murder

Lee From Cebu

Lee From Cebu

hi all i was just wondering how many murders are in cebu per year approx ? and if anybody knows how many expats are in this number i would like to compare this to where i live and feel really safe we are at 20 so far this year i,m not trying to be morbid i would really like to know thank you for your time

• Admin (Retired)
Aerosick

20 out of how much population where you are? Gat a %age?

Lee From Cebu

i live in calgary alberta canada pop just over 1 million i believe thats close to cebus pop but not sure. theres around 40 to 50 murders a year here most are gang or drug related or so it seems

• Admin (Retired)
Aerosick

Los Angeles, CA, USA:

480 in the year 2006 : 1.30%

Los Angeles Population: 3,694,820

Male Population: 1,841,805

Female Population: 1,853,015

Households: 1,275,412

Median Age: 32

Average Household Size: 2.83

http://losangeles.areaconnect.com/crime1.htm

smokey
hi all i was just wondering how many murders are in cebu per year approx ? and if anybody knows how many expats are in this number i would like to compare this to where i live and feel really safe we are at 20 so far this year i,m not trying to be morbid i would really like to know thank you for your time

I READ CEBU ((((((( CITY ))))) POP... 780,000 PEOPLE HAD OVER 140 IN THE YEAR 2004 AND THAT WAS NOT INCLUDING THE VIGALANTIE RUB OUTS..THAT STARTED THAT YEAR...

I guess it would all depend on who you want to believe. It seems that crime has gone down in 2007 and that there was 171 murder in 2005 including the vigilante killings which made up most of them acording to news reports and only 90 killings in 2004 including the vigilante killings.

http://www.sunstar.com.ph/static/net/2006/...bled.in.05.html

Cebu City murder cases doubled in '05

By Jovy S. Taghoy

CEBU CITY -- Murder cases in Cebu City registered a dramatic increase in 2005, with almost double the numbers recorded in 2004.

A decrease by more than 300 robbery cases, however, was noted by the police last year.

Unsolved vigilante-style killings made up most of the 171 murders recorded in the city last year-up by 81 cases from the 2004 figure.

http://www.sunstar.com.ph/static/ceb/2008/...22.in.2007.html

Tuesday, March 18, 2008

Crimes in Cebu dropped 22% in 2007

CRIME volume in Cebu for the year 2007

Edited by Mr. Lee
tom_shor

I guess it would all depend on who you want to believe. It seems that crime has gone down in 2007 and that there was 171 murder in 2005 including the vigilante killings which made up most of them acording to news reports and only 90 killings in 2004 including the vigilante killings.

http://www.sunstar.com.ph/static/net/2006/...bled.in.05.html

Cebu City murder cases doubled in '05

By Jovy S. Taghoy

CEBU CITY -- Murder cases in Cebu City registered a dramatic increase in 2005, with almost double the numbers recorded in 2004.

A decrease by more than 300 robbery cases, however, was noted by the police last year.

Unsolved vigilante-style killings made up most of the 171 murders recorded in the city last year-up by 81 cases from the 2004 figure.

http://www.sunstar.com.ph/static/ceb/2008/...22.in.2007.html

Tuesday, March 18, 2008

Crimes in Cebu dropped 22% in 2007

CRIME volume in Cebu for the year 2007

JohninCebu

If you are worried about the level of murder here or anywhere, I'd stay at home. Whether there is 1 or 50 or 500, why do you think you will be any more unsafe here than anywhere else?

While some will know the stats, I would have thought that random murders, ie not related to gangs, family or revenge, are very rare anywhere so if you dont intend to be involved in gang type operations, screwing up the family, insulting Pinoys or wandering around downtown dressed as a rich tourist you have nothing to worry about, indeed imo anywhere in the world save for Iraq, Afghanistan and other parts of the world that the West has screwed up.

Sorry for the numerous anywheres, lol

mattwilkie
If you are worried about the level of murder here or anywhere, I'd stay at home. Whether there is 1 or 50 or 500, why do you think you will be any more unsafe here than anywhere else?

While some will know the stats, I would have thought that random murders, ie not related to gangs, family or revenge, are very rare anywhere so if you dont intend to be involved in gang type operations, screwing up the family, insulting Pinoys or wandering around downtown dressed as a rich tourist you have nothing to worry about, indeed imo anywhere in the world save for Iraq, Afghanistan and other parts of the world that the West has screwed up.

Agree with you on that john 110% the other way to look at it is how often do you see drunks lying around the streets here? People wandering vomiting in the road? I have yet to see anyone (ok urinating doesnt count!) but in the UK Friday, Saturday night?? Everywhere every city has a full A+E from drunks fighting, falling, going blue from too much alcohol. Take those sort of statistics into account and the Philippines is a completely different enviroment. Everyone makes their own bed.. Me personally ill be in Cebu for at least the next 10 years even with its downside its a lot better than the UK will ever be.

I am really amazed that people are worried about being murdered in Cebu.

I lived in Venezuela 3 years. That's one of the top 2 or 3 murder capitals of the world. There, I had to fear for my life daily.

Cebu is a walk in the park in comparison. I think the biggest risk is for people who drink a lot (or use illegal drugs) and aren't particular about who they drink with.

The other thing to worry about seems significant others who have a family member or boyfriend that wants a piece of the action and is willing to take it by force.

homicides_per_capita.png

This is an image I made a few weeks ago.

The homicides per capita are from red to green. (Red is most severe). Philippines almost reached the >5 rate that the US has, but is something like 4.X.

You can find the stats on Wikipedia.

Edited by sork
Lee From Cebu
I am really amazed that people are worried about being murdered in Cebu.

I lived in Venezuela 3 years. That's one of the top 2 or 3 murder capitals of the world. There, I had to fear for my life daily.

Cebu is a walk in the park in comparison. I think the biggest risk is for people who drink a lot (or use illegal drugs) and aren't particular about who they drink with.

thx every one i,m not really worried about getting murdered anywhere but i like to be informed on any safety issues :rolleyes: i always have my eyes open and try to be aware of my surroundings :any-help: don,t think i could live in a place like venezuela fearing for my life daily

2004 murder rate per 100,000:

45 - Venezuela

13 - Mexico (in 2002)

8.5 - Thailand (in 2000)

5.5 - U.S.

4.3 - Philippines

1.6 - England, Wales

1.3 - Australia

.63 - Hong Kong

.49 - Singapore

See the full list of countries at Wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_count..._by_murder_rate

"List of countries by homicide rate per year per 100,000 inhabitants. The reliability of underlying national homicide rate data may vary. Homicide demographics are affected by changes in trauma care, leading to changed lethality of violent assaults, so the homicide rate may not necessarily indicate the overall level of societal violence. They may also be underreported for political reasons."

800px-Map-world-murder-rate.svg.png

smokey

Agree with you on that john 110% the other way to look at it is how often do you see drunks lying around the streets here? People wandering vomiting in the road? I have yet to see anyone (ok urinating doesnt count!) but in the UK Friday, Saturday night?? Everywhere every city has a full A+E from drunks fighting, falling, going blue from too much alcohol. Take those sort of statistics into account and the Philippines is a completely different enviroment. Everyone makes their own bed.. Me personally ill be in Cebu for at least the next 10 years even with its downside its a lot better than the UK will ever be.

matt what part of the UK are you talking about ..?? As for drunks surley you are not comparing the drunks in UK to the singing drunks of cebu... drinking is a national pastime here... them are not wolves you hear whinning in the nighttime in cebu.. just out of tune drunks