Gas station scams

Semper paratus

The best I heard so far is… They place themselves so that you can’t see the actual filling nozzle in your side-mirror. While filling your car they pull it out and get a liter in a separate container/bottle (usually held by a second guy which appears for some quick casual talk with the filling-guy). The driver can’t see that in the mirror. And when paying, all looks great, the tank looks full (with a liter missing) and you pay the correct money for the liters shown on the display.

And the other day, I bought P903 of gas. I gave the kid P1003 and without going to the cashier he tried handing me P10 for my change out of his own pocket. I guess he thought this foreigner doesn't know P10 from P100., So of course I called him on it and said NO you owe me P100 ! Then he gets that silly look on his face and goes to the cashier this time bringing me my P100 and a receipt. 

About a week ago a friend stopped to buy P500 of gas. He just stayed in his car while the kid pumped it. He gave the kid P500 and started his car. He immediately got suspicious as his fuel gauge did not move as much as he was used to. So he got out of his car and looked at the pump, and the kid had only put P400 in. The kid was expecting this guy to just drive away I am sure.

So, buyer beware. Always get out of your car and check the pump reading before and after and stand right there while they put your fuel in. Of course watch and count your change carefully.

Learn how to check your own oil if you don't know how. There is another scam we used to call "short sticking".  When someone checks your oil they do not put the dip stick in all the way and they show it to you and say you are a liter low. Then they either overfill you engine or only pretend to use a new full can. Always have a can of anything opened right before your very eyes.

Assume nothing. Question everything.

Merry Christmas and to all a good night.

• Like 5
  • Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• smokey

• contraman

• Semper paratus

• Monsoon

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Ive never had anything pulled on me at a gas station here in nearly a decade now of getting fuel all over the Philippines.   Its always the same routine, "Sir zero start!" while they point to the ga

Move on mate...how do you sleep at nights..??

as I only spend about 80 cents a day on gas I really don't pay much attention, usually distracted by the pretty girl sitting behind me, or walking past me, or passing buy in a jeepney. Who has time to

RogerDat

greetings! Unfortunately, not much help as no location, him or the station. Could be in US for all we know.

Oh I forgot, we no l,onger have attendents!

Edited by RogerDat
  • Like 1

greetings! Unfortunately, not much help as no location, him or the station. Could be in US for all we know.

Unless you are in Oregon

A_Simple_Man

The one I find interesting is the big reduction in price at the gas pumps.  

and more recently

Judging by these articles and what I see on the pump numbers you would think we were getting a great deal.  And yet for a year now I have put 100 pesos in my motorcycle gas tank when the gauge gets to empty and it fills it to an inch from the top.  It has not changed a bit.  So something is screwy.

Judging by these articles and what I see on the pump numbers you would think we were getting a great deal. And yet for a year now I have put 100 pesos in my motorcycle gas tank when the gauge gets to empty and it fills it to an inch from the top. It has not changed a bit. So something is screwy.

if the price was 50 php before then a reduction of 1.75 is 3.5%

do you think that you can notice 3.5% more or less by looking in the tank ??

The price of gasoline is on the pump, why not check it there

• Like 1
A_Simple_Man

The price of gasoline is on the pump, why not check it there

Please read my entire post before driveling on it.  I was talking about all the way back to: 

fifth straight week starting Monday (Aug. 11),
and I did check  

what I see on the pump numbers

If you need more into then please read closer in the future.

• Like 1
  • Admin (Retired)
broden

The one I find interesting is the big reduction in price at the gas pumps.  

and more recently

Judging by these articles and what I see on the pump numbers you would think we were getting a great deal.  And yet for a year now I have put 100 pesos in my motorcycle gas tank when the gauge gets to empty and it fills it to an inch from the top.  It has not changed a bit.  So something is screwy.

occasionally in the states you will see a gas station getting in big trouble for tinkering with the counters on the pumps.

if it happens here, even just rarely, i'm sure it happens over there

• Like 1
jtmwatchbiz

at most gas stations here in cebu it would be impossible for attendants to rip off customers as there is so much supervision by the management and owners. i owned gas stations for over 25 years in the USA and the simplest and most profitable way to rip off customers would be by manipulating the regulator on the individual dispensers (pumps) which are located inside the pump cover. no matter if they are the newest digital computerized systems, they all have individual regulators within each pump that are manually adjusted to dispense accurate volume of fuel delivered in relation to pump readout within tolerable limits set by the weights and measures dept. of the local state. these manually operated regulators can easily be adjusted to where the average customer could never tell they were getting ripped off unless they were carefully filling a graduated container. in a car or truck it would be impossible to detect, and with lax law enforcement this method could yield the station owner thousands of dollars in additional profit per week. i'm willing to bet every station here is doing this and best to just dismiss it as the cost of living.     

• Like 6
Semper paratus

Odd, I thought this forum was called Living in Cebu.  I would think that is a "location"..

• Like 2
Semper paratus

Ref: "The price of gasoline is on the pump, why not check it there"

Oh, so whatever the pump says you believe it ?

Prices can be manipulated and so can the delivery volume.

Before moving to the Philippines 5 years ago, I used to drive "a lot"" in the U.S... I'd fill up an SUV 3-5 times a week. Having had gas station experience myself years ago I know things can be manipulated at the pump. One station near my house just didn't seem right on the amount of fuel it claimed it was dispensing. I brought with me one day four 5 gallon cans I had for various equipment and filled them up. Each 5 gallon can according to their pump was holding 6 gallons. Isn't that odd ? I contacted the weights and measures division in our State. They have to respond to these accusations by law in a timely manner. The very next day that station was "shut down" and the pumps locked. They were shut for one week. There is a lead seal on the pump that can easily be broken and the pump manipulated. This station owner made big money short changing his customers one gallon for every 6 they thought they bought. And that is not small potatoes.  Most people I think are just not knowledgeable in how things like that work or can be altered. If it can happen in the U.S. it can happen in any country. If you think missing one gallon out of every 6 is acceptable and is just part of the cost of living then don't worry about it.

Have a nice day.  

• Like 2

In Cebu I never have that problem as the filler neck on my delica is between the drivers door & the side loading door. In the UK I have another test to see if the forecourt us playing by the rules. At the start of the fill just dispense 1 litre of fuel in the car & check the cash total against the advertised rate on the billboards for example a few weeks ago I done it & the litre price was £1.23.9 so I filled a litre in the tank & the price was £1.24 which is in the parameters of the weights & measures act.

• Like 1

And the other day, I bought P903 of gas. I gave the kid P1003 and without going to the cashier he tried handing me P10 for my change out of his own pocket. I guess he thought this foreigner doesn't know P10 from P100., So of course I called him on it and said NO you owe me P100 ! Then he gets that silly look on his face and goes to the cashier this time bringing me my P100 and a receipt. 

I do not think he was trying to rip you off!   I would guess he has a masters in mathematics but does not know how to do simple arithmetic.  Seems to be a very common problem with young people.  Whiner  

• Like 1