Sign in to follow this  
State Trooper

Can I get regular SS benefits direct deposited in PHL bank?

State Trooper

After searching this site and doing some Googling, I cant find an answer to my question. I have a PHL bank account but my US bank account is a joint account and I understand that SS will not deposit in a joint account. I would rather have benefits deposited here anyway.

Otherwise I have to go back to the US just to open a bank account?

Or has anyone opened a US bank account without a state issued ID such as a drivers license? Ive been in the PHL for 11 years and the only form of federal ID I have is a passport and it seems that isnt enough to prove identity to a US bank.

tomaw

Maybe try a US bank that has branches in Cebu such as Citibank. Check with Citibanks U.S. in the U.S. before opening an account in Cebu though. If the Cebu bank isn't a US bank, they may just say they are in order to get you to open an account. Good luck.

Paul
Ive been in the PHL for 11 years and the only form of federal ID I have is a passport and it seems that isnt enough to prove identity to a US bank.

I just got back to the US (last month). My US Passport was all I needed, to show for identification purposes at a local bank. 

But, to answer the question in your subject line: "Can I get regular SS benefits direct deposited in PHL bank?"

The answer to that, is yes. You can get your Social Security retirement direct deposited in a bank in the Philippines.

Don't hold me to this, but, I believe they may deposit the funds into a USD, OR Philippine Peso Account. (Do verify that, before you decide to go this route.)

• Like 1

tomaw

SS won't deposit to a joint account? I want to check this out with Social Security directly myself. I find this just a little hard to believe since the vast majority that start claiming their benefits are 66+ and are married.

Edited by tomaw
  • Like 1

Paul

SS what deposit to a joint account?

Not sure I follow you here. Are you asking if Social Security funds can be deposited into a join account? I don't see why not.

I want to check this out with Social Security directly myself.

By all means. I would encourage you to do just that.

tomaw

Not sure I follow you here. Are you asking if Social Security funds can be deposited into a join account? I don't see why not.

By all means. I would encourage you to do just that.

The O.P. said in his opening post that he understands that S.S. won't deposit into a joint account. I agree. This doesn't sound right to me either. Maybe he just means a joint account outside the US.

tonny

YES YOU CAN!!!!1 BDO  Bank the best as to on time with the Money deposited in the account usually in there on the 3rd of each month , now the bad part for them you must always go to the branch you open the direct deposit account with , they do have a direct deposit account with no $ to open and zero $ balance , about $5 to $7 a month taken out for your fee. If you going to be in a big town or one that has a  BDO Branch at a mall open there open all days except two days a year even holidays and weekends they  closed Xmas and New Years Day  but ask  them to make sure,,,, all on the same page good luck,,, you  will need a ACR Card usually  and a award letter or your yearly statement, two 2,x2 pictures or 1x1 not sure they will send all the paper work off to there sister bank in NY  New York Bank Good Luck

tomaw

From what I read in other threads Citibank U.S. seems to be the bank of choice. I'll have my SS Checks deposited in a U.S. Citibank and access it from a Philippine Citibank. That seems to be both the safest and most economical way to go.

tonny

Usually NO!!!!!  Not joint account as they don't want the wife getting your money  when you gone heeeeee upstairs !!!!!

towboat72

cannot have it deposited to joint account 

can be in a peso or dollar account but if its dollar you can not withdraw at atm only at bank

loy

My Filipina wife and i have a joint U.S. account, checking and saving. My monthly SSA checks is deposited there every month. We also have a Philippines joint accounts. One is dollar the other Peso. 100% sure we could get our checks deposited there also.

• Like 1

tomaw

cannot have it deposited to joint account

can be in a peso or dollar account but if its dollar you can not withdraw at atm only at bank

Are you just talking about a Philippine bank, or a US bank as well?

tomaw

My Filipina wife and i have a joint U.S. account, checking and saving. My monthly SSA checks is deposited there every month. We also have a Philippines joint accounts. One is dollar the other Peso. 100% sure we could get our checks deposited there also.

Good! :-) Thanks. Glad to hear from someone that's actually doing it.

Majorsco

Or has anyone opened a US bank account without a state issued ID such as a drivers license? Ive been in the PHL for 11 years and the only form of federal ID I have is a passport and it seems that isnt enough to prove identity to a US bank.

You don't have to go into a bank branch to open an account anymore unless you want to.  I've opened checking accounts at two different US banks in the last 4 years.  A couple of them even have check depositing using scanned checks using your smart phone or computer (USAA, State Farm Bank, for example).  

I have my military retirement going to a US bank and I just use a transfer service (I use Xoom) once a month to transfer my monthly budget to my PNB account here and then just my ATM card the rest of the time.  Yes, I have to pay ATM fees and the transfer fee.  I don't mind that because I get peace of mind that my accounts are covered by the American FDIC, is under American law, and I don't have to worry about the IRS reporting requirement since I don't keep lots of money in a foreign country.

towboat72

Are you just talking about a Philippine bank, or a US bank as well?

talking about philippine bank

bank of the philippines 

Edited by towboat72