Air Asia: Airbus flight with 162 aboard Missing

Yes but I believe this an Indonesian Air Asia aircraft, Indonesian registered and presumably Indonesian crew.

Looks like wreckage has been found.

Some interesting insights here: http://www.pprune.org/rumours-news/553569-air-asia-indonesia-lost-contact-surabaya-singapore.html

Edited by Ricky
  • Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Hy H

• Woolf

• TheMatrix

• Monsoon

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Why not? I don't need a forum to read facts, those are easily obtainable from news and official sources. 

Please stop all those theories and speculations until some more information is available

Posted Images

mactanfamily
The missing AirAsia Indonesia flight QZ8501 had been flying at 32,000 feet and had asked to fly at 38,000 feet to avoid clouds, said an Indonesian official.

Joko Muryo Atmodjo, air transportation director at the Transport Ministry, told a news conference that the aircraft was between the Indonesian port of Tanjung Pandan and the town of Pontianak, in West Kalimantan on Borneo island, when it went missing.

The flight comprised 149 Indonesians, 3 Koreans, 1 Singaporean, 1 Briton, 1 Malaysian.

• Triple Diamond Sponsor
Monsoon

Sounds  a lot like plane vs. thunderstorm. Plane rarely wins. 

oztony

http://nasional.kompas.com/read/2014/12/28/10400961/Ada.Pesawat.yang.Jatuh.di.Perairan.Belitung.Timur

you will have to hit your translate button to read it , unless you speak Indonesian

http://rt.com/news/218155-missing-airasia-flight-updates/   , this one is English , reportedly wreckage found

http://www.thejakartapost.com/news/2014/12/28/airasia-plane-downed-belitung-waters-reports.html

Edited by oztony
  • Like 1

This is terrible to hear, I hope for a miracle for the poor crew and passengers on board.

7.01pm: The search was continuing tonight for the AirAsia plane carrying 162 people, which has gone missing in bad weather over the Java Sea en route from Indonesia to Singapore in the third crisis for a Malaysian carrier this year.

AFP reported air traffic controllers lost contact with the Airbus A320-200 around an hour after it left Juanda international airport in Surabaya, east Java, at 5:20am local time.

It was scheduled to arrive in Singapore at 8:30am (11.30 AEDT). Shortly before disappearing, the plane asked permission from Jakarta air traffic control to track away from its flight plan and climb above adverse weather in an area renowned for severe thunderstorms.

The pilots requested “deviation due to enroute weather before communication with the aircraft was lost while it was still under the control of the Indonesian Air Traffic Control (ATC)”, AirAsia said in a statement on its Facebook page.

The airline said 156 of those onboard Flight QZ8501 were Indonesians, with three South Koreans and one person each from Singapore, Malaysia and France also missing.

On board were 138 adult passengers, 16 children and an infant, in addition to the two pilots and five cabin crew.

source: http://www.theaustralian.com.au/business/aviation/air-asia-airbus-flight-with-162-aboard-loses-contact/story-e6frg95x-1227168422473

I use Air Asia all the time for their cheap flights but good service and beautiful hostesses. This is sad to hear on many levels.

Edited by Tamed
  • Like 2

No official reports of wreckage yet - only second hand local quotes.

Plane was about 4 minutes going from 32,000 to 38,000 process and at about 36,000 and 353 knots speed when it was lost to radar and radio contact and within a minute to the new satellite reporting system (from reports I have seen).  It seems to have taken an extended time to become an official missing aircraft.  Pilot was making adjustment due to weather and radar images do seem to indicate very server storms in the area.

Lost contact 41 minutes after takeoff. MH370 lost contact at 40 minutes.

All the evidence we need.

• Like 1

All the evidence we need.

About 10 hours now from incident and no reports of anything found.

an hour ago
Simon Kearney says authorities in Singapore are assisting friends and family members of passengers on board flight QZ8501 but all search and rescue information will come out of Indonesia. 

"I understand the search and rescue has been coordinated by the Indonesian authorities," he said. 

"What we have been told here is that the most official statements are now going to come from Surabaya. 

"There was an airport official who came out about about an hour ago to brief the media and said there are going to be no press conferences here today. 

The airport is providing assistance to the relatives in Singapore, but they indicated that all official statements would be coming out of Surabaya."

42 minutes ago

Fairfax Indonesia correspondent Michael Bachelard says search and rescue vessels are still eight hours away from the area where flight QZ8501 last made contact. 

"Singapore has sent a couple of C-130 Hercules aircraft to go to the area," he said.

"Australia has offered help and the Indonesian search and rescue authorities are saying that any help they can provide Australia in terms of clearing air space and so on, if they can facilitate that, they'll do it. 

"But it is early days. I mean, there are still boats - search and rescue boats - trying to get out to the area where the plane was last heard from. 

"We just heard they are still eight hours ... away from that part of the ocean because the sea is quite rough today. So this one's got a fair way to go, I would say."

LIVE BLOG:

OK one plane from Malaysia ,ok two  from there,a little fishy  ,,,,  three from Malaysia  .long odds something real fishy with this picture  !!!!

OK one plane from Malaysia ,ok two  from there,a little fishy  ,,,,  three from Malaysia  .long odds something real fishy with this picture  !!!!

Surely if 'they' wanted to get at Malaysia, they would choose a plane leaving from/traveling to Malaysia, full of Malaysians?

SomeRandomGuy

It is very disturbing.

Terrible weather atm in that area so we will see what we will see, but it is not looking good.

Feel for the friends and families effected.

Looking like airplane safety needs to be overhauled, including tracking.

Bah humbug

SkyMan

At least they weren't flying over the Ukraine this time.  I don't think there are any major hostilities in that area.  But there be muslims there...

Edited by SkyMan

I still don't understand how they can lose track of a plane.

Sure it can drop of the radar but what about satellites?

I would have thought that planes were bouncing full cockpit information off a satellite at all times.

And I mean 'the lot'. Voice, speed, altitude etc. etc. as it took place.

KonC

• Like 2