Sign in to follow this  
hookedtothenet

Being obese can cause you to die 8 years earlier, with the last 20 years in miserable health Learn more: http://www.naturalnews.com/047978_obesity_ea

hookedtothenet

NaturalNews) Everybody knows that being obese greatly reduces one's quality of life and makes it much more difficult to maintain a normal, healthy existence. But a new study out of Canada has scientifically quantified the obesity health toll as shaving up to eight years off of a person's life, with several decades of relative misery leading up to this early death.

Researchers from McGill University in Montreal noted that the major risk factors associated with obesity are common illnesses like type 2 diabetes and heart disease. Most people are aware of these conditions, and even their relationship with obesity, but they often fail to recognize how quality of life is degraded once they are present.

Published in the journal The Lancet Diabetes & Endocrinology, a study comparing young men and women of healthy weights to young obese individuals found that those who were overweight lost about 8.4 years off of their lives if they were men and 6.1 years off of their lives if they were women.

Similarly, the young obese men suffered 18.8 more years of poor health leading up to their early deaths compared to men of healthy weight, while young obese women suffered 19.1 years of poor health. Even when obesity emerged just in old age, both men and women were found to lose years off of their lives: for men, an average of 3.7 years and for women about 5.3 years.

"Our computer modelling study shows that obesity is associated with an increased risk of developing cardiovascular disease, including heart disease and stroke, and diabetes that will, on average, dramatically reduce an individual's life expectancy," stated Professor Steven Grover, one of the study's authors, as quoted by the BBC.

"The pattern is clear. The more an individual weighs and the younger their age, the greater the effect on their health, as they have many years ahead of them during which the increased health risks associated with obesity can negatively impact their lives."

A Body Mass Index (BMI) score of 35 or more was considered to be "very obese," and individuals in this category had anywhere between one and eight years shaved off their lives, based on the assessment model. Even overweight people with BMI scores between 25 and 30, which is not technically considered "obese," lost up to three years from their lives.

"This research study yet again supports the clear message that by becoming obese you not only take years off your life, but also life off your years in terms of experiencing more years in poor health rather than enjoying a happy, active and productive life," added Barbara Dinsdale, a lifestyle manager at the British charity Heart Research UK.

"Whatever size you are, small, manageable but sustainable changes are the way forward for a happier, healthier and longer life, and reduced risk of heart disease and type 2 diabetes."

Maintaining an appropriate diet is key to avoiding obesity, and this includes cutting out refined sugars, "diet" soft drinks, cheap carbohydrates from processed flours and genetically modified organisms (GMOs). Contrary to popular belief, fats are an important part of a healthy diet, including saturated fats, as are whole, fresh fruits and vegetables grown in nutrient-dense soils.

If you want to stay slim, also avoid cheap oils like soybean and canola, which are often used in processed foods and condiments. And remember to get at least 30 minutes of exercise daily to stay fit and healthy.

Sources:

http://www.philly.com

http://www.dailymail.co.uk

http://www.bbc.com

http://science.naturalnews.com

Learn more: http://www.naturalnews.com/047978_obesity_early_mortality_poor_health.html?utm_content=buffer8a5ff&utm_medium=social&utm_source=facebook.com&utm_campaign#ixzz3LxzEGvBU

Source : http://www.naturalnews.com/047978_obesity_early_mortality_poor_health.html?utm_content=buffer8a5ff&utm_medium=social&utm_source=facebook.com&utm_campaign

Monsoon

There are a lot of fat people in the world, and there are a lot of old people in the world, but there are not very many fat old people...

• Like 1

LechonBuddha

Not good to be old and really skinny either.

I think if most people simply took a walk now and then, reduced their stress level, varied their appetite with fresh food and and didn't smoke, they'd be 90% there.

Semper paratus

"But a new study out of Canada has scientifically quantified the obesity health toll as shaving up to eight years off of a person's life"

That's o.k. by me, it just makes more room for we normal sized people on planes, trains, buses, and so on.

Weight equals fuel consumption, they should all charge by the pound just as they do with excess baggage.

