Gas station scams

If it is any comfort for the op, most stations I use have the attendants point out the "zero" before they begin to pump. The most common scam used by individual attendants was to have the last pump amount be used as the beginning of the new customer pumping. The attendant would collect 100 pesos or whatever had been on the pump. Now, the attendant zeroes the sale and makes sure the customer sees that. If there are extra attendants milling about, asking them to move seems like a pretty simple thing to do. Not sure what to advise about the cheating that goes on by adjusting the pump meters. I guess laying awake at night will take care of that.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• smokey

• contraman

• Semper paratus

• Monsoon

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Ive never had anything pulled on me at a gas station here in nearly a decade now of getting fuel all over the Philippines.   Its always the same routine, "Sir zero start!" while they point to the ga

Move on mate...how do you sleep at nights..??

as I only spend about 80 cents a day on gas I really don't pay much attention, usually distracted by the pretty girl sitting behind me, or walking past me, or passing buy in a jeepney. Who has time to

And the other day, I bought P903 of gas. I gave the kid P1003 and without going to the cashier he tried handing me P10 for my change out of his own pocket. I guess he thought this foreigner doesn't know P10 from P100., So of course I called him on it and said NO you owe me P100 ! Then he gets that silly look on his face and goes to the cashier this time bringing me my P100 and a receipt. 

I do not think he was trying to rip you off!   I would guess he has a masters in mathematics but does not know how to do simple arithmetic.  Seems to be a very common problem with young people.  Whiner

I've learned from experience to NOT give them the extra amount so it makes it simpler (like the example above). Every time I did that, there was this confused response and even back and forth conversation about how to handle this. Even with a calculator some would mess it up. They tried. Just lacked the common sense. Silly foreigners!

contraman

In Cebu I never have that problem as the filler neck on my delica is between the drivers door & the side loading door. In the UK I have another test to see if the forecourt us playing by the rules. At the start of the fill just dispense 1 litre of fuel in the car & check the cash total against the advertised rate on the billboards for example a few weeks ago I done it & the litre price was £1.23.9 so I filled a litre in the tank & the price was £1.24 which is in the parameters of the weights & measures act.

Your theory is correct but it should be checked at 10 liter intervals, 1 liter may not be accurate to 2 decimal places which is the ISO standard.

One of the scams for fuel is at self serve stations.

After the pump is stopped, the hose is then drained.

This can cause the meter on the next customer to go straight to 1 or 2 liters even before any fuel is dispensed.

Jeepney

Your theory is correct but it should be checked at 10 liter intervals, 1 liter may not be accurate to 2 decimal places which is the ISO standard.

One of the scams for fuel is at self serve stations.

After the pump is stopped, the hose is then drained.

This can cause the meter on the next customer to go straight to 1 or 2 liters even before any fuel is dispensed.

Hose drained back to a reversing pump?

contraman

Hose drained back to a reversing pump?

After the pump is stopped by holding the trigger switch on the pump (not the dispenser nozzle) the contents of the hose are drained into the customers vehicle. Savy ? :)

• Like 1
Jeepney

After the pump is stopped by holding the trigger switch on the pump (not the dispenser nozzle) the contents of the hose are drained into the customers vehicle. Savy ? :)

But surely all scam suspecting nightwatchers know all the possible tricks already?

If you leave the self service thing out of it, the attendants could do the same thing,

specially to the rich atm owners colored kano's?

contraman

But surely all scam suspecting nightwatchers know all the possible tricks already?

If you leave the self service thing out of it, the attendants could do the same thing,

specially to the rich atm owners colored kano's?

Not if you do what others in this thread have suggested and make sure the meter is on Zero Before dispensing commences :)
  • Admin (Retired)
broden

Not if you do what others in this thread have suggested and make sure the meter is on Zero Before dispensing commences :)

then, if you are in america anyway, run in to the gas station steal a 30 pack of beer and race off

• Like 1
burnttoast

We've rented a bike on Bantayan. When we pull into the gas station there the attendent will go for the premium pump as a default. I told him he should ask the customer what grade gasoline they prefer before putting the most expensive stuff in there. His response was he knows the owner of the bike and he always puts in premium.

Davaoeno

And then when it stops they ask, "Automatic stop sir?"

in 5 years of buying fuel here i have never once been asked that.  It must be a Luzon thing ?

• Like 1
SkyMan

in 5 years of buying fuel here i have never once been asked that.  It must be a Luzon thing ?

Yeah, in Cebu they try to jam every drop they can in.  I tell them they're done when it auto stops.  They also like to hold the nozzle out and manually squeeze it so it doesn't autostop (and maximizing vapor loss) and I have to make them put it in and use the catch or just squeeze it full on.

smokey

greetings! Unfortunately, not much help as no location, him or the station. Could be in US for all we know.

Oh I forgot, we no l,onger have attendents!

well if you were not so anti american you might  of noticed he was talking about paying 500 P   903 P

• Like 1
  • Triple Diamond Sponsor
Monsoon

Maybe because you are always too cheap to fill it up?  :yahoo:

Yea maybe a Luzon thing. But they always ask, so i've gotten in the habit now to say, "Full tank, diesel, automatic stop pwede!" 

Heck, I've even used my credit card all over the place here at countless gas stations and never had so much as a funny charge. I wouldn't think about handing it to a gas station attendant in the states. Its the only place I get CC fraud! 

Edited by Monsoon
  • Like 1

Normally I wouldnt bother but the pipes from the pumps here are very long. Theres 'a lot' of gas left in that pipe.

SkyMan

I wouldn't think about handing it to a gas station attendant in the states. Its the only place I get CC fraud! 
There are no attendants except in Oregon so yeah, if you hand your card to an attendant you're probably going to get ripped off.  :)

I use my CC frequently at gas stations here but sometimes get burned.  Not from false charges but from stations known to accept them or even new stations where you ask, "Do you accept CC."  And then they pump the gas and then it's

Oh sir, your card is bad, do you have another.

The card is bad?

Yes.

The machine says the card is rejected?

Yes.

Go in to watch them run the card and the machine says "Unable to connect."

It's not connecting to the bank.

Yes sir, do you have another card.

So do you think another card would work?

Maybe.

It doesn't matter what card you use, it's not going to work if it can't connect to the bank.  Is the phone line plugged in?

We have wifi.

And is your wifi working?

No sir.

Then exactly how do you think this is going to work?  Do you have a boss?.....

I don't fill the tank any more because of the problems with over filling.  I just tell them an amount to put in.  If you have some time and want to create some confusion tell them you want Twelve Hundred pesos of whatever and watch them strip their gears.

• Like 2