Sign in to follow this  
AussieLex

Autralian DSP New Rules ...

AussieLex

From the Human Services Website:- 

New rules for DSP recipients going overseas from 1 January 2015

Tuesday 16 December 2014

If you are on Disability Support Pension and plan to travel overseas, the period you can receive your pension for will reduce from 6 weeks to 4 weeks in a 12 month period.

From 1 January 2015, if you are outside Australia for more than 4 weeks in a 12 month period your payment may stop.

Your payment will not be affected if you have been assessed in Australia as having a permanent, severe impairment and no future work capacity.

If you have already travelled overseas for 4 weeks in a 12 month period, you may still be able to be paid overseas if your reason for travel is due to:

an acute family crisis—for example to visit an immediate family member who is critically ill

humanitarian reasons—for example to adopt a child or attend custody proceedings, or

receiving eligible medical treatment that is not available in Australia

If you have booked and paid for travel before 14 May 2014, you will be able to retain the existing 6 week payment period as long as this travel is completed and you have returned to Australia before 1 January 2016.

And in another section of the same site ...

Leaving Australia to live in another country

If you leave Australia to live in another country you will not be paid DSP unless you:

are terminally ill

left Australia prior to 1 July 2004, and at the time of leaving you were told that you could be paid indefinitely, and you have not returned to Australia to live since that time

have been assessed in Australia prior to the departure as having a permanent, severe impairment and no future work capacity. Assessment involves a review of your DSP qualification and a Job Capacity Assessment, or

are severely disabled and your DSP can be paid under an international social security agreement Australia has with the country in which you are living in.

Kinda sux and one of the reasons I am back in Aussie myself. I am waiting for a decision on my application for portability now. The process takes about 6 months and my 6 months is up in January 2015.

ozboy

Yes they are really getting tough on everybody. I know 2 guys who have been served notice to front a centrelink medical assessment....wonder how the rules for OAP have changed for 2015

AussieLex

For the aged pension you now need to show you are a resident of Australia as well and an Australian citizen. prior to making your aged pension application. You can still go and live in another country but to do so you must have been an Australian citizen and resident for 35 years...less than this will see a reduced pension rate based on a percentage of time actually spent as a resident.

Its getting harder and harder to live reasonably in Australia and I know I am pretty much destitute here, where in the Philippines I have a reasonable quality of life.  I have been waiting to see a cardiologist here since July. I went to Cebu and saw one the day after I made the phone call.  

I have spent hours and hours going through various legislation and the Human services web site and came up with the following ...

Taking your pension overseas

On 1 July 2014, new rules on how much you can be paid while living or travelling outside Australia took effect.

The changes generally affect you if you receive a payment which is payable for an unlimited period outside Australia, you departed Australia on or after 1 July 2014 and you stay outside Australia for more than 26 weeks, or are paid under the terms of an international social security agreement.

To continue receiving your full rate of Australian pension you will generally need to have 35 years Australian working life residence (AWLR).

AWLR is the period of time you have lived in Australia between the age of 16 and age pension age. You do not need to have worked or paid tax during this period. You just need to have been an Australian resident during this period.

If you have less than 35 years AWLR, your rate of payment will be reduced.  For example, if you have 27 years AWLR, you will get 27/35ths (77%) of the basic means-tested rate of payment.

Residence requirements for Age Pension

To be eligible for Age Pension you must satisfy residence requirements. You must be:

an Australian resident on the day you lodge your claim, and

be physically present in Australia on the day you lodge your claim

You also need to have been an Australian resident for a continuous period of at least 10 years, or for a number of periods that total more than ten years, with one of the periods being at least five years to qualify. 

aussiekangaroo

I am under 30 and have been granted an indefinite portability to stay in any country I like just got approved last month for it, Suffer from PTSD.

ozboy

I was under the impression the new rules came or coming into effect were that IF you could do ANY job even for a few hours a week, then you had to take it or no disability.......or was that for unemployment benefits?