Baywak

Being lean is becoming a minority in a lot of countries especially the USA.Will the day come when lean people are investigated for possibly being terrorist?Will doctors continue to try to heal lean folks with drugs?Will exercise become against the law?Will we all be forced to eat at mcdonalds and dunkin donuts a minimum of 12 times per week ?  :workout:

• Like 1

LechonBuddha

Being lean is becoming a minority in a lot of countries especially the USA.Will the day come when lean people are investigated for possibly being terrorist?Will doctors continue to try to heal lean folks with drugs?Will exercise become against the law?Will we all be forced to eat at mcdonalds and dunkin donuts a minimum of 12 times per week ?  :workout:

No. I'm sure the bias against overweight people will continue. Fortunately for me I like a woman with a little meat on her bones.  :friends:

contraman

If you use the BMI as a test for obesity, almost everyone will be deemed obese. :(

broden

what if you get a lot of liposuction right before you die?

contraman

Geezzz that has to be the longest topic header yet :)

For Real

what if you get a lot of liposuction right before you die?

You don't have to pay for the excess baggage at the departure lounge.

• Like 3

Humboldt

I think it's natural we but on some weight as we age .

I gained about 1 pound a year from , High School , wrestling weight 180 lb

now 210 I've been holding 210 past five yrs ...

the only time I was on a diet was in H.S. trying to drop a weight class with the help of those white

pills (speed)

Exercise is the secret do it or pay later for not doing it ..

I can't afford to get sick so I have no choice , Eat healthy and get some exercise

its the quality not the quantity of years in life

Cipro

I'll have to weigh in in favor of quantity on this one. 

ex231

That's o.k. by me, it just makes more room for we normal sized people on planes, trains, buses, and so on. Weight equals fuel consumption, they should all charge by the pound just as they do with excess baggage.

I've heard this one before. Sounds good on paper but the proponents of this would probably be the first ones screaming if they had to pay more for shoes because they had big feet, more for a haircut because they had thicker hair, more for hats because their head was bigger .. All of those things are usually based on averages.

I'm overweight  but it's all right in front of me where I can see it lol My ass fits in a airline seat as well as a skinny guy's. The only problem I have with planes is that my shoulders don't fit into the narrow seat backs and I don't think that's unusual for most guys. It's also why I always get a window seat so that I can lean over towards the window and not take up some skinny little farts "space".

When I was in HS I could not gain weight no matter how much I ate, and I ate a LOT. I was 5'9" and weighed 118lbs when I graduated. Now I don't eat much more than my 87lb wife but still seem to be gaining weight. I lost about 53 lbs a few years back on a low carb diet and I think I'll try that again. I'm limited as far as exercise due some pretty serious back problems.

It's always funny to me though to hear guys ridiculing fat guys. Not always, but usually, they are the ones that can eat anything and everything and not gain. If I so much as even see a donut I can put on a couple of pounds.

SkyMan

ts the quality not the quantity of years in life

I'll have to weigh in in favor of quantity on this one. 

I want both.  Does that make me a bad person?

davidn

Maintaining an appropriate diet is key to avoiding obesity, and this includes cutting out refined sugars, "diet" soft drinks, cheap carbohydrates from processed flours and genetically modified organisms (GMOs). Contrary to popular belief, fats are an important part of a healthy diet, including saturated fats, as are whole, fresh fruits and vegetables grown in nutrient-dense soils.

I would like to know if that is a direct quote, or is your own contribution? If it is a quote, where from?

Whilst maintaining an appropriate diet is certainly key, the rest of it is mostly nonsense. All sugars need to be controlled, and not simply the "refined" ones. Diet (sugar free) drinks can help to achieve that and are therefore useful, and not destructive, to the aim. GMOs have no impact at all on whether an individual foodstuff should be included in a calorie controlled diet. We all need some fat, but the point is that currently we tend to eat far too much. Whole, fibre rich, fruit and vegetables are all good, no matter what soil they get grown in, provided they receive the proper nutrition.