatrix

That's the point. All this time and they are still absolutely clueless.

That's crazy.  The water is only maximum 100-feet deep in that region.  You can see a plane lying on the bottom with a flyover.  Nothing floating?  Seat cushions?  Beacon?  Well, only 3 more hours of daylight and hundreds searching.  We'll see.

• Like 2
oztony

Objects seen in search for missing AirAsia plane

Objects have been spotted in the sea by a search plane hunting for a missing AirAsia jet, an Indonesian official has said.

Jakarta’s Air Force base commander Rear Marshal Dwi Putranto said he had been informed that an Australian Orion aircraft had detected suspicious objects near Nangka island, about 160km south-west of Pangkalan Bun, near central Kalimantan, or 1,120km from the location where the plane lost contact.

“However, we cannot be sure whether it is part of the missing AirAsia plane,” he said. “We are now moving in that direction, which is in cloudy conditions.”

AirAsia Flight 8501 carrying 162 people disappeared yesterday in airspace thick with storm clouds on its way from Surabaya in Indonesia to Singapore.

First Admiral Sigit Setiayana, the Naval Aviation Centre commander at Surabaya air force base, said 12 navy ships, five planes, three helicopters and a number of warships were taking part in the search, along with ships and planes from Singapore and Malaysia.

He said visibility was good: “God willing, we can find it soon.”

A rescue official said today that, given the route of the plane, he believed the most likely scenario was that it crashed.

“Based on the co-ordinates that we know, the evaluation would be that any estimated crash position is in the sea, and that the hypothesis is the plane is at the bottom of the sea,” National Search and Rescue chief Henry Bambang Soelistyo told a news conference.

• Like 1

Thats the part I don't get.  Plane goes down.  Black box pings. Somebody detects ping.  Isn't that the plan?  It sounds like they are suggesting the plane did not crash? If so then black holes and alien abduction go to the top of the list as my money is on the wreckage that was supposedly seen but unconfirmed. 

How about the intense weather sucked the plane upwards to ultra-cold stratosphere and blew it away into middle of Pacific Ocean or Indian Ocean.